0 comments

Mystery

1258 Words

 The Side Street Man

“It’s not fair Mom. Why did Gus have to die?” I should have been the one, even though it wasn’t my fault. The truck that hit us ran a red light.” Melba cried uncontrollable.

“Don’t cry Melba. I know it wasn’t your fault.”

Repeating the same story again Melba continued, “We were laughing and talking, planning for our wedding. I got so excited I hadn’t noticed the truck was coming because I had the green light and wasn’t expecting the truck to run the red. Why, Why Mom. He took the only man I loved away from me.”

Her mother reached over to hug her, trying to comfort her.

Melba was in the hospital for a month because of the complication with the concussion to her head and a whiplash.

The doctor told her to rest when she got home until she regained her strength. 

Finally after two weeks and Melba felt better she asked her mother if she wanted her to go to the store for her.

“Yes, Melba if you're sure you're feeling up to it. The walk will do you good.”

After her mother gave her some money and a list, she left.

Nice day to be alive. She thought. Thinking about her boyfriend, tears tried to fill her eyes. “It’s just not fair,” She said to herself. Just as she was crossing the street she spotted a man who looked exactly like Gus, her boyfriend. He smiled at her. She frowned. When she got eye to eye to him she asked, “Are you Gus’ brother?”

“No, I’m Gus.” he smiled.

I thought you were dead.” Her heart began to race.

“No, they thought I had but they bought me back after finally working to get my heart going. I was heading over to see you.”

“So, when did you get out of the hospital?”

“Yesterday, and when I awoke there standing over me was my wife.”

“Your wife! You mean you ask me to marry you and you have a wife?” That hurt Melba so much she took off running and not noticing a car coming she ran right out in front of it.

“No Melba, I ….. He tried to tell her what  he wanted to tell her before she ran off, but she couldn’t hear him. 

“Can I please go with her? She is my girlfriend.”

When he got inside the ambulance he held her hand. “Is she going to live?”

“We can’t say yet. She has a light pulse. We have to get her to the hospital as soon as possible.”

Gus prayed and prayed Melba wouldn’t die.

“Her heart stopped,” one of the paramedics yelled, as he worked to get her heart going again.

Gus couldn’t stop crying. 

After working on her and almost feeling it was no use it finally started to beat again. “Her heart has started beating again,” the paramedic told them. “Sir stay calm we will soon be to the hospital.”

Gus tried to keep calm but it was hard. He could not lose Melba. He loved her so much. He kept wiping his falling tears.

When they got to the hospital Gus followed them out and waited until she was settled in her room.

“May I go see her now?”

“Who are you?” one of the nurses asked.

“I’m her boyfriend. We are supposed to be getting married.” He told her.

“Okay, but try to talk to her. She’s in a coma and there's a chance she might hear you.”

Gus thanked her and went into Melba's room and held her hand. “I’m here Honey. I wanted to tell you something but you ran off so quickly. Please baby don’t die. I want to marry you.”

Just then Melba’s mother walked in. “What happened? I thought you were dead.”

“I died but they started my heart again and I saw Melba crossing the street and when we looked at each other she was shocked and asked me the same thing.”

“How did she get hit by a car?”

“She got angry at me and took off running across the street without looking.”

 “But what made her angry? Wasn’t she glad to see you were alive?”

“When she awakes I’ll tell you when I explain it to her. She wouldn’t wait to listen to what I had to say and I know it hurt her but she wouldn’t wait to hear the rest. I shouted after her but it was too late.” Gus snuffed trying to hold back from crying. He could see Melba’s mother had been crying. “Don’t worry Ma’am she’ll be okay. The nurse told me to talk to her because she might hear us.”

Melba’s mother turned and held her hand, “Melba mom’s here. Please wake up.”

“I love you, baby please speak to me.” Gus begged. 

When the nurse walked in the room Melba’s mother asked, “Could you please tell us if she will be okay?”

 “We’ll have to wait to see once she wakes up, though sometimes when you have fluid on your brain and you are getting treated for it you can wake up sooner than someone with worse problems.”

“So she has fluid on the brain? Is there any other problem?”

“Not that we can see. We are treating her for it so keep talking to her. She may wake up soon.”

After the nurse left Gus held her hand and said, “Baby,  you are going to be fine. Just wake up.”

Just then Gus saw Melba’s finger move. “You see that Ma’am? Melba’s finger moved.”

“Really!” Melba’s mother started to cry. “My Melba, move your finger if you can hear me.”

They both watched slightly. Then soon after Melba moved her finger. Her mother was so happy after they saw that she grabbed Gus and hugged him. “I am so happy. My Melba is getting better.”

“Yes, she is. I am happy too. It’s been a long wait.” he told Melba’s mom.

“Yes, but it was worth it.”

 “Yes, I agree.”

After a couple of hours Melba awoke. When Gus and her mother saw her open her eyes they ran to the bed. 

“Oh baby, why did you run away from me?” Gus asked with a frown. 

“Gus, don’t make her talk right now. Let’s wait until she is wide awake.” her mother told him as she took Melba’s hand.

“Hi mom. I guess God isn’t ready for me. This is my second accident.”

“Honey, don’t talk until you are stronger.”

Just then the nurse came in to check on her. “You’re awake. How are you feeling?”

“Good, can I go home?”

“Well, I think you better build up your strength first.” the nurse said after checking her blood pressure. “That looks good. Dinner will be served soon.” The nurse added then left.

Melba stared at Gus, “What are you doing here?” she asked with a frown.

“Baby, I’m here to tell you I was going to tell you my ex was at the hospital to give me my divorce papers. Not for anything else.” He held her hand. “I love you and I want to marry you.”

“So, is that why you tried to kill yourself Honey? You have to stop and think. You could have gotten killed.”

“I know mama.”

“Baby I have a lot of plans for us. A big wedding, a big reception and a honeymoon to where you want to go.”

“Really, That’s worth a big kiss.” 

With those words she grabbed him and gave him a big kiss.

July 28, 2020 21:08

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.