Today I Will Wake Up

Submitted into Contest #230 in response to: Write a story in the form of a list.... view prompt

24 comments

Fiction Contemporary Sad

“Goal setting is so important, it helps to break the impossible tasks into possibilities. Write them down, have a plan, have a goal. Tick things off the list as you go. You will be surprised at how much you can achieve,” said my therapist to me.

“I know.” And I did know, I just never did it. But I will today.

Today I will:

1) wake up and I will get out of bed. I will do it without groaning or moaning. Nothing will hurt. I will be refreshed and rejuvenated. I will have energy to face the day. It will be a great day.

2) get dressed and I will look in the mirror and I will recognise the person looking back at me. She will be someone I know and love. Her hair will be brushed and face clean of makeup. Her teeth will be white and her eyes bright.

3) eat healthily all day. But first I will drink coffee, lots of coffee, strong and black and I will need two spoons of sugar. And maybe two whole cups of coffee just to start the day right. Then I will eat a cooked breakfast with eggs and tomatoes.

4) not drink wine from a tumbler, so the kids won’t know that I’m not drinking apple juice. I will drink water instead, and I will enjoy it. I will have it with ice and I will suck on those ice cubes, let them crunch up in my mouth and trickle down my throat.

5) take the kids to school and have them there on time, in their uniform, with their lunch packed. It will be a healthy lunch… fruits and salad with wholemeal bread for sandwiches. They might have yoghurt too, with a little ice pack to keep things fresh.

6) go shopping for groceries and I will not pass the liquor shop. Today I will spend every cent I have on fresh produce that makes good nutritious meals for growing children. I will not buy chocolate and chips, or coke and cream buns. I will look at the healthy eating pyramid and make sure that there is something from each of the food groups in my pantry and fridge.

7) clean the house from top to bottom. I will wash and dry all the dirty dishes, putting them away in the cupboards. I will wash the dirty clothes and peg them out to dry. The dirty bathroom and toilet will be scrubbed until it shines. I will clean out the fridge so that there is room for all the meals that I will make. I will sweep all the floors and take out the rubbish.

8) smile and enjoy my life. I will call up a friend and ask them over for coffee, or a freshly made low-fat, high-fibre baked treat that I will take out of the oven just as they arrive, so the house smells warm and inviting.

9) pick the kids up from school and take them to the playground where they can run and laugh, and I will laugh as I watch them. Then I will take them home to complete their homework, helping them with their math and spelling and reading. I will listen to their stories and ask them about their day as I prepare the evening meal.

10) read the children a story before bed then tuck them in with a goodnight kiss.

11) cleanse my face and apply night cream. I will brush and floss my teeth.

12) be grateful. I have a good life.

But first I must wake up and get out of bed. That’s the first challenge. Take it one step at a time. That’s what she said to do. Break it down into manageable steps.

Today I:

1) could barely open my eyes and the sunlight was like an arrow to my eyeballs as I staggered to the bathroom, bladder bursting.

2) frightened myself as I looked in the mirror. Who let the wild banshee in? She’s bloodshot and bedraggled, with bad breath.

3) had a pounding headache and willed it away with the last of the wine in a tumbler, so the kids wouldn’t know it wasn’t apple juice.

4) tossed down some painkillers with water straight from the tap. (After the wine. Even I know not to mix medicine and alcohol.)

5) lost the car keys, so the kids had to walk to school. The fresh air would do them good. I had nothing in the cupboard for lunch, so I pressed a few coins into their hand along with a nut bar that I found in the back of the pantry.

6) felt guilty for not having food for the kids’ lunches so I went to the shops. I still couldn’t find the keys, so I had to walk. Thankfully, it cleared my head a little, but it made me thirsty. I didn’t make it past the bottle shop.

7) put the wine into the fridge, it’s nicer cold. The fridge needed cleaning; it was growing something gross, and the bottles couldn’t fit in the shelves. I tossed everything in the bin. That was when I found the car keys in the vegetable crisper. Who put them there?

8) smiled because I found the keys. The kids wouldn’t have to walk home. I celebrated with a cold drink, and I even put it in a nice glass. The kids weren’t there to know it wasn’t apple juice.

9) drove to the school to pick the kids up. Not sure how I missed the turn, but the streets didn’t look the same as they used to. I got lost and tried to turn around. The car didn’t like it.

10) finally found the right road. It took me a little longer, but I got there not too long after school finished. My kids were the last ones, and they looked at me with those eyes that said too much, yet they spoke not a word as they hopped in.

11) didn’t make it home, neither did the kids. I never got to read them a bedtime story.

