32 comments

Fiction Contemporary

David closed his eyes and rested his head in his hands for just one moment. The midwife was doing her ‘thing’ and David preferred to know as little about the ‘thing’ as possible. It had been such a long time since he had slept, he thought wearily, as his brain presented visions of blankets and pillows invitingly on his closed lids. They had induced Rosie at 8pm and he dared not look again at the clock. The last time he checked, it was 6am, and he was almost sure that had been hours ago. But who was he to complain? Rosie was the one who was doing all the work.

“Good news Rosie, you’re nearly fully dilated and effaced. It’s not time to push yet, but soon.” The midwife was so calm, which was a good sign, he hoped. Rosie nodded, eyes wide, face flushed, a determined set to her expression. She could do this. She was a woman with the most grit and determination that David had ever met, and he was so proud of her.

Eight months ago, the course of their lives had changed, or rather, it had been totally derailed. At a time when they should be exploring their own future together, planning midlife-crisis cruises and couples-getaway holidays, Rosie had done what they had never thought possible. She had conceived. It was their second pregnancy, the first occurred eighteen years earlier, an unplanned teenaged pregnancy. This time it was an unplanned geriatric pregnancy. Oh, to be considered geriatric at thirty-six, but it was true. Because of her age, she was considered in the high-risk group. And because of this risk, David had not had a good night’s sleep in the last eight months.

Usually Rosie was the worrier. She would give herself stomach upsets overthinking issues. What if… was her catch phrase. What if it doesn’t work? What if we can’t afford it? What if we’re making a mistake? But something about this pregnancy seemed to calm her, an almost fatalistic acceptance, and if she worried about anything, David wasn’t aware of it. Instead, he was the one with sleepless worries. He was nearly forty, he would be nearly sixty years old by the time the baby graduated high school. It meant retirement and future plans were pushed out on an indefinite timeline.

Rosie grabbed his hand, and he whipped his head up. She was breathing those soft, open mouth pants the midwife had coached them in. A trickle of sweat rolled down her face, and she moaned, a sound quite feral and animalistic. His Rosie would never make that sound in real life, but this was not real life. The lack of sleep had him unsure of what life this was, but it was certainly an alternate one. However, the half moon gouges in the back of his hand may beg to differ, each crescent imprinted there by an impossible strength.

“Ice!” Rosie demanded, once the wave of pain had eased, her voice desert dry. David leapt into action and carefully scooped the ice chips into her mouth. She collapsed, exhausted, onto the mountain of pillows, but the respite was only momentary, as a new contraction engulfed her and the soft moan gained volume and pitch once more until it ended in a savage cry, almost a scream.

“Breathe…” David coached, focusing his own breath on the open mouth pants they’d been coached in.

“I… am… breathing…!” She hissed at him through clenched teeth. “I can’t… I … just… can’t…”

“You’re doing so good. You can. I’m here, take my hand, breathe with me.”

He was there for her. Always. From the very first time they’d stared in disbelief at the twin lines on the pregnancy test when she was barely eighteen to this moment, about to become parents again in their late thirties. But he’d be lying to say he hadn’t thought about running. He’d never admit it, not to a single soul, not a priest, a therapist or mentor, and certainly not to Rosie.

She had been his rock, getting him through university while she stayed home with their newborn daughter, Allie. Living with his in-laws for that first year was a blessing and a curse. In built assistance and babysitting meant he hadn’t been required to do any of the newborn parenting. They had all agreed that his focus should be on completing the last year of his degree in order to get a full time, well-paying job. But this was a curse too, because they had never forged through those formative parental learning moments as a unit. He had no idea of what to expect in the new parent stage, and there would be no help this time.

“It’s time, Rosie,” the midwife interrupted his train of thought. “On the next contraction, I want you to push. Dad, if you could help support her.”

Supporting Rosie. That’s your role here. Focus on this moment, David, he thought, slipping his arms behind his wife, as she heaved with strain on the next wave of pain.

He thought of all the times when he had woken to find Rosie pacing the floor, gently bouncing Allie, soothing her fretfulness. He’d never even heard the baby cry, yet Rosie was there, dark rings about her eyes, hair a tangled mess, as she dealt with yet another midnight to dawn session of sleeplessness. She’d protected him from that, telling him his studies were important, and he needed his sleep.

