1 comment

Historical Fiction

A still, yellow-hued candle sat in the freshly cleaned window. Its panes framed a view of cut down cornfields that grabbed the horizon by the throat. If you were to step out of the patched screen door and down the grayed cobble steps you would freeze clear to the bone as the wind sang a wind tune of frostbite. Little Beth was startled by the melody and slammed the door on the Wilson house. 

“Annabeth please sit at the table,'' her mother’s sweet, smooth voice rang down the hall. 

Little Beth kicked off her boots and through her swing coat to the floor. She dashed for the dinner table and landed with grace on her seat. Beth’s chair was white with engraved irises filled with dust and crumbs to match 5 other seats around the off white table. Her seat was placed next to her sister, Jane. Jane was oddly quiet as she slid her fingers up and down the sides of her mother's finest, but actually only, china. A gift from her wealthy parents on her wedding day. Jane’s hair sat on her head in milkmaid braids as wisps danced in the air with every movement of her head. To her right was their darling mother. Only 33 and mother to 4, the eldest being Jane at 13 and the youngest Little Beth at 4. Their mother, Alice, was a pale small woman. She stood 5’3 in one sock and was an immensely kind sole. She didn’t even fuss over her husband leaving for the war in February, making this easily the last Thanksgiving with him. The kids were in the dark about this. 

The other half of her children were the middle boys. Carl, age 11, always a rambunctious child. He was known to get into mischief and his teachers made his parents very aware of it. To carl's left was Roy. Roy was 8 and a half to the day, he would let you know if you asked. Roy was a special child, learned the alphabet and how to read before the rest of the kids his age. Their mother loved all her children and sacrificed her life to raising them with love and care. 

The children’s father was a tall, muscular man who intimidated anyone until they got to know him. While he tended to be more standoffish he was very giving and would always lend an ear to those who needed it. He had dark black hair and a fading tan from working in the fields all summer in scorching heat that he could still feel on his face. He smiled lovingly at his beautiful wife and laughed at how blessed he was. His name was Charles May. And this was his May family. The boys talked amongst themselves as Little Beth situated herself at the table. 

“What were you so busy with Sweetheart”, Charles said smiling at his daughter's wandering face. 

“I was lookin for Tuna!”, she said tilting her lip unhappily wondering where the cat adventured to this time. 

“Tuna is probably all warm and cozy in the barn darling,'' her mother said, putting a hand on her head, “plenty of hay in there for her.” 

Beth looked at her plate, filled with baked potatoes, cornbread, beans and picked up her fork.

“Beth! No, we gotta say grace!”, Carl almost screamed.

Charles gave him a look, and then agreed, “Let us all join hands and I’ll lead us.”

He began, “Dear Lord above, thank you for this day, as frightful as it may be outside, you have provided us with a warm house and food. Thank you for the love of my family. Allowing me to protect them.”

Alice swallowed hard at that part. 

“Thank you for bringing us together as a whole family. Amen.”

There was a choir of “amens” from the rest of the family but then Charles shouted, “let's eat!” 

The boys were the first to act, attacking the turkey sitting in front of them. It had been killing their stomachs as they were waiting for Little Beth, but now it was all theirs. Carl cut into the warm turkey under the close surveillance of his father. The boys took their share and started to devour it. While the girls waited their turn they began on the food already placed on their plates. Jane scoped butter for her bread and helped Little Beth do the same. As the butter slowly melted Jane glanced at her mother. She returned the look.

“What is it dear?”, Alice begged, in a voice laced with sweet concern.

“Nothing”, Jane picked up her fork and played with her potatoes with her right hand and balled the skirt of her dress with the left. Her dress was a light lavender color with green vines on the hem, which hit her at her ankles that faded into her pale skin that was reddened by the wreath of candles that crowned the table centerpiece. 

An inquisitive look appeared on Alice’s face. She decided to start on her food and watch Roy and Beth to make sure they didn't make a mess or bump their glasses with their elbows. Alice pulled up the left sleeve of her silk blouse, the color of the sun that set, an hour ago. Her top was stuffed into a cream-colored skirt that hung on her slim waist. She had strong arms which were the only thing among her body and soul wasn’t soft and supple about the woman. Alice took her time to eat. The nuclear family all sat in silence with the exception of  Charles asking how each of their days were. 

“What a handsome sight this is”, Charles chuckled deeply, “My beautiful family, I couldn't be happier or more thankful.”

Even Jane glowed at this comment. The boys rolled their eyes. 

“Hey, dad!”, Roy started, “I heard it might snow next week!”

“I heard the same thing, buddy. Carl will have to help me shut up the barn again and I want you to learn how so maybe you two can do it by yourselves next year.”

“But dad”, Carl groaned as he chewed his gravy-soaked turkey.

“Well I guess Roy will get both dimes then”, Charles glanced away knowing Carl would change his tune.

