0 comments

Fiction Inspirational

Shelby stood at the counter, glancing around at the small number of patrons in the jewelry store. They were completely oblivious of her, but she felt like she stood out like a fish out of water. This was not a store she frequented nor did she own any similar items such as the ones displayed in the shining, crystal clear cases. Except for the ring, of course. That enormous, beautiful diamond ring she had shown the jeweler when she came in was all hers.


As she waited, she nervously tugged at a strand of hair, repeatedly twirling it around her index finger and then releasing it so that the curl sprang back to life. As she turned around, she caught sight of her reflection in a long mirror. Yes, she definitely stood out like a fish out of water in this store, which catered mainly to the affluent and upper crust society in Charleston. Her bohemian style clothing was anything but preppy or professional in appearance – she did not look like an attorney, physician, or anyone else who might frequent this place. Her wild blonde curls fell in disarray all about her shoulders as if screaming in rebellion at the world, refusing to be tamed, much like Shelby herself.


The jeweler who had taken her diamond ring to the back for appraisal was short and pudgy, with cheeks the color of strawberries. He wore glasses on his protruding nose and had approached her with every semblance of politeness as she’d entered the store nearly an hour ago. After a brief discussion, he had taken the ring to the back where he’d now been for more than thirty minutes. She was quite sure that when he’d realized she was seeking to sell such a ring as the one in her possession, he had quickly insured it was not stolen. No, she did not look at all like someone who would own such a large, expensive ring, but she did, and she was all too anxious to rid herself of it today if at all possible. She was hopeful that a new window of opportunity loomed on the horizon that would enable her to move forward.


The jeweler came back and peered at her over his wire-rimmed glasses, which repeatedly slid down the length of his nose despite his best attempts to the contrary. “Miss Bentley…,” he began.


“Yes?” she asked hopefully.


“Everything checks out. Are you sure you want to sell this ring? It’s really quite a beautiful ring – so lovely. And it’s worth….,” he hesitated, not finishing his sentence as he stared at her questioningly.


Shelby eyed him expectantly. Dare she hope that he might use the words ‘a great deal’? “Yes, it’s worth what?” she prompted the jeweler.


He shook his head as he answered her. “Well, it’s worth quite a bit of money, Miss Bentley. I would easily give you $75,000 for it today if you really want to sell it. However, I must be honest and advise you that if you chose to sell it privately instead, you would most likely get a great deal more.”


Shelby nearly fainted. “Seventy-five thousand…dollars?” she asked, unable to mask the surprise in her voice.


The jeweler smiled. “Yes, Miss Bentley, $75,000. It’s a nearly flawless 3 carat diamond and set in platinum. I have to ask you again if you are absolutely sure you want to sell it?”


Shelby glanced down at the ring that lay atop the black velvet board on the glass case. It was a beautiful diamond, but it represented everything she needed to put behind right now so that she could forward, and hopefully, while doing so, help others as well.


“Yes,” she said with the utmost conviction. “I am sure that I want to sell it. And if you’re willing to pay me $75,000 today, I am prepared to accept your offer.”


The jeweler shook his head slightly, obviously a bit perplexed, but then nodded and turned to a long counter to prepare the paperwork where he removed a little black notebook. Asking for her identification, he meticulously recorded all the details in regard to the sale of the ring before he completed the transaction, handing her check that was larger than any other she’d ever received. Before doing so, he assured her that he could show her something lovely to replace what she was selling, but Shelby shook her head and politely declined. She had no need for such frivolous items as these pieces of jewelry, even though they were beautiful. She had every intention, instead, of putting the $75,000 to better use.


Nearly twenty minutes later, the necessary papers were signed, and Shelby was $75,000 wealthier – at least for the moment. She left the diamond behind as she headed out the door and to a nearby bank. She felt ridiculously and unnaturally light. It was psychosomatic – it had to be. Her body was relieved of something that reminded her of what would never be, causing her a deep felt sorrow, and so now, as a result, she felt freer than the summer breeze that whipped through the trees lining the old cobblestone street. And if she didn’t know better, she’d think she was more light-footed than she’d ever been at any other time. She was more than sure that she was doing the right thing, and she was looking forward to new endeavors.


At the bank, Shelby was able to secure a Cashier’s Check for $75,000 in a very short amount of time. Money speaks volumes, she thought to herself. She carefully tucked the check in her purse and headed back outside. The sunshine on her face and the wind in her hair felt incredible as she exited the bank, and she was more excited – indeed she was happier - than she had been in the last six very long and painful months.


She strolled down the street and stopped at her favorite coffee shop where she chose a table outside because of the lovely spring weather. Tourists were bustling up and down the lovely historical street, many strolling hand in hand like lovers often do. As she watched them, a small pain tore at the memories in her heart, and despite her best attempts, Shelby felt the sting of tears mist her eyes.


Moments later, after regaining her composure, Shelby took a sip of her coffee and looked down as she touched her purse, reassured by the check that lay therein. Life would be different soon, and she could not wait to present Brandon with the cashier’s check for $75,000. He would be both surprised and excited beyond measure. This was something Shelby had been contemplating doing since Garrett’s death, and now she was more than sure it was the perfect thing and very glad she'd followed her intuition.


