Thunder of justice

Submitted into Contest #267 in response to: Write a story set against the backdrop of a storm.... view prompt

0 comments

Science Fiction Drama

This story contains themes or mentions of physical violence, gore, or abuse.

Jerry sat at the onboard bar, slowly sipping a vodka with Sprite and olives, occasionally turning the glass in his hand—an involuntary habit when we're stressed or waiting on something.



Boom.



The bartender jumped, spilling half of the 'Sex on the Beach' he was preparing onto the floor. Angrily, he tossed the rest into the sink, shattering the glass. Jerry nodded in understanding. If it were up to him, he’d shut the whole place down during such a dreadful storm and send everyone to their cabins- this rocking of the ship was unbearable. Unfortunately, he was just a guest on this vessel and had no control over the course of events.


- Tough day? - he decided to make small talk with the bartender, hoping to give him a break from the pointless tasks during such a trying time.


- What do you think? - the bartender replied gruffly.


-Why don't you just shut this place down during the storm? These conditions aren't exactly conducive to work,- Jerry continued the conversation, ignoring the bartender's rude tone.


-And where would you drink? Alone, staring in the mirror? Looks like you've got a case of too much curiosity. Be glad you've got something to wet your whistle with and try to survive this damn storm of the century, just like the rest of us.

Suddenly, the bartender grabbed the sink, and Jerry clung to the bar with both hands as the ship rocked violently once again. He clenched his teeth, eyes wide, focusing on keeping his hands on the counter, his knuckles turning white. His lower body fiercely resisted the urge to shift to the right, which would have led to an inevitable fall and a collision with the cruise ship's wall. He felt himself returning to an upright position, but the relief was short-lived as another wave hit the opposite side of the ship. He had to brace himself again to avoid being flung helplessly to the left. As if that wasn't enough, a loud crash suddenly rang out. The beautiful crystal chandelier had fallen to the floor, shattering into thousands of pieces.

Previously, the passengers had tried to remain calm, but the loss of the main lighting caused panic on the deck. Tables and chairs began to topple, and people were falling to the floor, unable to control their own bodies. Jerry saw only a few people flying overhead and crashing into the walls. Suddenly, he felt water seeping into his shoes - apparently, an elusive wind had shattered one of the windows, and a mass of foamy seawater was now sweeping across the deck.


- Everyone to your cabins!! Immediately!!- the bartender bellowed, crawling out of the lobby.


However, Jerry decided to stay where he was. He didn't want to die alone in his cabin, staring through the small round window at nothing but the darkness of the night and the ocean's depths. That sight terrified him, making his feet go numb at the mere thought, and his heart felt as if it was trying to escape from the chest in panic. In that cabin, he would be closer to death - a terrifying, merciless force staring him straight in the face. But here, on this chair, everything was happening behind his back. He could push the reality of the situation out of mind, enjoy the bar's lobby to the fullest, drink himself into oblivion, and then die peacefully.

Suddenly, a beautiful woman walked into the lobby, wearing high red heels and a stunningly sexy red dress. She moved gracefully, as if the laws of gravity didn't apply to her. All that was missing were wings emerging from her back because she surely wasn't human.


"Ho, ho, the messenger of hell approaches," Jerry thought.


-Got a light? - the woman asked, sitting next to him, crossing her legs, and placing a cigarette between her lips.


-Sorry, I don't, - Jerry replied.


-No worries.- The woman snapped her fingers, and the cigarette lit itself.


‘’Am I so drunk that I'm hallucinating?" Jerry thought.


-You're not, Jerry, - the woman responded, as if reading his mind. - This is really happening. And believe me, it's not going to be the best moment of your life.


-It already isn't.


-Sweetheart, it's going to get worse.

  • And how would you know that, doll?

The woman remained silent, giving Jerry a warning look as she blew smoke directly into his face.


-If I were you, I'd watch my words. I didn't give you permission to call me 'doll,' and it really annoys me when someone disrespects me. I'm the emissary of the Guardian of Justice. Ever heard of him?


Jerry stared into his empty glass as if searching for an answer there.


-No, never. But I don't think you know who I am, doll.


Jerry unexpectedly stood up and lunged at the woman, but she quickly caught his hand and twisted it around his own neck. He couldn't believe how strong she was - she looked so delicate and innocent.


 -Listen, Jerry,- the woman said, bringing her face close to his ear. - You won't surprise me. Now, you're going to sit down nicely and listen to what I have to say. I know you can do that.

She let go of Jerry's hand, allowing him to sit down. He obediently followed her instructions, feeling subdued. Suddenly, he realized that the rocking of the ship had stopped.


"Maybe I'll survive after all," he thought.


-Don't kid yourself, - the woman in red replied.

- What the h...


-Don't curse, Jerry. You've already spewed enough filth from those treacherous, murderous lips in your pathetic life. I know what you've done. I know all your sins, and I'm here to judge you for them. The Guardian of Justice didn't send me here by accident - he sent me because it was women who suffered the most from your psychopathic behavior. Their cries, their pleas, their unjust suffering reached us. Yes, Jerry, I know about your rape victims, I know about your murder victims. Nothing escapes me, though you thought you'd get away with it, that you'd slip by unnoticed. You thought you were so clever. Betty Karlberg, Molly Tridson, Jessica Luth - should I continue? Your ex-wife, Carlain, whom you abused for years, draining every spark of hope, every drop of joy from her life until she finally took her own life in despair. I can't find words to describe your brutality, your lack of empathy, or, to put it bluntly, your sheer bastardry. I can't fathom how far removed you are from any semblance of humanity, how deep your lack of scruples runs. Oh yes, I know what excuse you have for all of this - many people use that defense. In some cases, it can be justified, but not in yours, Jerry. We know your father abused you, and it was a traumatic experience. But you also encountered many good and valuable people along the way, who wanted to help you, but you scorned them. You rejected the goodness and love of your mother and the kindness of others who reached out to you with a helping hand. To you, goodness and love are worthless, signs of weakness, and anyone who follows those values is nothing more than a fool whose wisdom you dismiss. So, Jerry, your sob story about a difficult childhood won't save you. Believe me, we've already planned a merciful death for you. You'll bash your head against the wall of this cruise ship, though you deserve to suffer much more. You can't even imagine the tortures I've envisioned for you, how much I want to hurt you in the name of all those defenseless women who had to endure a monster like you. Do you know what it's like? When some stranger breathes heavily in your face, delighting in your humiliation, and you're completely powerless to stop it? And then he kills you, relishing the control he has over you, enjoying your suffering, laughing at your helplessness. That's how I died too. And now I put an end to wretched creatures like you - I couldn't imagine a better fate for myself.


Die, Jerry.



The woman threw her cigarette butt in his face and walked away with grace. He sat there, mouth agape, still unable to comprehend what had just happened. He stood up, grabbed a bottle of gin, and took a hefty swig. Suddenly, the ship lurched violently. Jerry tried to grab onto something, but there was nothing within reach.

Thunder.

The ship rocked again, sending the refrigerator flying toward Jerry at high speed, pinning him against the wall. He smashed his head, but it wasn't a fatal blow. The ship swayed in the opposite direction, and Jerry, along with the refrigerator, crashed into the wall on the other side. He lost consciousness, but he was still breathing. The ship tossed him around like a ragdoll - just as he'd treated his victims - from one wall to the other until finally, life slipped away from him.


September 08, 2024 15:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.