Millennials

Submitted into Contest #4 in response to: Write a story based on the song title: "My Generation"... view prompt

0 comments

General

Millennial's. The funny thing is most millennial's don't care enough to know what a millennial is. The newest generation; the two thousands kids. We’ve all grown up with Disney Channel being the most technology we'd ever see while simultaneously portraying the life we all wished to live. Most trouble we’d get in is sneaking out to the big green bulky power box to pretend were smoking cigarettes. Now, we have upgraded, juuls are permanently housed in the palm of our hands. I'm a millennial myself. I know millennial's suck. 

 Technology. The epitome of this generations’ problem. Our phones are always there for us waiting with hundreds of thousands of people at our fingertips. It's actually pretty scary if you think about it. If past generations had even a fraction of that power we'd all be dead. Imagine Adolf Hitler with a Facebook. Terrifying. I know how absurd that sounds, but you can't deny that's how people see it. Anyways, I think Twitter, Snap-chat, Instagram, the whole shebang is great. Think someones cute? Scroll on their Instagram for two hours, then give yourself a heart attack when you like a picture from two thousand fourteen. I know you know we've all done that 

Social media. Social media is the top thing that pops to every millennial's mind when technology is ever brought up. All social media’s do is make everyone self-centered cowards who can't ask the McDonald's employee for another ketchup packet. Instead of screaming at each other in person where your words’ backspace doesn't exist, “Let me take twenty minutes to craft the perfect response on messenger,” is now the normal train of thought. Sometimes it's kind of fantastic. Take my situation as an example.. 

Your typical hot girl/guy syndrome. We’ve all been through it. You see someone's smile then sit lost in your thoughts dreaming of what your house and kids will be like together. Their voice just does something to your inside as if you'd taken out your brain and handed it to them. That rush of sitting behind them waiting for the roll to be called just so you can hear them say the simple “here!” giving you their name allowing you to search through every Instagram page to ever exist, but it all pays off when you find it. When you find them. 

It'd be a new generation love story how it seems. You know finding their Instagram, you message them there's a connection you fall in love and never fall out of it.   But that's not how it works now. Now the love stories come to a bump in the road. Why you may ask, ̈It's so simple?” 

Let me break it down for you. I find them on the wonderful web. I follow, they follow back. I initiate the beginning of our story with a ̈hey. ̈  They respond. That's Just the beginning. 

They say  ̈hello ̈ just like most normal humans do when greeted. Me being me skips over the typical “wyd?” “nun wbu?” "same.” conversation everyone loves to have for absolutely no reason. I jump directly to telling them what they've always needed to hear. How their skin looks like the deep sand no one ever seems to see laying beneath millions of other layers. How looking at their eyes give me a more surreal feeling than goosebumps from the best song. How the tone of their voice feels like hugging in front of a fire while the warm reds and oranges take the place of new coloring on our faces. Telling them how I feel seems about right. But then they read it and don't reply. 

An entire week slips away. They had a change in heart. They reply. They tell me, they've been afraid to talk to me, but I'm the one they think of when they lay in bed at night. Can you believe that? Seemed perfect. Does anyone's ‘crush’ actually like them back? It was like I had put the last piece in the puzzle making the picture finally make sense. The satisfaction of knowing I did everything right, and got exactly what I was craving. Insane. 

Weeks went by knowing they were their for me made life bright again.They made life worth it. I loved being sad around them. Knowing they were there and could pick me up again made me feel alive. I hated smoking, but I loved taking a hit knowing your lips were in the same spot. I literally have asthma and I smoked, just for them.. I started to fall deeper and deeper into a bottomless world ran by this person. I know your probably thinking I'm in it just for the touch. To put it into less taboo terms, I'm referring to the sex. Their body naked was nothing less than being clothed. I warned you I wasn't a typical shallow millennial. Seeing the way their mind worked means more to me.

The weeks kept streaming by. We got drunk. We smoked weed. We bought matching juuls. Yes I just said matching juuls. My dream really was my reality. It seemed all too good for me. Life is never supposed to stay this great. I was right. The only thing we started sharing was our second hand smoke.

The grip of their hand got looser. Instead of talking about the scar I got when I was four from falling off the tire swing, the rooms silence made me want to talk about the weather. Yeah I know right the weather? They used to love my music, but change the station now. They used to love being alone together.. They used to love me. 

“I don’t love you, you should be thankful,” they whispered “I needed attention, but you gave me too much. Too much is worse than nothing sometimes. I need to focus on me. You're just not worth it anymore.” “I know I crossed my heart to stay, but I never hoped to die” she continued “I could say sorry but I know it wouldn't matter now” 

Yeah I know ouch.. I could have cried pleaded and begged them to stay, but what would that have accomplished? I just wish I was in love with the idea of them instead of them.All I have left are the fake memories.  I gave them everything, and still ended up on the bottom. But why? How could that be? One word. Entitlement. 

Entitlement. Millennial's are fueled by their entitlement. You can give them the whole world but they'll want Mars instead. Being selfless is lame. Selfishness is the new trend. Millennial's think their entitled to everything, money, jobs, winning, friends, family, and love. Millennial's suck. 


August 30, 2019 18:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.