Contest #114 winner 🏆

The Hallowed Ground

Submitted into Contest #114 in response to: Write about a clique that dominates your story’s social scene.... view prompt

129 comments

Fiction

“Karl told me about a playgroup in Maraetai. Why don’t you take her there?” My partner stares at me in the bathroom mirror.


I look away, the unspoken words prickling. “They’re not really my cup of tea.”


The baby stirs, sucking on her hand. She’ll need feeding soon.


“How do you know? You’ve never been.”


I watch my partner shaving, each pass exposing fresh, pink skin in a sea of white, and a stab of jealousy twists in my stomach.


“They’re for older children,” I say, pulling my dressing gown across my chest. “Not for little babies.”


“Think about it. You might make some friends there. You know, find your tribe or whatever.”


The razor tapping on the sink wakes the baby, and she cries.


“I have friends,” I say, carrying her out of the room.


I have friends.


I do.


Friendships take time to adjust after a baby.


#


I stand at the entrance to the playgroup, and look at the real mothers inside, bouncing babies on their knees, drinking coffee, chatting, looking happy. The capsule swings in the crook of my elbow as I wrestle with the baby gate, balancing a ridiculously sized bag of baby paraphernalia under my arm.


“Here, let me help.” An older lady with a grey bob and a grey expression opens the gate.


“Thanks,” I say. “Those baby gates shred any self-confidence left after the birth, right?”


Her powdered face remains impassive, and a tingle of apprehension crawls across my confidence.


“Tea and coffee are on the counter, next to the cake. Just help yourself,” she says.


The noise is assaulting. Weeks of daytime solitude have left me unprepared for the hustle and bustle of the room.


A handful of mothers sit on the floor playing blocks with their toddlers. A group of preschoolers squabble over a pram. Two mothers snatch a conversation, while one ignores the snotty nosed toddler clinging to her leg.


A small group of women are enjoying an uninterrupted conversation at a large table near the coffee. I weave my way through the snotty noses and tantrums to the hallowed ground.


“Hi, I’m Anna,” I say, resting the capsule and ridiculously large bag on the floor next to an empty seat.


“Lisa.” The woman gives a small nod.


She doesn't have baby vomit on her shoulder. My fingers creep to the crunchy white splotch on my jumper.


“Jenny.” Her clean, shiny hair cascades around her shoulders.


“Taylor.”


“Lou.”


“Amy.”


Lisa… Jenny… I clutch at the names, but they escape.


“That’s a lot of names to remember on three hours’ sleep,” I say.


“Isn’t your baby sleeping through the night, yet?”


“She’s only eight weeks old.”


Silence.


Another woman raises an eyebrow.


My baby stirs and I rock the capsule, hoping she’ll sleep for at least half a coffee and a piece of cake.


Her eyes edge shut. Success.


“The cake looks good. Do we just help ourselves?”


Several women nod.


The knife is heavy as I cut a piece of carrot cake, sliding it onto my plate.


“Breastfeeding always made me hungry, too.”


I pause, looking at the woman that spoke.


She nods at the cake on my plate. “I was always starving when I was feeding.”


I smile and dip my head, my greasy hair hiding my burning cheeks. I pick up a mug.


“The decaf is on the right.” Someone points to a tin banished to the edge of the counter. “Unless you have caffeine while you’re feeding?”


“No, of course not,” I say.


I sit and listen to their chatter, rocking the capsule with my toe, and hope the baby’s bottle isn’t poking out of the bag.


The bottle, the great thief of self-esteem.


My coffee’s devoid of all joy, but I sip it anyway, learning the intricacies of their reproductive systems and the state of their marriages, but not their names.


“How’s the cake?” asks a woman with plum lipstick.


I nod. “Good.”


She smiles. So does the woman next to her. But only with her mouth. Her forehead doesn’t move. Neither do her eyes.


I’m wondering if she’s had Botox.


I’m staring at her.


Silence.


Everyone is staring at me.


