0 comments

Sad Fiction

 

TW: murder, abuse

*When it looks like forever*

Bruno laughed hard as Francesca tickled him continuously. Their story is a love tale that every teenager would wish for, the kind of love affair you watch only in the movies, it was tender, hopeful, and peaceful.

“I will love you to the moon and back Francesca” he professed his reassuring love for her, staring into her deep blue eyes.

“Nothing. Absolutely nothing can take you away from me, not any man, spirit or deity, not even death can take you away from me” he promised

Hearing this, she could only respond with a glee. The way she blushed made the foundation on her cheek glow red. Not knowing how well to reply his protective speech, she drew his face closer and buried it in hers.

Bruno didn’t know happiness when he was little, he was always bullied and picked on in school which was one of the reasons that prompted his withdrawal from school. His dad left him and his mom (his mom was a drunk and never really cared for him, instead it was the other way round). He contemplated suicide many times and had a failed attempt once.

In her eyes he found something to live for.

*When you make it forever*

Bruno sat beside the sickbed of Francesca, his head buried in his palms. He could only imagine what she was going through, if he had the choice of trading places with her he would without a second thought.

A successful surgery will get her back on her feet with maybe slight complications, but if futile might lead to her dead, either way he has to raise a huge some to either for the operation or sustain her till she kiss the other side.

He felt helpless, there is his beloved barely breathing or moving and he couldn’t do anything about it. It was more like her life is in his hands, if he agrees with the idea for a surgery it’s a fifty-fifty percent chances of her survival and if he declines she will die anyway but at least they will have a minimum of 2 months to live together. He couldn’t afford to see her suffer any longer. He thought of working double shifts to raise some money for the surgery but then there won’t be enough time to raise such figure, he thought of selling some of his properties…….

Her hand stroke his head and brought him back to reality, she did the best she can to put on a smile as she gave him a do-not-worry-too-much stare, he tries to reassure himself with her smile that everything will be alright but this will be the first time he is having doubts in her smile. He knew she was faking it, he could only wonder what was going on inside of her.

Finally he came to a conclusion of what action to take bring back the happiness the once had together. He decided to confide in his closes of friends.

He drove downtown to meet Mathew at a local bar. After a long hearty talk about Francesca’s situation, Mathew asked “What have you decided to door now?”

“What has to be done”

“And what does that imply?” he asked curiously.

Bruno bent over and whispered something in his ear. Mathew put on an expression of shock and disbelief.

“You can’t possibly do that Bruno, there has to be another way”

“That is the only way, I can’t let death take her away from me” he said. “I promised her that”

“If you get caught you could end up in jail for life” Mathew cautioned.

“I won’t give them the chance to” he said and walked out of the bar.

Bruno stood in front of the mall looking left and right cautiously, dressed in all black, which includes a hand gloves and a hood that concealed most part of his face. He hands were shaking, he thought about Mathew’s warning and the consequences that might follow if he gets caught in the act but he had to take chances. He cocks the Beretta M9 pistol he acquired from a friend, it was loaded, he knows once he goes in there is no turning back but his mind has been made up and nobody can change it now.

He decided on a second thought to take off his disguise and face whatever heads on.

He went into the room where she laid helplessly, he knelt and took her hand. She was at her waste medical state. she couldn’t speak or move anymore.

“Francesca why?” he started “you promised to stay at my sight forever. You didn’t mention this part of the scene. Didn’t you enjoy every moment we shared? Didn’t you say as long as you live you will always make me happy? Didn’t you say all that?”

He stared at her pale face knowing she can’t respond to his entire questions, he couldn’t hold back his emotions any more as he let the tears in his eyes flow like the River of Babylon. He stood and hit the cupboard beside her bed repeatedly and aggressively.

“Why Francesca? Why? – Why will you let the cancer eat you? Why?” he cried.

I pulled out a photo of them on a beach in sun shades smiles and showed her. Though she was still and unable to move she let out a tear, she was broken inside, she can’t bear to see him like this but there was nothing she could do about it, everything was in his hands.

“I was willing to do anything for you Francesca. All you had to do was ask and it will be done”

He sat back down and pulled out the pistol he got earlier. He scratched his itchy brain with the mouth of it, and then he continued.

“I did promise never to let anything come between us, not even death. And I will fulfill my promises. I will make sure you find peace and never suffer anymore and we’ll be together in each other’s arms”

He stood up again, cock the gun, this time he was ready for go on with what he intended to do. He knew what wanted to do was totally wrong but I couldn’t watch her suffer anymore.

He walked to the balcony and spread the curtains wide, allowing the moonlight creep in. He shuffled back to her and kiss her one more time and put the gun on her temple.

“I won’t give death the privilege to take you away. If anyone should then it’s me.” He wept. “I will see you in paradise my love” he whispered as he pulled the trigger.

I laid down beside her, wept for a while then put the gun to his head and let the bullets in.

Forever there will be in paradise.

 

May 21, 2021 16:12

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.