2 comments

General

Emma and Joe were too young to understand what they did.

Joe had two brothers much older then he which he looked up to and hung on their every word. He was a teenager but not like his brothers were at his age. He was more interested in gaming and being friends with Emma then in the relationship his brothers thought he was in. She was oblivious as to the label Joe's brothers and friends put on them.

All they knew was that they enjoyed each others company and one of them was going to be the gaming champion by the end of the summer.

One mid summer night during one of Emma's parents bbq's that started early and always continued into the night Joe's parents were not in the right state of mind to drive home safely, they decided to stay for the night. When the last bit of food was gone and last drop of liquid consumed is when Emma and Joe looked up from the gaming monitor. It was stifling hot so they decided to go for a swim. Emma did not have the will to look for her bathing suit she wiggled out of earlier and Joe not wanting the feeling of a wet suit touching his sticky hot flesh decided to jump in with what they were wearing.

The laughter and splashing woke Emma's mother. She shouted from the back door for them to not dare enter her house with dripping clothes. Emma knew the consequences of defying her mom. At the back door under the dark sky they disrobed each figuring they would run for cover towards the linen closet and cover with towels.

On this night as Joe watched Emma peel her wet clothes off he could not bring himself to look away. He heard the voices of his brothers saying he was not normal and that he should just hit it already. But he did not have the urge to hit Emma, he leaned in and kissed her. Emma did not pull away she began tugging at his wet clothes hearing voices telling her how she wanted him.

At the end of summer bbq celebration Emma was feeling sick. She continuously complained about being sick to her stomach and wanting to eat nothing but cherry-vanilla ice cream. Neither she or Joe were ever victorious at their game so they gave each until Thanksgiving break to beat the other.

During the Thanksgiving school break Emma's mother could no longer bare her complaining so she made a doctors appointment. As she sat in the exam room listening to her daughters complaints she started to feel a sick herself. The doctor kept the mother in the room and sent Emma to the waiting room.

Emma and Joe's parents had to have the most difficult sit downs they could of imagined. Emma's mother decided on not telling her daughter what the doctor's results were. She could not tell her 13 year old daughter she was pregnant and have her make a life altering decision. Joe's father agreed that the conversation would not leave the table and left the resolution in the mother's hands.

Emma did not return to school until after the Christmas break. When she could not hold up her end of the game competition due to the fact that she had a long recovery after undergoing an appendectomy, she and Joe made a new competition pact to take place for the new year.

The new year came on gone, neither could understand why the parents no longer got together. They were only able to communicate in school and through their gaming systems.

The stifling heat was back. Joe was thrilled he was getting a pool. The thrill of summer was short lived when neither Emma or Joe's family were invited when one hosted a bbq. Still their only interaction was through gaming, which is how they spent their days. Neither knew why the parents were not getting together but what they did know was that one of them just had to beat the other before summers end.

The day before the final competition Joe begged Emma to come in his pool.

She grabbed her two piece suit shoving it ion her bag with her hand held gaming device shouting to her mother as she left the house that she was going to her friends house.

Emma and Joe were so excited to see each other they instantly embraced. His brothers chuckled and made crude jokes. They pulled apart and just stared at one another. They spoke about how stupid their parents were being and strategized on how they were going beat the other. Emma went in the house to change, Joe flooded behind her. He waited outside the bathroom door talking feverishly about how he was going to beat her.

There was a part of Joe that knew Emma was in the bathroom naked, a part of him that wanted to peek but a bigger part that just wanted her to hurry so they could get in the pool and his brothers would shut up. She knew he was outside the door, part of her wanted him to see her and part just struggled to hurry so his brothers would stop poking fun at them. He waited further from the door with towels and anticipation.

His brothers got louder and more insistent that they were boyfriend and girlfriend, the more he stated they were just friends the more they insisted boyfriend and girlfriend. Emma finally shouted that they were in fact a boy and a girl and just friends and agreeing that made them boyfriend and girlfriend which finally made them stop.

Joe was taken by surprise seeing Emma in a two piece, he noticed the fullness of her breasts and curve of her hips. As he stood there he felt the need to cover himself with one of the towels he was holding. She noticed the definition of his stomach and arms and why he covered himself. A tingling sensation ran through her as thoughts of him being her boyfriend thrilled her.

Joe ran to one of his brothers and told him he though maybe Emma would make a great girlfriend, his brother told him that he ought to talk to his mother about that first. Joe laughed thinking his mother knew nothing about girls. But he would talk to his other brother that night on how to ask Emma to be his girlfriend.

Before jumping in the pool Joe asked to see her scar from the surgery.

August 15, 2020 16:59

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Tanja Cilia
03:56 Aug 27, 2020

I find this story credible, because there are many families where a teen pregnancy would be infra dig. It all depends whether Joe knows that an appendectomy scar would be at the left side of the abdomen, and whether, in fact, there was a scar from the abortion... Very good.

Reply

Show 0 replies
02:52 Aug 16, 2020

Great first line. Definitely hooks the reader. And great last too. I’m a sucker for ambiguous endings. Congrats on your first story 👍🏼

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.