0 comments

Romance Sad Fiction

Evelyn's weathered hands once again tied the apron strings behind her back into a perfect bow; the smell of bread filled the tiny kitchen alongside the smell of meat pies. She checked on the progress of the food before swiftly moving to the dining room; Evelyn gathered the fine china crockery, pure silver silverware and snow white candles from the china cabinet.

As was her habit each Sunday, Evelyn laid out the lace table cloths and decorated the table with her best crockery and utensils as she cooked her dear Albert's favourite meal: meat pies with a garden salad and fresh baked buns and for dessert: Baked Alaska cake. She smiled at the set table with satisfaction before returning to the kitchen. With the buns baked to perfection and the meat pies sizzling, she carefully took the food out of the over and placed the food on the crystal serving plates; Evelyn took the food to the table. She returned to the kitchen once more to retrieve the pitcher filled with sparkling apple juice. Albert preferred sparkling apple juice to champagne because he wanted to have a clear recollection of their evenings together.

Once the table was completely set, she lit the candles, turned the lights off and sat down in her chair. Sighing, Evelyn closed her eyes as a smile lifted her ruby red lips; she saw Albert dancing into the kitchen while she prepared supper. His hands took her flour covered ones and whirled her around the kitchen; his deep laugh filled her ears; her own laughter mixing with his and to her their laughter was the best music she had ever heard.

Evelyn loved the way his bright green eyes twinkled with pure love whenever he gazed at her; she often thought of their wedding day so many years ago. Her white lace dress fit her perfectly, the bird cage veil added a sweet touch to the ensemble; Albert had worn a black tuxedo with a yellow rose and white baby's breath pinned on. Their day had been pure magic filled with laughter and smiles; Albert had insisted the photographer take a lot of photographs of them.

She looked through their photo albums daily with a longing in her heart to return to that day, to feel Albert's arms around her. Her eyes opened, a heavy sigh escaped her lips and she continued to follow the routine that she had set for herself for the last decade. Her mind wondered to the year they found out they were expecting their first child, their son Albert.

“Evie!” shouted Albert excitement lacing his voice as he ran through the house to find her, “You'll never guess what just happened at work!”

Before she had a chance to say anything, he had swept her into his arms and spun her around the living room, laughter bubbled freely from her throat. His excitement was catching and even though she had no clue why he was so happy, Evelyn couldn't help but be happy with him.

“I was given a promotion and a raise!” laughed Albert his smile wide, “We can get that crib we saw in the store window of ABC Child...and a stroller and...”

“Let's start with the crib and see where we are...”giggled Evelyn

Albert's arms had tightened around her waist as he kissed her sweetly before kneeling in front of her. He placed his hands on her ever growing belly that protected their child, love and happiness evident in his face; Albert placed a gentle kiss on her belly whispering, “I can't wait to meet you!”

Her eyes wondered to the pictures that decorated the wall, they had five wonderful children, ten beautiful grandchildren and two great grandchildren on the way. Albert had always been cheerful and had a way of making a hard day disappear. She quietly prayed over the food before serving herself, filling her plate with the hot meat pie and garden salad. Evelyn's gaze landed on her Albert's chair, 'Oh Albert...'

Albert worked hard to provide for her an their children, he wanted to give their children everything he didn't have. Their house was a home filled with love and laughter, Evelyn and Albert made sure that if they had a difference of opinion they talked it out rather than yell and argue. Evelyn remembered the day she found Albert talking to their youngest daughter, a chuckle escaped her lips as she thought of that conversation between her husband and child.

“Daddy, why can't I have a real horse?”

“Well, Leah there are a few reasons for this,” explained Albert patiently, “it takes a lot of money to take care of horses and it is a lot of responsibility...however, I have something for you that I hope will make up for not receiving a real horse.”

He handed her a bag and watched his little girl eagerly dive into the gift, Leah gasped loudly when she saw the handsomely carved wooden horse that had been painted to look like the real animal. She threw her arms around her fathers neck and thanked him over and over again.

“Leah if you still love horses when you're ten years old,” smiled Albert affectionately, “we can see about horse riding lessons.”

“Really?!” squealed Leah excitement shining bright in her eyes

“Really.”

Evelyn wiped the tears from her cheeks as her thoughts ran back to the day he had surprised Leah with horse riding lessons just as he had promised her three years earlier; Leah had been so surprised by the gift that she worked hard to learn everything she could. Today Leah owned a successful horse ranch and had a wall filled with show jumping ribbons.

Their other children were also successful in their line of work because their father's undying support. Although Evelyn worried at times about their children's career choices, Albert always found a way to erase those worries.

Evelyn had finished the last bite of meat pie and quickly moved to clear the dinner from the table to bring out the Alaskan baked cake. She cut a generous slice and layed it on her plate, the fork in her hand wobbled slightly just as her lower lip trembled sadly. Evelyn would never forget the day the police came to her door twelve years ago to give her the news of her husband's passing.

Albert had been getting groceries at the market near their home when he had suddenly collapsed due to a heart attack; she remembered the police officer catching her before she fell to the ground and guiding her to her living room couch. Evelyn didn't recall much of what was said that day, her heart had shattered into a million pieces. Those days had passed by so slowly and then those days had turned into years; she knew Albert wouldn't want her to be sad and so she decided to keep up the tradition of a romantic dinner each Sunday to remember their wonderful and loving marriage. They had created an incredible life together and she wanted to celebrate it. Her children stopped by almost daily to check in on her, and that had prevented her loneliness from overwhelming her.

A few more tears trailed down her cheeks, however, these were tears of a happier sort. Her eyes gazed lovingly at the wedding photo of Albert sitting in it's silver frame opposite her. In the photograph, Albert was smiling widely at the camera, that smile was filled with promises that were kept, with love that lasted not only throughout their marriage but would last much longer than death. Evelyn knew that when her time came, Albert would greet her with three things: a hug, a kiss and a smile that would continue on through eternity.

February 19, 2021 22:32

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.