Shelby knew she could have easily held onto the beautiful diamond ring her former fiancé, Garrett, had given her, a symbol to remember the love they had shared while enjoying the significance the diamond represented in so many ways. But in her heart, she knew that this was something he would want. After all, she did not need a ring to remember the depth of the love that she and Garrett had shared. And in doing this thing she planned to do, she would honor Garrett by making an impact in an area in which he had devoted himself ever since graduating from medical school seven years ago. In the beginning, he’d chosen to support Médecins Sans Frontières, or Doctors Without Borders, with purely financial donations, but eventually, he had felt the pull to do much more and enrolled to work for the group shortly after his proposal and giving her the beautiful diamond.


At the time, Garrett had assured her that he had committed to work for the non-profit agency for only two years, after which time, they would have a beautiful wedding and begin their life anew. She always suspected that he would renew his contract for much longer than two years when the time came around, but she had not broached that subject, deciding that she might end up assisting him wherever he was in service so that they could both contribute to such a worthwhile cause. Since she was a clinical psychologist, she had been doing research about the possibility of joining him, but nothing had been finalized, and she had not mentioned anything to her fiancé. And then, suddenly and very unexpectedly, the news of Garrett’s death had come.


He had been assigned to the Republic of Congo in central-western Africa and had traveled for days to get to Kisangani. In his brief communications with her over the months, he had reassured her that he was safe and well, and that he was making a substantial difference in the lives of many by being there. For nearly a year, all had been relatively quiet, but then fighting had broken out, and many civilians and MSF Staff had been caught within the crossfire. News had come to her in the form of Brandon, the MSF coordinator from the main office at the Medical University in Charleston.


She still remembered the slight knock upon her door that late October afternoon. She vividly remembered that it was much chillier that evening than it usually was in October for the warmer, southern climate of Charleston. In retrospect, the colder weather had fit with the news she received that night.


At first sight, she had been delighted to see Brandon on her doorstep, but within moments, she had immediately realized that something was very wrong. Entering her small apartment, Brandon had given her the news that they suspected Garrett had been killed in the fighting that had ensued where he was living. Several days later, confirmation of his death had come, and nothing had remained the same for Shelby since that horrible moment of time. Life as she knew it had been suspended, and it had taken at least two months for her to draw herself from the depths of deep depression and seek life beyond the four walls of her apartment. That was four months ago – a total of six months since Garrett’s death - but today she had a new window of opportunity before her. And all because of the beautiful diamond with which Garrett had gifted her because he loved her so much.


Finishing her coffee, Shelby rose and quickly headed to Brandon’s office. His secretary ushered her into the large office where he was seated at a very messy desk, submerged in paperwork. He had nine computer screens full of pictures and assorted information all about the room which he was reviewing. Brandon looked up, surprise etched on his face as he greeted her. Quickly, he stood and rounded the corner of his desk, his arms outstretched.


“Shelby! How wonderful to see you! How are you?” he asked, hugging her slender frame.


Shelby smiled, and Brandon was amazed by the peace he saw in her expression. When last he’d seen her, Shelby had been full of despair, and he had been genuinely concerned. But now, where once there had lingered the haunting telltale signs of loss and grief, there was only a smile and a contentment that had not surfaced from her eyes in many months.


Shelby reached into her purse and pulled out the check. “Brandon, in remembrance of Garrett, to honor his dream and all that this organization does, I want you to have this donation,” she said, immense joy infusing her as she handed him the large check.


Brandon looked down as he reached for the piece of paper she held. His eyes grew wide, and he lost sight of all but the $75,000 before him for a moment.


“Shelby! What in the world?! This is wonderful!” he said. “How ever did you raise such an exorbitant amount?”


Shelby held up her now bare left hand, and Brandon’s eyes reflected his surprise. “You sold your beautiful ring?” he questioned, sheer astonishment in his voice.


“Yes, I did!” Shelby said emphatically. “More good will come from me selling the ring, and I know it’s what Garrett would have wanted. Selling the ring and gifting this organization with the money helps to honor his memory so much more than by me continuing to simply wear it.”


Brandon was in awe of her actions. “Shelby, this is unbelievable and will make a tremendous difference to so many in need. Thank you from the bottom of my heart.” Brandon was clearly moved by the generous gift, realizing full well what strength it had taken for Shelby to sell the treasured ring, as well as the impact the large donation would have on the organization.


“There’s more,” Shelby said quietly, but with commitment. ‘But I need your help, Brandon.”


Brandon’s brow rose in question. “Yes?” he asked. “What can I do for you? Just let me know, Shelby.”


“I want to be a part of it all, too,” she smiled, confident in the decision she had made. “I want to make a difference. Garrett believed in what you do so much. He believed in helping those less fortunate, and I, well, I believed in Garrett. My life without him will have so much more meaning if I do this thing.” Shelby looked down at her feet, the sting of tears in the back of her eyes as she continued, “And I will not miss him quite so much. I know he will be with me as I live his dream.”


Brandon was amazed. He smiled and hugged Shelby tightly. “And that, Shelby, is the larger of the two gifts you have given today. Please, my dear, have a seat, and we will get you signed up right away.” He started to walk back to his desk but of a sudden, he stopped and turned back to her. “Garrett would be so very proud of you. It’s no wonder he loved you as he did.”


Those words were like long deprived sustenance to Shelby, providing strength, reassurance, and confirmation. She knew beyond a doubt that she had just done the most profound thing imaginable to honor the love she and Garrett had shared. And after six long, painful months, the world had finally turned right again, providing new opportunities and more wonderful reasons for living.

June 11, 2021 14:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.