“Another big push.” The voice was calm and confidently controlled. David was not. It was getting closer, more real. They were going to have a baby. Funny how the nine months of knowing, and preparing, and gynaecology visits, and birthing classes still didn’t make it real. It was only as he faced the impending birth, knowing that he was moments away from holding this new life in his arms, a new life that Rosie had cradled for this whole time, that he began to panic. There was no turning back! Life would never be the same again. How would he do it? How was he going to balance a newborn and his workload?

After David had established his career, Rosie had been determined to get her degree, even as she juggled a toddler and late night study sessions. She really was amazing, but David would be lying if he said that there weren’t moments that he wished things were different. Moments that he wished for the freedom that his friends had at the time, wished for more time just for the two of them. And this moment, about to become a father for the second time, was the biggest moment to date. In this moment, he was that terrified youth again, wishing for a different life.

Minutes ticked down, blending into what felt like hours, and still Rosie strained, growing weaker and more exhausted with each push. At the end of the bed, a doctor conversed with the midwife, and David could hear the concern in their voices.

“Rosie, I need you to push, love,” he whispered into his wife’s ear, as he rested her head back against his chest.

“I… am!” Her voice was weak. The next wave of pain hit her, and David could feel it ripple through her body as it crested. He felt her shudder as she strained with the effort.

“Yes, that’s it,” the midwife affirmed as Rosie pushed through the next wave of contractions. “O.K. just pant… and…there’s the head, shoulder…one more big push!” With one last concerted effort, a wail filled the room, a newborn cry and Rosie burst into tears.

“You did it, love,” David praised her as he laid a gentle kiss against her cheek. “You are amazing.”

The midwife passed the baby up onto Rosie’s chest, it’s squashed little face nuzzling as it cried blindly.

“Oh, David, it’s a boy! We have a son.”

He had a son. David was not sure how he felt. A future of dreams suddenly overwhelmed him and he stroked a trembling finger down the baby-soft cheek. Sleepless nights, midnight feeds, nappy changes, daycare and school runs, first teeth and wisdom teeth, football, or soccer, dance or drama classes, high school and university, cars and licenses, dates and parties. The future was unlimited, unwieldy, and unpredictable, but David knew one thing for certain in that one single moment. He wanted it all.


April 25, 2023 03:18

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

32 comments

Amanda Lieser
03:27 May 09, 2023

Hi Michelle, Oh, the story touched my heart! You did such an amazing job of weaving in the beautiful love story of Rosie and David, while also telling an amazing birth story. I loved the way that you kept all of their details so alive from the moment that they met all the way through to the moment that David gets to see the birth of his son. I also really liked the way that you captured David’s thought process through these intense moments. Nice work!!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
09:27 May 09, 2023

Thank you. I’m happy that it touched you. Sometimes a beautiful love story is what we need.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
06:49 May 04, 2023

Lovely story. Beautifully written. I remember being in David's shoes very well (4 times!!🤣)

Reply

Michelle Oliver
11:28 May 04, 2023

Glad you enjoyed it and happy that you could relate to the father here. I think fathers in childbirth are considered quite the sidekick, there for support- not really part of the action so to speak- but incredibly important.

Reply

11:30 May 04, 2023

Absolutely agree! It was so relatable because for our first child the labour started at 8am and went right through 24 hous til the following morning and I did not sleep a wink and I felt mostly useless but tried to be supportive and as helpful as I could without being annoying!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
11:34 May 04, 2023

I can one up you, my first I was 48 hours in labour. My husband said the meat pie from the hospital kiosk was the best pie he’d ever tasted, but probably because he was nearly delirious with exhaustion!

Reply

11:39 May 04, 2023

48!!!!!! omg........!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Zatoichi Mifune
15:10 Jul 18, 2023

I saw 'David' and I thought... hey, is this a sequel? Then Rosie cinched it. Great. Realistic.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
15:13 Jul 18, 2023

I tend to do sequels, they just seem to happen. Thanks for reading it!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ann Espuelas
15:12 May 03, 2023

Love your story. I really appreciated reading about this experience from the partner's point of view.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:20 May 03, 2023

Thanks Ann, a parter is often neglected in the Main Event of birth, so I thought they qualified as a sidekick.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
20:45 May 01, 2023

Like others have said, a good continuation of these characters. What I particularly like is how richly it addresses the prompt. Who's the sidekick here? The dad, because he spent his time establishing a career to support his family. But also, the mom, because she handled the first child so that the dad could focus on his studies and career. But also, the parents, who supported their first child, and now dream of the future with the second. (And the mother's parents, who gave them a place to live.) But also, the midwife and doctor, wh...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:24 May 01, 2023

