0 comments

General

"Cut! That was good! Let's do another one!" 

The cameras clicked to signal the end of a take, as the actors on set re-read their lines to make sure they've got it remembered. The wave of familiarity washed over Pieter as he walked towards the filming crew. All the sounds in the studio were comforting to his ears. Sounds that he would always find himself longing for when he was taking a break. 

"There you are!" 

Pieter broke out of his thoughts and walked to meet the man hurrying towards him. The director stopped before him and handed him a script. 

"Thank goodness you're here! You remember the things I said yesterday, right?" 

Pieter nodded, "Of course." 

The director, Wesley Grant, was a tall middle-aged man with spectacles placed on the bridge of his nose. Despite his age, however, he looked pretty young. Mr. Grant glanced back at the set before turning back to address Pieter. 

"I have to make sure everything's alright with the shoot soon. Just find your stylist and get ready. While you do that, try remembering your lines." 

Mr. Grant patted Pieter's shoulder with an encouraging smile, "Your stylist should be in the room with your name on it, somewhere in the hallway outside," Mr. Grant said, "And if you need any help, find me!" 

Pieter smiled, "Alright, thanks. I'll get going now." 

Mr. Grant nodded and jogged off, heading back to his position to give instructions and to re-do the take. Pieter took this chance to leave the studio. As he stepped back outside, everything seemed a bit quieter - like something was missing. He already wanted to be back in the studio. 

As he walked down the hallway, he spotted his room and stepped inside. The inside was clean and quiet, with faint music playing from his stylist's phone. Pieter already knew her from the way she sat. He knew that position anywhere. And the last time he was here was one and a half years ago.

"Oh! Hey!" 

The stylist looked up and waved him over. 

Pieter grinned and walked towards her. They were friends before, back in university. It was a lucky event that they met and had started to work with each other. When Pieter had been on hiatus, Myra had constantly checked up on him, making sure he was okay. Pieter couldn't blame her. It was a bit strange that he'd go on a long break when she knew how much he loved acting and being on set. She knew that Pieter found it exhilarating. 

"Hey." 

Pieter plopped down on the chair beside her and peered over her shoulder, looking down at her phone, checking what song and artist she was listening to. 

"Stray Kids, huh? I didn't know you still liked them," Pieter teased, laughing at the face she gave him. 

"They're the best, okay? Better than you are," Myra snapped back with a smirk. 

"Okay, okay!" Pieter put his hands up in the air in defeat. He spun the chair in a few circles, laying down lazily against the back, "So... when are you going to make me look beautiful?" 

Myra stopped the music and stood up, "Alright! Let's start! So go wash your face and come back." 

Myra slapped Pieter lightly on the head with the magazine on the table, making him complain in protest. She grinned and pointed at the door. 

When Pieter arrived on set, he looked his best. The makeup Myra had done, had made his face look brighter and more surreal. 

"Good, good! Gone over the lines?" Mr. Grant asked as he walked alongside Pieter. Pieter could tell that the director was pleased with his looks. Pieter nodded, his heart thumping in his chest. It wasn't fear or concern that his heart was thumping, but rather with excitement. His eyes shone and his mouth curved upwards into a smile. 

"Okay! Get on set and we'll soon start the recording!" 

Pieter walked into the restaurant set built into the studio and greeted the other actors before settling in his spot. The main male character, Orion, was played by a famous actor, Ian Yerka. The main female character, Lila, was played by Pieter's colleague from another drama that they'd shot together, Jenny Kedler. Today, he was playing the new boyfriend for Lila. The character he's playing, Quentin, was to be funny, charming, and outgoing - and Pieter couldn't wait to start. 

"Everyone okay?" The director shouted. 

"Yes!" A chorus of voices came from the actors on set. 

"Okay!" The director paused, "Three… two… one… action!" 

There was a slight pause before the acting really began. Soon, the first actor started. 

"Hey… isn't that-" 

"That's her, isn't it?" 

"Let's just leave." 

Ian stood up and tried to walk away, only to sit back down when he saw Jenny walk into the restaurant with Pieter, their arms linked together. The waiter - an extra - brought Pieter and Jenny to their seat, where their discussion began. 