I realise they’re waiting for an answer to a question I didn’t hear.


“No.” If in doubt, deny.


The women seem shocked. The playgroup, the great social minefield.


One raises an eyebrow.


I glance at my baby sleeping in her capsule, her eyebrows so delicate. Will she wield them as weapons when she’s older?


“Sorry, what was the question?”


“I asked if breastfeeding was going well.”


I think of the bottle in the bag. I wouldn’t say it’s going great.


“Yep, it’s going well.”


My baby stirs. She sucks on her hand. My stomach twists. The timing is not ideal.


I stand. “I need to feed her now, actually.”


I pick up the capsule. And the ridiculous bag. The bottle falls and rolls along the floor.


Plum raises an eyebrow.


Botox picks up the bottle.


“Is this formula?” she asks, brandishing the bottle like I’m feeding my baby vodka.


"No, it’s expressed…” I trail off.


This group of women sitting around the table, staring at me, they are not my tribe.


My tribe supports mothers. My tribe recognises a woman doing her best. My tribe lifts women at their most vulnerable, it doesn’t tear them to pieces.


I grab the bottle.


And make a scathing retort.


I leave their gaping faces and stagger through the blocks and snotty noses to the insurmountable gate.


It won’t open.


I clatter and scramble over the gate with my howling baby and ridiculous bag, leaving the gate openers and the hallowed ground in my wake.


It’s quite the exit. They’ll have something to discuss for weeks to come.


#


“Did you go to the playgroup today?” My partner shovels her fork into the mashed potato. She always eats her meat last.


I nod.


She puts down her fork. “Did it go okay? Did you find your tribe?”


I think of the ladies at the table, the shock on their faces, their eyes wide in disbelief.


“No, it didn’t go great.”


 “What happened?”


“I got hassled about breastfeeding.”


Her jaw clenches as I tell my story and I feel a truth pushing through the hidden space inside me.


“So I made a scathing remark and left.”


She leans forward, her mashed potato abandoned, present and listening.


“What was your scathing comment?” she asks.


My partner. Supporting me. Seeing me. Lifting me at my most vulnerable.


I pick at my nails. “I told them I gave up breastfeeding because it interfered with my cocaine habit.”


She looks at me, her eyes wide and mouth gaping.


“You didn’t?”


“I did.”


A smile plays on her lips, and then she laughs.


I laugh, too.


The weight of the day evaporates, and a truth emerges. We're two sleep deprived women, and we're doing our best.


I’ve found my tribe. She’s sitting right next to me.



October 08, 2021 08:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

129 comments

Helen VanTol
16:02 Oct 15, 2021

Great story. Well written. I liked that you didn't put in too much detail; it made me want to keep reading.

Reply

Beth Jackson
23:45 Oct 15, 2021

Thank you, Helen! :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Matt Allen
15:23 Oct 13, 2021

Excellent.

Reply

Beth Jackson
08:12 Oct 14, 2021

Thank you! :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Nichole Anderson
15:59 Oct 11, 2021

Oh, I really enjoyed this. Having three young children with the youngest being one, I can totally relate. I could feel her anxiety and wanted her to get away from those other moms as fast as she could.

Reply

Beth Jackson
17:51 Oct 11, 2021

Thank you so much for your kind comments! I really appreciate it! :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jon Casper
13:55 Oct 08, 2021

Laughed out loud at the retort. I could feel the judgment. Great story!

Reply

Beth Jackson
08:19 Oct 09, 2021

Thank you for your kind comments! :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
T D Crasier
19:30 Jun 13, 2022

Wow! You really describe that moment a self-doubting, new mum enters the baby group for the first time. That’s me 25 years ago. Wish I’d had the guts back then to have made a scathing comment too.

Reply

Beth Jackson
02:21 Jun 14, 2022

Thank you, TD! :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Zelda C. Thorne
18:43 Jun 04, 2022

Omg this is fantastic! That line about the cocaine hit me so hard LOL I have a toddler and some women can be so judgemental. I don't understand them. Just brilliant. Glad this won!