Thanks Michael, a web of support indeed. It’s interesting that a sidekick is the support person. Although the action would happen with or without them, their presence and support improve the experience in an often undervalued way. Appreciate your comments on this story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Laurel Hanson
20:16 May 01, 2023

This is great. The husband supporting his partner does not get enough credit. I cannot imagine what it was like in the old days when the men were supposed to stay in another room some where and just wait it out. Nor can I really imagine how hard it is to really not be able to do much but, well, be supportive. You've brought that out nicely and evoked the moment of childbirth with depth and clarity.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:26 May 01, 2023

Thank you Laurel. A supportive sidekick (aka husband in this story) makes all the difference. The action will happen with it without them, but the experience is vastly improved by their presence.

Reply

Laurel Hanson
22:27 May 01, 2023

Yep!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Delbert Griffith
13:40 Apr 29, 2023

This is a great continuation of your previous tale, Michelle. Nicely done, I might add. Favorite paragraph: "Rosie grabbed his hand, and he whipped his head up. She was breathing those soft, open mouth pants the midwife had coached them in. A trickle of sweat rolled down her face, and she moaned, a sound quite feral and animalistic. His Rosie would never make that sound in real life, but this was not real life. The lack of sleep had him unsure of what life this was, but it was certainly an alternate one. However, the half moon gouges in the...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
14:16 Apr 29, 2023

Thank you for reading it. I’m happy you enjoyed it. That was my favourite part too.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Lily Finch
02:03 Apr 26, 2023

Michelle, seeing tis continuation from your last story is awesome. Thank you for that. I found the indirect way you fed us both what had transpired with their daughter in upbringing juxtaposed against what they may experience with their son was nicely played. Experiencing childbirth from the father's perspective was a nice read for me as I have no reference for that. I thought that is was very well done. Especially the way you captured the fear/unsureness right up until the moment the baby was placed on the mother's chest. And she announ...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
08:11 Apr 26, 2023

Thanks for reading and leaving such positive and detailed feedback. Also thanks for the pick up, auto correct drives me insane sometimes when I’m typing!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kevin V
00:09 Apr 26, 2023

Ok, wow! Michelle is about all I can say right now. Went through it once almost 30 years ago to the day (hospital, not mid-wife) and the emotions, fears, what-if's, all of it flooded back as I read this. As much as I enjoyed the first story, Empty Nest, I think?, this one I found much more powerful and truly an awesome sequel. The tension, the pace, all came together nicely. And I really like David's character. Well done!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
08:12 Apr 26, 2023

Thanks Kevin, I appreciate your feedback and I’m glad it resonated with you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zack Powell
22:44 Apr 25, 2023

Nice to see this couple again, Michelle, and from the father's POV this time. It's a good interpretation of the prompt - a spouse certainly does qualify as a sidekick, a companion, a partner. On a quick side note, I really appreciate the "recapped" details from the previous story - the re-explanation of their lives when the first child was conceived, the mention of Rosie getting her degree, that kind of stuff. I see a few "sequel" stories skip those crucial details under the assumption that the reader has already read the previous story. Wh...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
23:10 Apr 25, 2023

Thanks for reading this and your detailed analysis. I will look at that last line. I am never good at endings, I have so much angst over where to leave a story, so I really appreciate the constructive feedback here.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
John Jones
14:14 Apr 25, 2023

I’ve been on the father’s side of birthing and you nailed it exactly. All the fears and thoughts that fly through your head were dead on. Great story!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
08:13 Apr 26, 2023

Thanks for your feedback John. I’m happy that you enjoyed the story and could empathise with the character.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
11:05 Apr 25, 2023

Nice. A continued story from your last piece from the father's perspective. Out of the limelight, so to speak. So glad it ended in hopefulness and not a tragedy. He is a wonderful father/husband/supporter.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
11:23 Apr 25, 2023

Thanks Mary, I’m too busy at the moment for drama, either from my children or my characters. I like it when they all just play nice! Thanks for reading.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
11:36 Apr 25, 2023

Always a pleasure reading whatever you write.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
11:42 Apr 25, 2023

Thank you so much. By the way, I only have the first three pages of your story. Did you attach the correct file? I was looking forward to the rest of the story.

Reply

Mary Bendickson
12:00 Apr 25, 2023

It is possible I goofed. My tech-support hubby always tells me I need more organization in what I save. I'll see what he can do to help me send more. Sounds like you are busy, sure you want more? Thanks again.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
12:13 Apr 25, 2023

The story is great, never too busy to read.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.