“Oh well wait a minute!”, Carl blurted out, “I’ll help I promise!”

Charles let out another cavernous laugh at this sudden “change of heart.” Jane and Little Beth also giggled to themselves at this scene while, Alice expanded her permanent smile. This perfect night was a drastic difference from the normal chaos of their seemingly simple life. The candles reflected off their glasses and stuffed the room with its yellow hue. 

“I’d like to help as well daddy”, Jane spoke like a mouse.

“Oh sweetie you don’t need to fuss with that”, Alice grinned.

“Well you know I could always use an extra hand, Alice”, Charles turned his eyes to Jane, “You're welcome to help us out Jane, just gotta be careful with this cold. This cold will run up and bite you and we don’t need you sick on us girly.” 

Jane smiled to herself at this. She was not the masculine, rebel type, but enjoyed the small adventures she could sail upon at her family farm. She would skip through the souring cornfields in the summer, alongside her brothers. Jane could talk to the air as if it were a friend, and relax with this figment in the warm grass by the pound that was now sealed by an inch of mean ice. 

The family was as a whole, happy. Those of them that understood time and its value, which was only three of them. This dinner was simple but beautiful, small but massive to them. It was a moment that would live in Roy, Carl, and Jane’s mind for years. Little Beth, however, would have it lost between her last birthday and the upcoming new year by the time she is Jane’s age. For Jane can’t recall her 4th Thanksgiving, even if it was the last one with her dear Grandmother, Hilda. Our sweet Little Beth perhaps will remember her father's handsome face, smile, and deep inspiring voice but who could tell at this point. As years of information blocks the warm memories of this cold night she may learn the importance of time that she now lacks. 

Beth lifted a large swallow of potatoes to her rosy lips and somehow managed to fit it all in with a smile. After slowly attempting to chew this mass of vegetables she swallowed and let out a small cough followed by a grin of satisfaction. Alice was a divine cook, her hands making the most masterfully prepared vegetables, salted to perfection, to the sweet and sour cherry pie that awaited the family in the kitchen. The pie was a creation of Alice’s own special recipe, an alteration of one handed down by her mother. Needless to say, each portion of the families meal, was well made and delicious. Every evening there was an amazing dish awaiting them but tonight and Christmas night Alice pulled out all of her tricks and even experimented with different spices and amounts of butter she added to her food. 

Charles spoke up, breaking the lonely sound of chewing, “ Tomorrow I think we better attend the church picnic. Pastor Lee asked that we come and that you help to decorate the church house for the event.” 

“I don’t know about decorating but I’d be happy to whip something up for the occasion”, Alice bit her lip thinking of what creation she could present. 

“It’s only an idea, but they could probably use a hand. With Mrs.Wellwish being so sick I think they are a little lost. I’m sure that she is in charge of that.”

Alice sighed, “perhaps I’ll stop by to lend a hand.”

“I could help out Mama”, Little Beth blurted out, her mouth half full of potato. 

Alice giggled placing her hand on Beth's soft head once again, “Of course dear. Now please swallow before you speak, it's polite.”

Little Beth swallowed hard. She opened her mouth to show and then continued to cram more food into her mouth. 

Once the plates were a mess from the family’s eating, Alice glided to the kitchen collecting her desserts. Jane followed close behind to help her mother. Alice walked in carrying her cherry pie and another that was apple. Jane, still following her mother, brought in two trays filled with a variety of cookies. 

The boys turned around in their chairs at the sweet distinctive smell of their mother's treats. Basically licking their lips their gaze followed the dishes to the table. They began snatching all they could as soon as it hit the table. Alice started to slice the pies, first the cherry than the apple. She then served a slice to Little Beth, then herself and passed it alone down the table. 

“Smells overwhelmingly delicious, honey”, Charles sweetly remarked as he stole a cookie from the plate. The rich chocolate chips melted in his mouth, followed by a sea of sweet dough that crashed on his taste buds. He closed his eyes, taking it in. 

“It tastes ten times better than the smell,'' he smiled to his beloved wife.

A light blush appeared on Alice’s porcelain face, “Thank you, darling.”

As the dinner concluded there was more conversation of past Thanksgivings, the upcoming Christmas, and Carl’s dire need for a bike, that expanded the topic of Christmas. Charles was pleased with the evening, how well it went and how they could all come together and appreciate the time spent together and the love and warmth they all shared at that moment. It was a blissful evening and despite the cold, the boys ran out the door when dinner was dismissed to throw a ball with their dad. Meanwhile, Alice fixed a fire for her soon to be numb boys. She instructed her girls to clear the table and wash up. 

It was a lovely, full and complete last Thanksgiving for Charles May.



November 26, 2019 02:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Alicia Trevino
21:13 Dec 04, 2019

I love the Little House on the Prairie vibes this story has. You have a knack at description that transports you further into the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.