0 comments

Drama Friendship Romance

When Cheryl graduated from high school her father, Paul, let her keep the old Plymouth Duster that she had driven to school from time to time. Cheryl planned on going to college in the fall and her boyfriend, Steve, had received a full scholarship in baseball. She was heading to State but he was heading for a university half way across the country. And to make matters worse. The Summer hit hard and fast. By graduation, at the end of May, the temperature was already topping ninety degrees.


“Hey honey. Your father and I are planning on going up to the cabin this fourth of July. Do you want to come?” her mother Carol asked one day in late June.


“That sounds like fun. Sure, why not,” Cheryl answered.


“We were thinking about taking off Thursday afternoon. Do you think that you can get off?” Carol asked.


“I don’t know mom. My boss can be pretty demanding at times,” Cheryl said.


“I guess I’ll just have to have a talk with him. You deserve some time off,” Carol stated and then gave her a wink.


“If you think it will help, go for it,” Cheryl said and gave her a peck on the cheek as she headed to the bathroom to wash up for supper.


“I can be pretty persuasive. Besides, if he wants to get any between now and then...” Carol stated as her daughter disappeared around the corner.


“MOTHER! I don’t need to hear that,” Cheryl exclaimed as she washed her hands.


“Hey! What’s all the commotion about?” Paul asked as he walked in and started washing his hands in the kitchen sink.


“Your wife’s saying that she’s gonna cut you off if you don’t let me come with you up to the cabin this fourth,” Cheryl said as she came back into the kitchen.


“You wanna come, huh?” Her father asked.


“Sure. It will help get my mind off of the fact that Steve will be half way round the world while I’m stuck here at State this fall,” Cheryl quipped.


“Winslow is not half way around the world sweetie. It’s only a thousand miles,” Paul explained as they sat down to eat.


“To a young couple in love dear. It might just as well be,” Carol interjected.


“Sorry. Say! Why don’t you see if Steve wants to stop by on the fourth. It’ll be great. We’ll sit by the fire pit. Melt some smores and then watch all the fireworks together,” Paul stated as they ate.


“Do you think you can get along knowing that we’ll be in the same house after dark?” Cheryl quipped.


“Yeah! I trust you two. Besides, I’ll just put a padlock on your bedroom door,” her dad replied.


“Ha, funny. I’ll ask him, but I don’t know if he has plans already,” Cheryl stated.


"That’s fine dear. Ask him anyway,” her mom said as they ate supper.


“So. Do you think you can handle the work without me at the shop?” Cheryl asked between bites.


“Jeez I don’t know. I’ve had the business now for twelve years and you’ve only been workin there for four. Don’t know If I’ll be able to get by. I may have to hire on another guy to take over for ya,” her dad quipped.


“You’ll need to hire two,” Cheryl jabbed back.


They all had a good laugh and then they ate their supper while they made small talk.


They drove up to the cabin and got settled in. Cheryl and her dad went out fishing early one morning before it got hot. Huh, before it got hot. It was five in the morning and it was already seventy five degrees with the humidity around sixty five percent. It was like a sauna. They brought back a nice mess of Lake Trout and Walleyes. Paul cleaned them and they ate them for lunch.


Steve showed up that next day and that evening they melted a bunch of smores and watched all the fireworks before retiring for the night.


On the drive back home. Cheryl rode with Steve. As they were driving through town, Steve’s car broke down. He popped the hood and Cheryl took a look. It was determined that his fuel pump quit working. Cheryl called her dad and he told her that he was out of stock and to call Ted.


Ted owned and operated the local parts house. Cheryl called him and asked about the fuel pump.


“Is it for your Duster?” he asked.


“Nope. It’s for Steve’s Impala. The three fifty, nineteen eighty,” Cheryl replied.


“Sorry Cheryl. I’m out. I can get you one here in three days,” he stated.


“That’s fine. He’s gonna need one anyway. You got electric?” she asked.


“Yeah. Quite a few,” he replied.

