3 comments

High School Romance Teens & Young Adult

The air was damp and cold. So cold that Iris’ tank top, shirt, sweater, and fleece lined jacket could not keep the cold from seeping in towards her skin and giving her a harsh chill. She had never been too fond of the bitter weather, however the smell of ozone in the park after the strong rains earlier were relaxing enough to make it all worthwhile.

“So Josh, why exactly are you here?” Iris asked with an unintended bitterness in her voice.

“Like I told you before, I’m just here to get tutored.” Josh responded.

“Your tutoring is at the other end of the park in half an hour though.” Iris stated. “So why are you here?”

Josh awkwardly shrugged and said he had just arrived earlier than normal, but that was only half of the truth. 

Josh had had a crush on Iris since 3rd grade and now as a sophomore was still desperately trying to catch her without having to formally ask her on a date. And much other than the stereotypical football player, Josh had absolutely no game.

“I know you arrived early. I’m asking you why I saw you biking up Rodriguez hill at triple the speed you bike anywhere else on flat land.” Iris questioned again.

“Well I just wouldn’t want to be late.” Josh replied with a sideways smirk on his face.

“And I don’t want you to be late, but why chase me down. If you hadn't noticed, I was trying to take a peaceful walk through the meadow ALONE!” Iris replied.

But she didn’t truly mean that. She didn’t mind walking with Josh and just hanging out, but as of the nerdy girl code, she was bound to science and thinking about nothing more than science, including boys, especially football players. But maybe she felt something for Josh. His tall and muscular figure intrigued her almost as much as his funny and quirky attitude. But day after day when she met up with Josh to tutor him she reminded herself that boys were merely a distraction from education and eventually a career. 

“Well I’m sorry to ruin your lonely walk. Just think of it as, umm, social studies.” Josh joked.

Iris smiled a little but turned her head to hide it. “That's not even close to the true definition and learning of social studies.”

Josh grinned. Her fiery personality always grabbed at him and he was always at awe in her extensive knowledge of the most random things.

“How about you just log it as an extra 30 minutes of community service then.” Josh tried once more.

Iris blushed and it was a little harder to hide that time. “Let's get back to the parking lot and picnic area so I can grab a blanket and we can begin.”

They turned around because the trail only led to a dead end and walked in silence for a minute.

“Sure is cold out here.” Josh said, standing ever so slightly closer to Iris.

“That's what you get for living in Canada in the winter.” Iris responded in a fast and snappy manner.

“True. I’ve never been one for the intense cold of our winters.”

“It’s not that bad. Just look up at the sky and smell the air.”

Iris turned her head up as an example and after only two more steps had led herself straight into the duck pond.

Josh dove in after her and scooped her up.

The moment was tense and not only could Iris feel his ripped chest but also his  warm breath on her cheek and his strong and steady heart beat against her body. 

Iris shrugged it off fast.

“What are you doing. This pond is like two feet deep. I’m pretty sure I can walk out on my own.”

Josh blushed with embarrassment as he set her down gently on the bank.

“I, uhh, I was just trying to help.”

“I can handle myself, thank you very much.” Iris said trying to force her rapidly growing feelings for Josh out of her head.

“I was just…”

Iris climbed out of the pond and peeled off her soaked jacket. Josh climbed out after her and he started to blush even more as he looked at her wet shirt. 

Iris gazed down but she already knew what she would see. Why hadn’t she worn a bra today? She crossed her arms over her chest clutching her soaked coat against her and began walking. 

Josh jogged up beside her.

“You look really cold. My jacket is dry if you want to borrow it.” Josh said, giving her ample opportunity to better hide her outlined breasts.

“I’m fine. Really.” Iris responded not wanting to make it awkward.

They walked in silence for half a mile before they passed a man smoking weed who looked Iris up and down and whistled.

Josh stepped in front of Iris and took off his coat, wrapping it around her shivering body.

Iris did not refuse but rather snuggled into it and gave Josh a warm smile. She reached down and grabbed Josh’s hand to show the weed addict she was taken. 

They walked at a faster pace until finally they were away from the weird man. Iris did not let go of Josh’s hand. Josh did not let go of hers. And neither of them planned to any time soon.

Finally they arrived back at the car parking lot.

“I was just holding your hand because of that weird guy you know.” Iris said as she let go of his hand and reached to unzip the coat she was borrowing from him.

Instead of agreeing though Josh simply said, “No you weren't.”

And at that, Josh pulled her in for a kiss. Iris didn’t stop him. She again felt a flutter in her stomach. She felt his chest again and she didn’t want it to stop. She grabbed his hair and he wrapped his arms around her waist, pulling her in tight. After the insanely intense moment happened, Iris reached down and grabbed his hand again. Josh used his thumb to stroke the top of her hand.

“So I guess I’ll see you tomorrow.” Josh said with his cute sideways smirk.

January 15, 2021 06:15

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Jax H.
18:46 Jan 22, 2021

Man, this was like what everyone wants to happen to them. Great job this was so much fun to read!

Reply

Show 0 replies
07:03 Jan 20, 2021

Honestly, if there was a boy out there like Josh for me, well I wouldn't be here writing this comment. Great job. I love the characters and connection.

Reply

Carol Diane
03:23 Jan 21, 2021

IKR. My only hope with boys is that one will except a girl who swims plays tennis plays volleyball and writes instead of lacrosse. Ugh. IDK how old you are but I wish 14 year old boys would grow up and see a sophisticated girl when there is one. Thanks for the compliments on the story.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.