December 28, 2023 10:09

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

24 comments

13:50 Dec 28, 2023

Ouch. I was finding this funny until that sucker punch ending. Because yeah things seldom go according to our best intentions. Powerful.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:29 Dec 28, 2023

Thanks for reading. With all the best intentions in the world, it’s hard to change.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
11:02 Dec 28, 2023

Sad. Some lists are just New Year's resolutions - sometimes it's too hard to stick to them. Maybe this woman will have better luck tomorrow. Favourite line: 'who let the wild banshee in?' :)

Reply

Michelle Oliver
11:07 Dec 28, 2023

Thanks Khadija. Best intentions often go astray. Wanting to change doesn’t always equal being able to change.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
08:44 Jan 02, 2024

I loved this! Great take on the prompt.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
09:04 Jan 02, 2024

Thank you for reading it.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Miriam Culy
13:05 Jan 01, 2024

Nicely done! I found the story as a list prompt an interesting one myself and was extremely impressed by your take on it. What a powerful ending! That 11th point really hit home, just wow!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
13:39 Jan 01, 2024

Thanks for reading. I’m pleased the ending had impact.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
AnneMarie Miles
17:30 Dec 30, 2023

I love the contrasting lists, that was a nice touch. It also tells us a deeper story, the struggle of an addict who wants to change but can't seem to. The first step is always awareness and desire to change, so at least there's hope there! Or there was. That ending was crushing.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
20:56 Dec 30, 2023

Addiction is a cruel master and it’s so difficult to break free of it. Thanks for reading and responding.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Michał Przywara
21:38 Dec 29, 2023

Love that ending, hits like a hammer. I also like the subtle point about the first list having 12 items, but the second only making it to 11. It all started so hopeful, but right from point 1 (on list 1) I had a bad feeling. This narrator sounded like she was in a bad place, and item 1 already had so much room for being overwhelmed. And things like “Nothing will hurt” is just self-sabotage. You can hardly control that, can you? Things go downhill, and the original list is more or less abandoned. What's truly sad is that this was all avoid...

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:08 Dec 29, 2023

Thank you for reading it and as always your feedback is spot on. The second list was cut short in a tragic way, I’m so please that you picked that up. There is so much self destruction when the demon of addiction is put into the mix. She has all the good intentions but change is not easy. It doesn’t make her a bad person, just one who is unwell and struggling.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RJ Holmquist
15:19 Dec 29, 2023

So relatable in the fact we all make hopeful lists and then feel all the more a failure as we go about not doing them. Your MC struggles were so sad and so well depicted in list form.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:09 Dec 29, 2023

Thank you. It’s not always easy to change even with the best of intentions.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Rebecca Miles
09:47 Dec 29, 2023

The voice is spot on in this one. The resolutions are relentless and that driving " I will" is a juggernaut we just know is going to swerve. The poignancy comes from the reversal of the refrain: the apple juice never makes it into the tumbler, the healthy foods remain unbaked or unbought. It's all terribly relatable. I'm sure many mothers recognise at some level the drive to tick this list off: the food pyramid, the homemade foods, but life conspires so easily to break resolve. Demon drink...this moved me.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
10:31 Dec 29, 2023

Thanks for reading it. We are our own worst enemies with unrealistic expectations of perfection that we can never achieve.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Ty Warmbrodt
08:29 Dec 29, 2023

I agree with Derrick. It seemed so lighthearted and then wham, it got dark. I think this was a great take on the prompt, showing how hard it is to have our lives all together all of the time with a bitter end. Great job on this.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
08:33 Dec 29, 2023

Thanks, Ty. Even with the best of intentions it’s hard to break out of a destructive cycle of addiction. There is the dream of what a perfect life should look like and then the reality of the life we actually live.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
J. D. Lair
01:35 Dec 29, 2023

You know what they say about good intentions… I was really pulling for this momma cuz I personally know the struggle and it’s a tough demon to kick. Sorrowful for the way things ended, but it’s all too common sadly. Well done as always Michelle!

Reply

Michelle Oliver
03:40 Dec 29, 2023

Yeah, the road to hell is paved with good intentions. The demon is so very strong, and it doesn’t make someone a bad person, just a person who is struggling.

Reply

J. D. Lair
04:55 Dec 29, 2023

Very true! I wish more people saw it that way, but usually we are looked upon as pariahs. If this is from personal experience, hang in there! It does get better and is very possible to conquer those demons. Coming up on 4 years myself, so anything is possible as long as we keep trying. ❤️

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
19:09 Dec 28, 2023

Wonder how she finished that list never making it home and all. Still overall a chilling tell.

Reply

Michelle Oliver
22:25 Dec 28, 2023

Good point. Thanks for reading

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Viber Nilto
03:50 Jan 02, 2024

Get Passports, Visas, Driver's License, ID CARDS, Marriage certificates, Diplomas, Birth Certificates, Credit cards, Utility bills, Social Security cards, Resident permits, Death certificates, Banknotes dollar / euro Pounds We are a team of professionals with many years of experience in producing fake passports and other identity documents, best quality producers of fake documents. With more than 10 million documents circulating in the world. Email ( lifiben@gmail.com ) TEXT/CALL/WHATSAPP: 951-254-2452 https://clean-documents.com

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.