6 comments

Romance

It had been 10 years and the 10 year class reunion for Lovely High School was this Saturday. Ash was not thrilled, but she had made a promise to someone very important to her during Senior Graduation that she would go.

She sighed and pulled herself out of bed. It had been cold last night. Ash hugged herself as she let out a melancholy sigh. Of course, it was cold. She was used to sleeping next to somebody. Now, she was all alone wants more. Her fiance left her for someone else.

The last thing Ash wanted to do on her weekend was go to this reunion, where everyone would be flaunting their husbands and wives. She may have been a successful author with money, but the big thing would be who was with who. Just as it was when they were 10 years younger back in High school.

After packing and getting in the car, Ash took a deep breath; preparing for her 8 hour drive. A small smile did find its way tugging at Ash's lips. Maybe she would see him there. They had made a promise to be here.

Ash had always been the quiet, nerdy girl that you read about in books. Even had glasses that completed the whole en sample. She was never really bullied, just didn't have a lot of friends. But Grey came to Lovely High her freshman year and everything from middle school changed.

From the minute Grey had stepped into that school, Ash had been his target. He didn't know why, but something about her drew him to her like an owner jerking on a dog leash. Ash was beautiful in many ways than just a face. Her hair was long chocolate strands that couldn't get any straighter. Her Hazel eyes was always hidden behind those glasses doing something. Whether is was writing or reading. Her quiet demeanor was beautiful too. As if she was always wandering around in her imagination to find the next thing she would put beautifully on paper. Writing was the most important thing to her, so she wasn't exactly fit. She had plenty of curves, which was fine by him. It gave him more of the girl to love. He was determined to get her and he did, all through high school. It wouldn't last of course. She wasn't going to school and he was on a full-ride to become an engineer. Which would inevitably take him away from the small country town of Lovely all together. So after Senior Graduation they parted ways. He didn't have another relationship for the next 10 years in hopes that this day would come and he could get her back. Get his second chance to make her the happiest girl in the world.

As soon as Ash stepped out of her car and looked at the entrance to the high school, her breath caught in her throat. Standing at the door was Grey, her high school sweetheart. She could tell even from the distance that he was as charming as ever. His dark chocolate hair was now cut short from the long hair he used to keep in High school. A nicely trimmed beard defined his face beautifully. He wasn't a scrawny teenage boy anymore. His muscles were defined handsomely on his arms and legs, but he held some more weight on his stomach, which made Ash smile.

"I guess you have drank one too many beers then huh?" She said calmly, finally walking up to him to admire him up close. Grey chuckled and pushed himself off the wall he was leaning on to give her a hug. "You leave my gut alone. It gives me character." He replied, making Ash giggle.

Grey looked around, "Your fiance still in the car?" He knew she had a fiance after visiting Ash's parents when he got here. Her parents were still as lovely as ever. "Oh, um, no. He's not here."

"Had to work or something?"

"No, he left me...about a week ago." Grey had to keep himself from smiling. "That's terrible, Ash. I'm sorry."

"The only reason I'm here is because of the promise I made to you..."

"Well, then, let's bust this joint and go have dinner somewhere." Grey grinned and Ash blushed lightly. "R-really?"

"Yeah, we have a lot of catching up to do and it's not like we really cared about how everyone else was doing anyways."

Ash and Grey met at Sweetheart's diner in Lovely. They loved going to this diner as kids. "I have all your books. Read them all too. They are really good, Ash. I'm proud of you." Grey said as they sat down. Ash smiled, "Thank you. That means a lot. Did you find a good engineering job?"

"I did. But I got an offer from the high school here about a month ago asking if I would be the new science teacher here."

"Is that right?"

"Yeah. I love this little town and I got my teaching degree easily after becoming an engineer. Guess I'm just trying to find another reason to stay." Grey smiled, causing Ash to smile back at him.

"I left Lovely about 5 years ago with my fiance trying to move on from you, Grey..."

"Why, Ash? I mean, did that work out very well?"

"I didn't think I was ever going to see you again. I wasn't just going to wait around for you."

"We never said we had to wait for this moment. But even after ten years, Ash, nothing's changed. I still love you and quite honestly I don't want that to change." Grey took Ash's hands and kissed the back of each one. "You can write books anywhere. Stay with me here in Lovely. Give me a reason to stay, Ash. Why do you think I made you promise to come to the silly high school reunion?" Ash was silent for a very long time. She was unsure what to think. She still loved Grey too, but it's been ten years. They aren't the same people they were in high school.

"Okay." She said with a long sigh. "I will move back to Lovely with you." Grey's smile couldn't have gotten any bigger.

"This second chance better be worth it." Ash rolled her eyes with a smile. "Oh, it will be." Grey replied happily as their food reached the table.

August 07, 2020 18:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

6 comments

Chris Buono
16:28 Aug 16, 2020

Great story. Loved it.

Reply

Sierra Riley
18:06 Aug 16, 2020

Thank you.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Crystal Lewis
09:53 Aug 15, 2020

Very sweet, lovely story. :) Just a tip, when a new person starts speaking, you start a new line. Just makes it easier to keep track of who is saying what. Feel free to read my latest story “The Fish, the Stork and the Frog.”

Reply

Sierra Riley
15:12 Aug 15, 2020

Thank you for the tip. I remember in writing class in school they always told us that if there was something in between to the dialogues then we didn't have to make a new line. But I definitely agree that it is easier to keep track of you just go ahead and start one.

Reply

Crystal Lewis
15:22 Aug 15, 2020

Yeah there’s some funny rules surrounding dialogue and the formatting. I usually err on the side of caution and just new line it. Like this one here from your story would be better on the separate lines: "No, he left me...about a week ago." Grey had to keep himself from smiling. "That's terrible, Ash. I'm sorry." You usually don’t new line it if the same person is speaking on either side of the “normal” part of the story (not dialogue part). But two different people speaking on either side you would. It was still fairly easy to r...

Reply

Sierra Riley
18:05 Aug 15, 2020

Well thank you. I will definitely remember it for next time. :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.