0 comments

American

Today was a new day, I could feel it. I was going to perform the move off-piste on my skis. I had been working on it for months and I thought I was ready. I was almost sure of it. I was hoping to perhaps get close. If I did, then maybe I would only have to work on what I did wrong. I could perhaps then move on and feel accomplished. Maybe I could show my family and friends and family I could ski. It wasn't a waste of time.

I've been trying to get this move for months. I didn't even know what it was when I started. But once I learned about it, I learned that I really wanted to try to do it. I could at least try to do it. Maybe I would be a natural. The first time I performed the move, I fell over. It was definitely a blow to my ego above all else. I felt that I needed to do it. I tried and tried but I always messed it up one way or another. So then I broke it up into little chunks. I learned to do it in little chunks. And I completed the last one.

Today I was going to put it all together. I was sure that I could do it. It couldn't be that bad. I have tried for months, and now coming to do it was going to be the best pat on the back I've ever had. I was ready for this to happen. I had been ready for a few days, but today was the first free day I'd had in two weeks. Let's just say work has been my first priority for a while. But today, there was no way in any type of day or age that I would decide not to try. That I could do this. I was positive.

I put on my skis after walking all the way up the hill. I zipped up my coat, put on my gloves and goggles. I hopped I looked really cool to the people around me. Like someone in a montage. That's what I was going for at least. I waddled out and pushed myself down the hill and boom, I was off. I broke it down for myself, and it almost felt easy. It was easy. I couldn't believe it. I had done it. I was so proud of myself. I went back in.

The people inside said I did a great job, and I should do it for a competition that was coming up. I agreed to do it, reluctantly. That's right. I was worried I might mess up. I did it right one time. But those people almost looked like they expected me to do it. I had to agree if I didn't want to look like a wimp. So I signed the paperwork. To take my mind off it, I got back on the hill and continued to ski. It felt good to have accomplished this.

I had to tell my family and friends. Tell them. My parents said they would come. I could tell they were trying to be supportive, but they really weren't. My siblings were busy and a few of my friends were coming. Most of the people that were coming were the people who told me I should do it. They had people already doing it.

One month later, I was told I was ready. I showed up and waddled to the top of the hill. The horn sounded and the first person went. We were going to be judged individually, which means everyone would be watching me. I was afraid I was going to mess up or people would laugh at me. After number twenty-seven, it was my turn. I went at the horn. At first, I was doing fine, but then, I strayed off-piste. I tried to regain and make it look like I knew what to do, but inside I felt so disappointed in myself.

I finished and went back to where I was before. I was so excited at first, and know my chances of winning were over. Not to mention number thirty was probably the best out there. They did the most perfect off-piste. I couldn't even recuperate after attempting mine. Not to mention the smug look on their face. While they were judging once the last person was done, they came up to me. I really didn't want to talk to them.

"Hi! You look new to competing. You did an interesting job. But just know that I'm the winner around here. I always race with this number and I come here to win. Not be defeated. Ok?" They looked too sugary sweet. But I knew that this meant war. I hoped that the interest they mentioned meant they felt threatened by me. I hoped that I had won. I just nodded. "Good." They waltzed off. I did not want to hear from them anyway.

We were then marched back out in order. The first judge comes up to the microphone. "Hello! Each and everyone did a great job out here today, but there can only be one winner. Each of you deserves the award. But in the end, we narrowed it down to three people. May I get a drumroll please?"

The audience gives the judge a drumroll. My heart was beating so loud, I was sure it counted. "The third-place winner is number twenty!" Everyone clapped and twenty went up to retrieve their prize. "Next in second place is number one!" One went to get their prize during the applause. "And, in the first place, we have number twenty-eight!" I'm shocked. "Nice moves!" I go up and get my award. The judge thanks everyone for coming. I'm still shocked. I beat number thirty. I won! My family, friends and I celebrated the rest of the day and I was so rejoiceful.

I guess in the end I did show them I could do it. And even with a hiccup, I was still able to do it. I encourage everyone to try something new and try to persist. Working hard on something was an important skill to have. You should always at least try, or break it down so you can understand it better.

January 19, 2022 21:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.