2 comments

Science Fiction

Sophie, where is my handkerchief, you know very well that, I cannot leave the house until I have a hanky in my pocket. Roger was almost on a run to his workplace as he was getting late for a presentation. But he would never leave without his lucky charm, his white hanky with a simple flower at the end. Though this looks weird, but he had an obsession towards his mother’s gifts and this was very special. He felt his mother was with him on all his special occasions. Roger’s mother had died of heart attack a few years ago, but his attachment towards her was long lasting. Sophie ran like a sprinter to give him his lucky charm. Sophie was exasperated , with a heavy sigh exclaimed, “ Can’t you keep your things in place , if you want them in your hands reach please keep them in a place where they can be easily located, else give me some time to search for it”. Sophie was exhausted and she was frustrated by Roger’s behaviour.

A chubby, young and active Sophie was the soul mate of Roger; she was everything for him after his mother’s demise. “Sophie darling what would I do without you, you are my second mother” He just pinched her cheek. Sophie smiled and said “Don’t flatter me, you are getting late to your work isn’t it”.  “Bye Sophie, take care I will see you in the evening”.

Roger took his chauffeur driven Limousine and went to his work place. It was a very special day for him. His presentation would be given an appreciation which he had longed for past many years.  His presentation was a success, he was nominated for a noted excellence award and his creation would be his innovative patent which would be embellished in his name. This was the most honourable venture for an amateur.

Roger’s happiness was in no bounds, he was overwhelmed by his nomination for a noted award. Finally his dream would be fulfilled, a single step away for cherishing his dream.

He drove his car with full speed to inform his darling Sophie. I know what you readers are thinking, he could’ve just called and informed her about his success, but he wanted to surprise his soul mate by the great news. This was just a nomination, yet it was prestigious.

“Sophie, his voice was loud, where are you, just see what I have got for you, your favourite ice cream and your favourite spray with these lovely colourful orchids.” “Sophie,” Roger’s voice was gentle. “Where are you, are you hiding to surprise me”. Roger entered his bedroom to look for Sophie. Sophie was on bed she was sleeping on her tummy. “Sophie, “ Roger called again , there was no movement , he bent on her and kissed on her cheeks, there was no response either, she lay still without any reaction. Roger was terribly worried; he shook her hard she didn’t budge a bit. “Sophie”, he started screaming on top of his voice. He shifted her position and gave CPR on her chest. His hard thumps went in vain. Roger’s eyes were in tears; his memories went back years ago when Sophie entered his life like an angel sent down to earth.

Roger had lost his mother that was so depressing for him; But Sophie had made his life back to normal. She was everything to him. She was his dream creation, he had created the best partner who would never betray him or leave him at any point of time. He had a bitter experience in choosing a partner, he had made a wrong choice and his life had terribly fallen out. He took many years to come out his depression.  Sophie was a perfect partner whose loyalty was unquestionable.

Once it so happened that Roger met with an accident, he had no one around to take care of him, and even his friends were not around to help him out and Sophie was always there for him. He had fractured his lower limbs which hindered his movement. But Sophie had taken care of him like a child. His paralysed limbs were inactive for a year or so, Sophie’s treatment had made him stand on his legs.

“Sophie my love, you can’t leave me like this, I cannot believe a life without you please come back”. Sophie was motionless. He just lifted her and hugged her tight, he felt something sharp on her back. It was a wire hanging out of her body. He just opened her back cabin where her IC’s were fitted, a mother board which made her move. Yes Roger had created a masterpiece which was almost human, though Sophie was a robot; he had felt a magical touch when she had nursed him during his distress.” Sophie was his creation which would astonish the world by her natural characteristics of a human. She was a humanoid.

Roger was nominated for an award which would be conferred on Innovative Scientists whose creations would amaze the world of Robotics. Though she was a perfect creation, there was some loop holes which had to be corrected. Today she was electrocuted when she tried to charge herself which made her system down.  Roger was fixing these loop holes to make her perfect but he wanted sometime to do so. And today he experienced the worst. Roger revived her back but he had to slog for his work perfection. Finally Sophie was back to normal with her sensuous smile.

Dr. Roger Nolan was honoured with the best Innovative Scientist award for his creation Sophie. Sophie was a humanoid; she was the best creation ever, a miracle indeed. She spoke about her creator and his work and narrated the difficulties he had to face; she laughed and smiled when she spoke about his childish behaviour. Finally she went close to her creator and hugged him and kissed on his cheek. That moment was very emotional everyone in the arena were in tears. Roger felt something wet on his shirt. He was shocked to see Sophie crying.

December 18, 2020 16:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Amber Brownlee
21:15 Dec 23, 2020

Amazing story, very well written.

Reply

Arathi Raghuveer
17:34 Dec 25, 2020

Thank you Amber

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.