Reply

Beth Jackson
09:05 Jun 05, 2022

Thank you, Rachel!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Liz Liz
12:37 Apr 08, 2022

I think saying she had pretend double mastectomy probably would have cut to their quick more effectively than a pretend cocaine habit but was grateful for the smile nonetheless. (As in guilt inducing to the sanctimummies, if such a thing is possible)

Reply

Beth Jackson
18:15 Apr 08, 2022

Thank you for taking the time to read and comment Liz! :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
16:56 Apr 06, 2022

The way the story ends, and ties it up, makes the story remarkable. I really felt like yhe character when reading this. These are not the typical stories that you find in the internet, it is nice to read this. I will surely recomend it to my peers, cheers!

Reply

Beth Jackson
18:11 Apr 06, 2022

Thank you for your lovely comments, Ricardo! I really appreciate the time you took to read and comment. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Deb Ratcliffe
07:52 Dec 20, 2021

I loved this story. I've been to groups like that, too and that was a great scathing retort.

Reply

Beth Jackson
07:25 Jan 15, 2022

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
04:46 Nov 28, 2021

Great shot story, very "right on", her character did exactly the right thing, great read!! I have so been there myself a time or two, good job! Anita Echiku

Reply

Beth Jackson
07:27 Jan 15, 2022

Thank you Anita!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Simsim Rose
18:54 Nov 23, 2021

This is a very well constructed story with such a clear message and a great sense of the scene.

Reply

Beth Jackson
17:05 Nov 25, 2021

Thank you Sima!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
DAX SIEPKER
20:16 Nov 18, 2021

nice story

Reply

Beth Jackson
17:27 Nov 20, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
C Louise
16:50 Nov 11, 2021

This is wonderfully written...your description of sleep deprivation is very accurate.

Reply

Beth Jackson
17:12 Nov 11, 2021

Thank you for your kind comments! :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Indigo Cram
15:03 Nov 11, 2021

this story is amazing!!!!!!!!!

Reply

Beth Jackson
17:13 Nov 11, 2021

Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ry Danto
12:08 Nov 11, 2021

Congrats on the win! My wife can sooo relate to this… Third story of yours I’ve read and you’ve kept me engaged in each one.

Reply

Beth Jackson
17:20 Nov 11, 2021

Awww thank you! You’re very generous. Your comments have made my day. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ashley Cullen
18:19 Nov 09, 2021

What a wonderful story! I can relate to every bit of it. :)

Reply

Beth Jackson
00:38 Nov 10, 2021

Thank you Ashley! :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Corey Melin
01:33 Nov 09, 2021

An enjoyable read. I will say this is not the type of story I read often being the fantasy/sci fi/bizarre type but it kept my attention to find out the tribe she fits in which in many cases you have a tribe right in front of me. Like picking out clothes. The first one is usually the best. Ha! Ha!

Reply

Beth Jackson
16:58 Nov 09, 2021

Thanks for your kind words, Corey! :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Taylor Stepp
02:15 Nov 07, 2021

i like this story. im happy that anna has place to belong.

Reply

Beth Jackson
06:52 Nov 07, 2021

Thank you, Taylor! I really appreciate your kind comments. :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
M. M.
19:05 Nov 06, 2021

This was so clever and beautifully written, with style and humor, two men, omg, and he got jostled over not breastfeeding, so realistic since women are usually not supportive of a non-breastfeeding mother, Congrats on the well deserved creative win story.

Reply

Beth Jackson
06:51 Nov 07, 2021

Thank you for your kind comments! I really appreciate it! :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Beverley Clarke
20:32 Nov 05, 2021

I couldn't help giggle with the scathing remark! You brought the character/characters and her friend alive as if they are actually real.Great story.

Reply

Beth Jackson
23:52 Nov 05, 2021

Thank you so much for your lovely comments, Beverley! I really appreciate it! :-)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.