"So… what do you want to eat?" 

"Carbonara," Pieter replied, pointing at the picture on the menu. The two ordered and continued their discussion. 

"I'm really happy that you came here with me," Jenny said, "I didn't know that you'd bring me here when reservations for this place are full." 

She paused before adding, "How did you even do that?" 

"I have my ways," Pieter replied, grinning. His dimples showed and Jenny laughed. 

"Thanks, Quentin," Jenny says, referring to the character Pieter's playing. 

"No problem. I'd take you to the carnival next time" Pieter said, pinching the actress' cheek lovingly, "The best for you!" 

Jenny swats his hand away with laughter and they continue to talk until Jenny spots Ian sitting with his friends a few tables away. 

"What are you looking at?" Pieter asked, following Jenny's gaze. His eyes landed on Ian, who quickly turned away. It was too late. Pieter had seen him. 

"Is he following you?" Pieter asked. When Jenny didn't answer, Pieter got mad. Pieter was good at acting, and his emotions switched quickly. He was known. for his quick emotional changes when he acted. And when his character was angry, so was he. 

"That-" 

"No, he didn't follow me. He was probably already here when we came," Jenny said, pulling Pieter back into his seat. Jenny looked dejected. Pieter said nothing. Silence came after until the director broke it. 

"Cut!" 

The cameras stopped rolling and the studio started filling with chatter. 

"We'll have a short break before we start rolling again in a few minutes!" 

Pieter spent the time rehearsing his next lines while he sat and talked with Myra as she gave Pieter a couple more touches. 

"You were great Pieter! You did really well," Myra said. 

"Thanks." 

Pieter was grinning up at his friend, his heart beating non-stop. 

"I can't believe I'm back again Myra." 

Myra returned Pieter's smile, "Well you are. And now, I still don't understand why you took a hiatus when you love acting so much." 

Pieter shrugged, watching the filming crew. His mood soured a little, and Myra could feel it. She could tell something was bothering him. 

"I had some problems," Pieter said. 

"You never really told me the reason…" The words slipped out of her mouth before she knew it. 

"Do you want me to tell you?" 

Pieter looked sideways up at Myra, one of his eyebrows raised. His face was in its resting position. But even then, he still looked somewhat… somber. 

"You don't have to. I was just worried." Myra said, her voice getting softer. She didn't want to pressure Pieter into telling her his reasons for his break. She didn't want to make her friend do something just because he felt pressured to. 

"It's okay. I should tell you, seeing as you are my best friend, " Pieter paused, "I just needed to heal. I just felt frustrated at myself." 

Pieter smiled weakly at his friend who was watching him with worry. 

"Why?" 

Pieter shrugged, "I hated not being able to be someone I wanted to be. Sometimes I say what's on my mind to some certain people, and they aren't good things either. I try not to, but I do and I feel like it'll bring them down or affect their mental health. And it's affecting me, making me feel guilty for all the words I said." 

"It's okay… everyone has flaws. Including you and me." 

Pieter smiled, "It's alright. I'm better now. Trust me." 

Myra said nothing, unsure how to further comfort her friend.

"Alright everyone! Back on set!" The director suddenly yelled. 

Pieter stood up and walked to his place, smiling at Myra with reassurance. She was watching him from a distance. Her face was etched with concern at the new revelation. 

"Everyone ready?" 

"Yes!" 

Pieter closes his eyes and thinks about his character - cheerful, handsome, funny, charming, amazing - all the things he wished he was. 

"Alright! Three… two… one… action!" 

Pieter quickly got immersed in his role and the emotions he needed to show. When he did, he started his act. 

"So, do you wanna head somewhere now?" 

"Hmm, where do you want to go?" 

"I was thinking... about going to the nearby carnival. They won't close until later!" Pieter said, bouncing as the two walked. 

"Alright then! Then let's go!" 

The pair walked down the street when they bumped into Ian again. All three of them froze in their spots, their feet seemingly planted into the ground. 

"Why are you here?" Pieter whispered quietly, growling. 

"Let's go and leave," Jenny said tugging Pieter's arm. 

Just then, an image flashed into Pieter's mind, making him lose his focus. He dropped Quentin, the character he was playing, and instead, he showed his weaker side. 

