1 comment

Christian Fiction Inspirational

You Need Service Credits

Regina Highborn stood to her feet, took a deep breath, looked around, and shouted, “Hey, where is everyone?” “Can’t you see I need help?” “It’s probably tea time!”

Ean McMurphy popped his head up from beyond the hill in the distance. He turned back and surveyed the land. Then, a hand slapped him on the back and said, “Sounds like we got a new resident today.”

“Sure, but I am not taking on any new disciples,” Ean replied. “I believe it’s McDuncan’s turn.” “She only has eight and needs at least two more.”

“Right!” “But, will you make the necessary arrangements?” O’Rear said. Danny O’Rear supervised over a hundred residents and was no novice to these proceedings. He had gained experience before coming to New Ireland. Now he is highly respected for his wisdom and knowledge.

Regina Highborn was frustrated by the lack of attendants. It appeared she’d have to take matters into her own hands. She looks in her pockets and can’t find her I.d. or bank card. She searched for no money and other personal effects. She has nothing to pay someone to attend to her every need. She has never been without money, a credit card, or some form of payment.

“I must have lost everything when I came through that wormhole, or whatever it was.” “But, I am sure when I speak to the person in charge, they will clear everything up and realize who I am and my importance and position.”

Then a crowd gathered around to see the newest member of New Earth carrying on. 

“Hey, just a minute.” “Who do you think you are carrying on in such a manner?” Hagan said.

“Yeah, there’s no place for such a commotion around here,” said Clarence Kennedy.

“Well, where is here, and where is the person in charge?” asked Regina.

“That depends on what you mean by in charge,” said Ean McMurphy. “McMurphy is my name.”

“Highborn, Regina Highborn.” “Is this Ireland?”

“Well, that depends too,” said Clarence.”

“Ok, I have had enough of this chit-chat.” “I need a cup of tea, and no one has come out to greet me, offer me tea, or find my accommodations.” “I demand to see your superiors.”

“Well, right now, I’m it,” said Ean. “Then there is Danny O’Rear, who oversees about a hundred of us.” “But, McDuncan will be your supervisor.”

“I don’t need a supervisor.” “Do you know who I am and who my husband is?”

“Of course we do.” A lady stepped forward, offered a hand, and introduced herself as Matilda McDuncan. “Nobody is married anymore.” “But the man known as your husband in Old Earth, Old Ireland, Aiden Highborn, is over in New Cork.” “Yes, that’s it.”

“Cork?” “He was from Dublin, and his family had been living near Tara for centuries.” “He despised Cork.” “Well, I bet he is Lord over a large plantation.”

“Not hardly,” replied McDuncan. 

“Say.” “Here, I have some money somewhere.” “Hey, you Matilda, where is the bank?” First, I need to make a withdrawal, and then I will show you who I am.”

“Haa ha ha.” Matilda McDuncan and some others laughed so hard they started coughing and holding their bellies. They bent over and rolled on the ground as if they were suffering from convulsions. 

“What is so funny?” “When I made my will, I told them to bring all my gold, silver, jewels, and half of my money to the cemetery.” “I left the other half in the bank.” 

“Just a minute,” Hagan said. “We all know what you did.” 

“Yeah, you didn’t leave any for your children, the poor, the church, or the widows,” Kennedy said. “You left nothing for old Katie.”

“How’d she get here, anyway,” asked Sheamus McGoo.

“Now, now, stop questioning the ways of the Master.” “She must have been merciful to someone, or else word wouldn’t have come down to be merciful to Mrs. Highborm.

“The Master?” “Do you mean there is someone over all this?” asked Regina.

They explained to Regina Highborn that the Master lives in the Middle East. She continued to look for her money and offered to sign a promissory note to pay later. Then a strange thing happened. Several people brought out light refreshments and asked Regina what she would do for them.

“Do for you?” “I don’t do anything for anybody.”

Matilda McDuncan stepped into the crowd and exclaimed, “There is no money here, only service credits.” “The people that served you are like everyone here in New Earth.” “They are servants.” “We have no money here, no need for it.” “Didn’t you read the Word?”

“Oh, yes, the Bible.” “Well, we had a few copies around.” “That was for the servants to read. My parents read those parabolas to me when I was a girl.”

“You mean parables.” “Well, it’s a shame you didn’t pay attention.” “Your money and gold and other valuables are rotting away in the various vaults where you left them,” Matild McFuncan said. “Here we serve, that’s all.”

