1 comment

Fiction

Who am if I'm not really me? Am I an imposter? Am I living the life I'm supposed to be living or is it all a lie?

I see me on a daily base, not in a mirror but every time I leave my home, only briefly. I know it's me. She looks like me, then in a flash she disappears into thin air.

I'm an only child. I have no sister. so, how can I be seeing myself? I'm not going crazy. I saw myself yesterday at the park then like clock-work I disappeared. No one was with me.

I looked the same, the only difference is I was smiling more than usual. I looked happy. I asked my mother the first time I saw myself if I had a sister. She told me "Lucy, you know you're an only child. Where is this coming from?"

I told my mother I keep seeing someone who looks like me. My mother didn't say anything to me, she just looked at me like I was crazy. I left it at that but I knew my mother wasn't telling me the truth. She was hiding something from me and I have to find out what it is. First, I have to go back to when all this started.

The first time I saw myself was a couple months ago. I was walking home from work when I briefly saw myself standing across from me. I was waving at something or someone. I turned around, there was no one there. I turned back around to face me and I was again.

I searched everywhere for any signs where I could have gone, there was no one around me. I didn't want to sound like a metal person so I kept what I saw a secret.

The second time I saw myself I was at home in my backyard reading a book. I put my book down to grab a drink of ice tea when I see her there dancing. There was no one dancing with her. I got up and began to walk to her. Just like before she disappeared.

I was there one moment and gone the next, that's twice. I began to pace back and forth figuring out what to make of all this. I tried not to make myself go crazy but the third time I saw her is what truly scared me.

The third time I saw myself I was at the local diner. I order my food, then I took out my laptop and began doing some work. In the middle of me doing my work I heard nosies. I looked up and I saw her talking rapidly. She was sitting in front of me and boy is she my twin in every sense possible. I didn't understand what she was saying. It was like she was seeing right through me.

I was looking at myself. She/me was looking directly at me. I started to say something to her but she shook her head. Why would I do that? Then in a flash I was gone.

After those three times of me seeing myself, I began to look for answers. I went to the doctor to see if they can find out what's wrong with me. After many tests my doctor told me I was in good health. I believe my doctor.

There was nothing physically wrong with me. Maybe there is something mentally wrong with me. Here is the same question I keep asking. How do I tell my friends and family I keep seeing flashes of myself? They will tell me I'm crazy. I have to figure this out on my own.

My next step is to go to the library and do some research. I enter the library and go straight to the computer. I type in my name Lucy and reality and what pops onto the screen is the craziest thing possible, parallel worlds.

What is this? Parallel worlds exist. Many people believe there are other worlds that exist in parallel to our own. This is too unbelievable to believe.

I get up to leave the library when I see her again. She looks up and is smiling. I close my eyes, then open them and I'm gone again. I leave the library and go home.

That night I fall asleep and dream about me. My dream was in flashes. I'm there one moment and gone the next. I sitting in a park bench. I see her there but am I really seeing me or someone I wish was me. This is all very confusing.

I'm gone again. I try to talk to her/me. No words come out. She's gone again. I look around. I'm gone. I begin to walk again. There I am again. I run to her again I disappear. I continue to walk down the street when I spot her. I walk to her and stare at me. She looks right back at me. In a flash I see another me pop up, then another, then another, then another, then another and so on.

All around me I see me, lots and lots of me. I spin around and around, I see the same faces staring at me. I close my eyes and wake up. I'm back in my room, in my house. Was that a real dream?

I get up put my robe on and head down stairs. I open the front door and step out on to the porch. The fresh air feels good. I sit down on the chair and think about my dream. What is. my dream trying to tell me?

Dreams are hard to interpret, my dream is very difficult to understand. I don't know what my dream is telling me. I head back inside, across the street there I am again just standing there watching me. I wave to her, just like all the other times I'm gone in a flash. I run inside and close the door.

I turn around and see my mother standing in front of me. "What are you doing here? My mother grabs my hand and leads me to the couch.

"I have something to tell you." I nod.

My mother tells me "We are travelers. We travel to other worlds. There was a glitch between worlds. We don't know what's causing the glitch. We are working on it."

I'm trying to make sense about the information my mother told me. Travelers traveling to other worlds. How is this even possible? I get up and go to the kitchen. I stare out of the window when again I see her.

"You saw her?"

"I see me." I tell my mother.

My mother didn't believe me whenI told her I was seeing someone like me. She hid things from me, never once telling me the truth. Maybe, I share some of the blame for not pushing forward with this.

"How come I'm seeing someone who looks like me? Everywhere I go there she is, there I am."

"You're not supposed to see each other. You and the other you are only supposed to switch consciousness. The two of you were never to know."

Wow, this is unbelievable. I look at my mother and ask her "How come you know and who is this we you were talking about?"

Standing behind my mother is her/me again. My mother turns around, she's gone. "Come we have to fix this."

"Answer my question mother." I finally snap.

My mother nods. "There are a group of us call keepers who monitor parallel worlds. I am one of those keepers. I'm your keeper. We monitor the space time continuum to make sure everything is normal. Whenever there is something wrong in the parallel worlds, we are there to fix it. This happens once in a lifetime. Your situation is different, way different than anything I ever seen. If we don't fix the glitch then all the worlds will experience flashes of themselves. We cannot let that happen. Come with me."

I don't ask my mother any questions. I take her hand and leave my house. We get int my mother's car and drive to an unknown place. I look out the window and I once again begin to see me, then she's gone again. I close my eyes so I won't see her/me.

"It's okay honey. We are going to fix this." I simply nod.

My mother shakes me awake. I open my eyes and look around. "Where am I?" My mother takes my hand and tells me "We are going to fix the glitch." I nod.

"Take my hand and close your eyes. Listen to my voice. Don't fight what you see. Embrace what you see."

Pain, I feel pain. What is happening to me? Oh no it's happening again. Remember my mother's words. Don't fight it. Embrace it.

"Hello Lucy. It's me Lucy."

"Um hi."

"You're scared. I'm scared too. Take my hand. It's time we fix the problem." I nod.

Me and Lucy hold each other's hand. We close our eyes. Our connection is flowing throughout my mind, body and soul. I can feel us becoming one again. In my mind I say goodbye to Lucy.

I open my eyes and look at my mother. I tell her everything that happened. She tells me "The glitch has been fixed." I hug my mother.

I go back to my everyday life without ever seeing me again. I do wonder how the other Lucy is doing. I hope we meet again.

February 08, 2023 22:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

Viga Boland
20:51 Feb 11, 2023

Clever, clever!

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.