"Yeah, let's go…" 

Pieter started to pull Jenny away and Jenny looked back, with a look of shock and confusion on her face. 

'This isn't in the script!' She protested with her eyes. Pieter didn't notice it. He paid her no mind. He just continued to bring Jenny along with him, until they walked off the set. 

"What are you doing!?" Jenny whispered with confusion, "This isn't part of the script!" 

Pieter said nothing, lost in his own thoughts. 

"Cut! We need to do another take!" 

Mr. Grant looked at Pieter strangely. Pieter never messed up in the past. Everything he did was perfect, and if not, passable as a good cut. 

"Anything wrong, Pieter?" The director asked him as Mr. Grant walked onto the set. 

"No, nothing…" Pieter muttered. 

"Okay… well, make sure to do this right! Then we can all go home!" Mr. Grant said, slapping him on the back with a slight smile. The director left and went back to his spot. And while his words were meant to be encouraging, it made it a bit more burdening on Pieter. 

"Again! Ready?" Mr. Grant shouted. 

"Yes!" 

The act started up again, playing through the scene. This time, Pieter did everything he's supposed to, but not to the best of his ability. He was still submerged in his own head. 

"Cut! Okay! Everyone can leave now! Thank you!" 

"Thank you!" A chorus of thanks came from the actors and actresses as everyone got ready to leave. 

"Pieter, can I have a word with you?" 

Pieter reluctantly walked towards the director, "Yes?" 

"Is everything okay? You usually seem more happy and energetic… You're not sick are you?" 

"No, I'm fine," Pieter replied, forcing a smile. In truth, he was fine. He just didn't like remembering the past. It made him think a lot. About everything he could have done and things he shouldn't have. 

"Alright. Then I'll see you tomorrow!" Mr. Grant said. 

"See you." 

"You know, it's a waste to have all this erased off only after two scenes," Pieter said, pointing at the makeup on his face, "I could've stayed beautiful, for longer." 

Myra slapped his arm as she helped him erase the makeup. 

"How was it?" Myra asked, "the acting, I mean." 

"I love it," Pieter replied, smiling. His smile, however, wasn't as big as it had been when he'd first arrive, "But I made some mistakes." 

Pieter shrugged, dismissing the thought. 

"That's fine. Everyone makes mistakes. I'm just glad that you're back doing something you love," Myra replied, putting her things away. Without looking at Pieter, she added, "If you ever have something you need or anything you want help with, tell me. I don't want you to go through everything alone." 

"Are you still worrying about me?" 

There was a pause. 

"Yeah. It's weird, you know…? You're always so cheerful and it's hard to see you hurt." 

"We can't all be happy all the time." Pieter shrugged as he picked up a paper cut filled with water. Myra turned to look at Pieter, sitting a bit away, downing the water in one go. 

"Tell me about your problems... Just to let it all out. You don't have to, but I'm just giving you the option to. I don't want to force or pressure you." 

"You sure…?" 

"Yeah. It might just make us both feel better." 

"Okay…" Pieter runs a hand through his hair before starting. "I-I…. just wasn't happy with who I am." 

Pieter glanced worriedly at Myra. She was sitting there, giving her full attention to Pieter. Pieter continued, "I didn't like that I was weak. That I couldn't stop myself from lashing out, which caused them to leave. I keep beating myself up for not being where I think I should be by now." 

Pieter glanced over at his friend. Myra was sitting there, handing one side of an earphone earbud to Pieter. He didn't question it and put it in his ear. The song was nice and melodic with a sad vibe to it. So were the lyrics. Yet, it came as a comfort to Pieter. 

"That'll make you feel better. It always does for me." 

"Thanks." 

The pair sat there for a while, listening until Myra stood up and put the music away. 

"We should leave now. Make sure to call me and talk to me if you ever need to, okay?" 

Pieter chuckled softly, "Yeah, yeah. I'll call you when I need it. But don't worry too much." 

"Sure. Well... alright, get your stuff and head back home. I'll see you tomorrow, yeah?" 

"Yeah. See you." 

Pieter left the building and headed towards the car park, a smile playing on his face.

June 15, 2020 07:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.