“You mean all of that teaching about serving was real?” “But, I thought they were just good stories to help us live better lives.” “You know, that whole moral thing.”

“Moral thing?” asked Ean.

“Missy, we all have served, but the supervisors like Ms. McDuncan or Danny O’Rear knew how to serve back in Old Earth.” “Sadly, I just worked, paid my bills, and cared for my family.” “But, I never helped the poor, gave to the church or anything like that. So, I am a small supervisor over two or three.”

Regina High born continued to inquire about money and how things were run. She was stunned that there was no money. “What about the gold over there?” She pointed to New Dublin, and Hagan answered, “Oh, that’s how all the cities are decked out.” “Some people’s houses are like that, but yours is that simple little cottage down there.” “The Master said that was all you had earned.”

“Oh, I never thought I would be without my money.” “How do I get service credits?” Regina asked.

“By serving.” “You serve others and help build the kingdom here.” “But, if you sit around and do nothing, then you don’t eat and can’t participate in fun activities.” “People will not serve you if you don’t serve them,” We all serve the Master by serving each other,” Matilda McDuncan answered.

“I don’t know how to serve.”

“It’s simple.” “Ask your neighbor if they need anything and do what you can.” “As long as you are serving someone, everything is free.” “You can’t keep anything for yourself.” “When you get up in the morning before you have tea go to your neighbor and offer them tea,” said Clarence. “The Master sends special servants to give you rewards from time to time.”

“Yes, here in New Earth, everything runs on service credits.” “The Master adds them to your account every time you serve.” “Serving supervisors is at the lower end.” “He likes it when you serve someone with less than you,” Matilda added. “Unfortunately, you have a zero balance in the area of service credits and rewards.”

The economy of New Earth was unique. Yet, everyone still wondered how Regina Highborn got there. Her family had held titles in Scotland and Ireland for centuries, and now she was in an Ireland that looked like Old Ireland but was different. 

No banks,  money, and no bartering. Just servants, serving and being served and moving up and down the chain of command by how well they served. They traded in service credits, and that made no sense to someone of Regina’s position in society and culture.

Regina had many more unanswered questions. She thought about The Master, where he lived, and whether she would ever see him. Then there was Mr. Highborn. How could he end up in a place like Cork? Still, she considered whether or not this might be the other place. The thought of doing menial tasks for just anybody seemed repulsive.

Yet, now that she understood, it seemed liberating in an odd way. She no longer had to put on airs and brag about how much she had to prove herself. She was important. She had a position, and it was necessary. There is no need for money. They needed her for what she could do, not how much money she had or didn’t have. 

“Service credits!” “It almost sounds like Socialism,” she said.

“Oh, no, honey,” Matilda said. “It’s nothing like that.” “There’s no room for God in any of that, and besides, everyone is truly equal here and loves the Master.” “The supervisors are responsible for teaching and disciplining those under them.” “So, they are still servants.” “No, the governments of Old Earth would not last long here since their goal is to rule and not serve.”

Then Regina was carried to her lowly cottage at the foot of the old hill known as Tara, where her ancestors had once ruled in Old Earth. Someone else had a castle or big mansion up there, and it did no good to complain. She would start at the bottom and serve her way up. She can’t trick, bribe, or buy her way into that big house. 

Besides, she wouldn’t know how to train others. Regina requires much teaching, and it will take time for her to adjust. But that’s all she has now, time.

“By the way,” Wilmer Kelley said. “Does anyone know how Ms. Highborn made it to live among us?”

Everyone stares at Wilmer like little kids anticipating an answer. No one had a clue. Everything Regina Highborn said and did demonstrate that she didn’t belong in New Ireland or anywhere in New Earth. 

“Do you remember that lady that came here who died in pregnancy with a daughter named Katie?” “The one who died at Highborn manor.”

“Oh, her.” “Right.” “She was already old to be child-bearing,” said Sheamus.

“Well, Regina Highborn took and raised that child for her own.” “She promised he mom she would take care of her.” “She sent her to school and then married her to a man named Earl or Duke.” “But Katie is happy,” said Wilmer.

“You mean Ms. Highborn has a heart?” “Well, she did at one time,” Sheamus answered.

Matilda said, “Perhaps she used up those service credits in Old Earth, and her love of money caused her to arrive with a zero balance.”

There’s a lesson for us all. Mind how you go, and be particular. Get some service credits.

August 18, 2022 22:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Rabab Zaidi
14:42 Aug 23, 2022

Very nice. I loved the not - so - subtle moral angle .

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.