“Great. We’re only a couple blocks away. We’ll be right over,” Cheryl stated and then hung up.


When Cheryl and Steve got to the parts store, Ted was in the process of ordering the pump. Steve gave him the particulars on his car while Cheryl shopped around. She grabbed a few feet of gas line, some clamps, electrical wire, electrical connectors and an electric fuel pump. Steve paid for the parts and they headed back to his car. Cheryl unhooked the gas lines from the mechanical pump and hooked the electric fuel pump to them. She found a spot to mount the new pump, hooked up the electrical and had Steve start the car. It ran beautifully. Just as she was about to shut the hood, her dad showed up with a bunch of tools.


“Your too late. Already got er done,” Cheryl said when he walked up.


He gave the job his once over and shut the hood.


“Ted getting a new pump?” he asked.


“Yep. Be here in three days. This will get him by until then,” Cheryl stated as she wiped her hands with a rag.


“That will last for years. Ted will call me when the new pump arrives. Bring it in and I’ll put it in for you. Leave the electric there. It will save the day if the new pump goes to hell. I’ll show you how to hook it back up before you leave the shop,” Paul said.


“No need. Cheryl gave me the tutorial as she put it in. Thanks anyway,” Steve said as Paul got back in his truck.


“If you ever want to get rid of that old junker Steve. Give me a call. I’ll give you a fair price,” Paul stated.


“Thanks sir. But I think I’ll keep it for a while longer,” Steve said as he and Cheryl got into the car.


“Okay Steve. Just remember me if you do decide to sell it,” Paul said and then pulled away.


The next few weeks seemed long and drawn out. It was almost to hot and sticky for dating. Almost. Cheryl and Steve spent as much time as they could with each other before they had to get ready for college. Cheryl had done as much of the registration and work on line for college that she could and the only thing left to do was get her dorm assignment. That she planned on doing about ten days before classes got underway.


“Damn I wish this heat wave would break,” Cheryl stated one Saturday night down by Lovers Lane.


“I don’t mind it,” Steve offered.


“Yeah cuz ya get to see me in these short shorts and tank top,” Cheryl quipped.


“Well… There’s that and the fact that this last winter didn’t want to end. I relish the heat. Come November you’ll be wishing for some of this heat to come back,” Steve offered.


“Go ahead. Rub it in. Your sorry ass will be in sunny Arizona. I’ll be stuck back here in Minnesota,” she stated.


“Hey! It’s not my fault that my scholarship was from Arizona. I’m going where they send me. College is college as far as I’m concerned. I would have loved to stay here in Minnesota to be close to you,” Steve said as he gave her a good long kiss.


“I know that. I do love you,” she said and then rolled on top of him and kissed him long and passionately.


Steve packed up his car and then drove down to Arizona a week before classes and Cheryl had already taken some things over to State about two weeks before her classes started. After breakfast the Sunday before the start of the semester, she gave the old Duster a quick once over, tossed in a few more last minute things and sat around. Her drive was less than two hours so she didn’t have to leave until later that afternoon.


“Well. You drive safe. Call us if you need anything. And that goes for just talking too,” her dad said as they ate lunch.


“I will. And I love you too dad,” she said and gave him a peck on the cheek.


“I tossed a gallon of mixed anti freeze and a quart of oil in your trunk just in case you need it,” her dad said.


“Thanks. I just changed the oil and filter two weeks ago and checked to make sure the radiator was up to snuff. The car is good to go. Me. Not so much,” Cheryl confessed.


“You’ll be and do okay dear. And we are only a phone call away,” her mom stated and then they finished their lunch.


All to soon it was time for Cheryl to start heading out. She hugged her mom and dad, gave them each a kiss and through teary eyes she climbed into her car and started the engine. Just as she slipped the car into gear, the sky opened up and it started to rain.


“My sentiments exactly!” she stated as she drove down the long driveway with tears in her eyes.


End.

August 02, 2020 17:52

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.