1 comment

Fiction Friendship

Singing. My favorite hobby that I have loved for years. Some people may make fun of me for saying this, but that's the truth. Using your voice to experiment different notes is the best thing to do when you're bored, which I almost always am. It's takes you to another world, especially when you're singing along to your favorite song or playlist. Unfortunately, I never get to have to opportunity to go to the world of music. It's the worst and I wish that I could sing whenever I want. I only have the chance to sing in a whisper-tone because I get embarrassed so easily. I don't know if it's because I'm so introverted or if it's because I'm just, well, me. I always ask myself this question over and over again. It makes me upset with myself, to the point where my self esteem is at it's worst.

But today is different. Today, I get to enter the musical world of happiness. I could close my eyes and forget all of my worries and subjects that bring me down. All three of my siblings are leaving with my parents to a dentist appointment, which is the best opportunity to test my vocals. It's a rare chance for me so I'm absolutely ecstatic about it. I grin with excitement and enthusiasm. I set down my diary to begin the test that might ultimately lead to a career, one that would be successful and one that would grant me wealth. I close my eyes like how I whisper-sing and clear my throat. I open my mouth and lyrics come out, my favorite lyrics.

"A long, long time ago..." My pitch isn't perfect, but it's good enough to keep going. "I can still remember how that music used to make me smile..."

I finish the song, a wave of relief and satisfaction making me shiver. I... I did it. I sit and think. I think of how amazing that felt and how amazing that was. I could possibly start a career like I've always dreamed of!

But then, Suddenly, a knock at the door interrupts my thoughts. I freeze. Uh oh... Of course my parents and my siblings had to arrive when I was just getting started. I sigh and grouchily walk up the stairs and open the front door with my family's old antique keys.

To my surprise, a bubbly girl with red hair and freckles waves at me sweetly.

"Hello!" she greets. I stand there awkwardly, not knowing what to say. I must have looked weird while I just stood and stared. Finally, I get some words out of my mouth.

"Hi... Do I know you?" I ask, cautiously. I wince right after I said that. I must have sounded rude.

"No, but I know you. Well, not exactly, but..." she replies.

"Really?"

"Mhm!" What does this girl want with me? I ask myself. I know, I shouldn't think these "unwelcoming" words, but I really don't know what she wants.

"Well, what is it? Gah... Sorry. I'm just confused and home alone right now."

"It's fine. I just wanted to say, your singing is so awesome! I started a band a few days ago and we don't have a singer, so can you please fill up the spot?" I pause for a moment, a million phrases rushing through my head. She heard me?! I'm going to be in a band?! She likes my singing?! A girl is at my front door?!

"I... I don't know... I'm the shyest person on the planet, so I don't know if I could perform like that..." I inform her with regret. It's the truth and I don't want her to find out that I have stage fright right when I get on stage. I could imagine the look of her and her band members' faces when they realize I can't do that.

"We won't perform live that much. And also, I could teach you how to face your fears!" she exclaims. "It doesn't take that long to overcome your shyness."

"Uh... I honestly don't think so." I state. All of my life I've been shy about have the spotlight on me and I've always tried to overcome my fears. It never worked, so I don't think I can change just like that.

"Oh, come on!" she groans. "You're so introverted!"

"And you're so extroverted." I snap back. The girl giggles.

"I like your spirit. Anyways, I'll see you at my house tomorrow at two. By the way, my name is Bailee!" she shouts as she skips away. Her boots make loud clanking noises as she skips which annoyed me a bit. But that isn't the thing I should focus on. I'm going to her house tomorrow at two, and she likes my spirit. Adding onto that, she told me her name. How awesome is that? But there are also some terrifying thoughts I have. What if she blackmails me into joining her band? What if this is all a prank? What if her band members don't like me? So many thoughts fill up in my mind that cause me to stress and grab squeeze the hair on my head. I shouldn't be that scared... It's going to be okay! I tell myself. Then, I run up to my room again to plan out what I'm going to do.

It's two o'clock! I race down the stairs and slip into my shoes. I then sprint all the way to her house--I think her house--which is fortunately right next to mine. I approach her front door and exhale nervously. Don't think of the negative thoughts... I close my eyes and press my finger against her doorbell that looks incredibly fancy. Either her family is rich, or they were stupid to waste their money on a literal doorbell. The song the doorbell sings sounds oddly familiar. The memory lies on the tip of my tongue, and I try my best to remember what it is. It's obviously not your average doorbell song because it has lyrics to it. Wait a minute. I start to remember why I recognize it so much. I start to remember my dad and I sitting in his car, while I look out the window. This song is playing in the background and we're simply jamming and bobbing our heads to the music. The same song that is on her doorbell. I'm guessing that her family has an excellent taste of music, which is my taste.

Bailee opens the door quickly that surprises me a bit. I shyly wave to her, but it's such a small wave that it probably doesn't count as one.

"Oh hi!" she greets. "You remembered, didn't you?"

"Yep. Sorry if I'm a little late."

"It's perfectly fine! Come in." she beckons for me to enter her house and I gladly nod. I walk in, and it's beautiful. There's a grand and spacious entrance that welcomes me instantly. But it's not a warming welcome. It's too modern for me so I wouldn't call it a "home". It's more like a vacation house for the summer. "This is my house! I'm only staying in it, my family and I are just renting." she informs me. While she said the word "house", she seemed to exaggerate it like she was being sarcastic.

"I can tell." I reply. Bailee raises an eyebrow, confused.

"Really?"

"I... I mean, it looks super expensive and everything, you know?"

"Are you saying I don't look like a rich girl?"

"No, no! I didn't mean that at all!" she laughs.

"I was just joking!" she says, after some time of trying to stop laughing. Then she wipes away a tear of amusement. I frown, clearly unimpressed.

"Not funny."

The next few hours were amazing. Upstairs in her room, her band members welcomed me enthusiastically. They seemed happy to see that they had a singer when I began using my vocals and practicing with them. They also helped me get less shy of singing in front of others. They were all super extroverted which definitely made me more comfortable around those types of people, and at one point, I even felt just like them. It was the best experience I've had in years. I can't believe that my life had changed so much with one girl at my front door.

July 28, 2021 21:05

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Anna Kerr
22:23 Aug 04, 2021

Liked this story! It was a little confusing between the transition of when the girl left her house to the next day when she goes to the house, but otherwise great read :)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.