The Day I met Yuni

Submitted into Contest #35 in response to: Write a story that takes place at a spring dance.... view prompt

4 comments

General

Frocks, frills and folderol. That’s all the spring dance was. You saw nothing but petals scattered over every bit of ground visible to the naked eye. Every lamp post was adorned with a vine of flowers and every street was decked with bunting and lights. And don’t forget the bouquets! There were geraniums, roses, lilies, peonies and every flower you could think of. They hung from every shop window, every basket of a young girl’s bike, not even the post boxes were spared. It was all so impractical and don’t get me started on the smell. It was completely suffocating! There was only one time of the year that the people of Hominum pulled out all the stops like this, it was the Spring Solstice. Put in a way that you might understand, it was like someone had shaken a giant blossom tree from the sky and Hominum was the aftermath of a floral blizzard.

Other than the flowers, the dance was another thing the Solstice brought with it. For girls it was a time to doll up and find a lover, and for boys it was a time to prove their masculine virility to all their friends. Only one group were excluded from it, the faeris. Magic was outlawed after the Hundred Year War, so as you can imagine, a race of naturally magic beings weren’t exactly welcomed with open arms. They stayed in the Humilis Woods, where there were no lights, ribbons or bouquets.

I’d never met a faeri before, but I’d seen one when I was out hunting. It was a young girl. She’d looked normal with two eyes, a nose and a mouth. The only tell-tale factors were her ears that were hidden away behind her curly, wild hair. They were pointed upwards at the tip, giving away that she was the wrong type of person on the wrong side of town. Her golden eyes gleamed with tears, as if she thought I would turn her in. I didn’t think she proved much harm though, so I let her run away.

Anyway, back to the dance. I was always up for feasting and staying up late, but this celebration lasted for a whole week! That may not sound like much, but it was exhausting. Even the party paraphernalia would lose its charm and end up looking tedious and repetitive. The bouquets would grow a tinge of brown decay and droop, basically resembling how I felt by the first night. This particular year however turned out to be quite unlike the eighteen other Spring Solstices I had experienced.

I got ready in the morning with a lot of hassle from my mother and forced myself into a ridiculously frilly, white frock. In short, I looked like a walking, fluffy ball and my heels made it a blisteringly painful experience. My younger sister enjoyed this part much more than I did. I let my hair fall free about my shoulders, but I couldn't escape my mother gluing a flower crown to my head to make me look more ‘festive’. 

Eventually, we headed down to the square, opposite the entrance of the Humilis Woods. There were white chairs and tables laden with endless trays of food and drinks. I felt abysmal. For two thirds of the day, I was lucky enough to bury my head in a book, refusing all invitations to talk or play with a polite shake of the head. By the time it was dusk however, I had embarrassingly got my book confiscated by my father in front of all his peers.

By this time, the dance was about to begin and everyone had put on their masks, even me. The young girls huddled in a group, ripe and ready to dance, coyly smiling at their admirers. On the other side the boys were pushing and shoving each other to be the first one to step forward and ask a girl to dance. In no time at all the square was full of masked couples, weaving in and out of each other, like a well-rehearsed pantomime. I almost wanted to take part in it could you believe! But I thought better of it and instead took a stroll around the square. I ignored the leery looks from the ‘no good’ boys who huddled in a corner like a gang of theatrical goons. 

As I stood alone, I saw one of them strut towards me and I froze, possibly due to his ghastly male bravado. As he came closer, the foul stench of sweat and smoke filled my nose. I couldn’t even concentrate on what he was saying. At that point, I didn’t mind the smell of flowers, I would have happily stuffed my face into a bouquet if it meant avoiding that rancid smell. His frowning face looked at me as if he was waiting for an answer. I tried to shake my head but he took it as a nod and pulled me to the dance area as all his thuggish friends cheered. My heart was racing as I flinched with a face of disgust, trying desperately to pluck up the courage to say no. Turns out, I didn’t have to. I heard a loud male voice over the music from behind me. 

“Woah! Don’t go stealing my dance partner! I only went for a drink.” That’s when I noticed the stranger’s scent. It was subtly earthy, and I thought it was.. nice. I know that sounds weird but it gave my nostrils sweet relief from the gangly boy in front of me, who honestly smelled like he had sweated buckets and then rolled in ash. The scent was..I can’t put my finger on it, but it was very calming and natural which eased my nerves. The foul smelling boy stared at me with his beady eyes. “She didn’t seem to mind.” He snapped bitterly.

“Oh, I did actually. I shook my head, but I think you thought it was a nod…” I laughed nervously. Just as the gangly boy revealed his yellow teeth to reply, the person behind me cleared his throat. “Well..if you excuse us.” He then took my arm and led us off into the opposite direction, leaving the rejected lad scowling in his solitude.

If I ever had a fairy-tale moment, it was that! I looked up at the eccentrically dressed person who had saved me from the gangly boy, and I could feel myself blushing. He was wearing an excessively frilly shirt, which made me feel better about my dress. His hair was a dark brown mess of curls. When he turned to look at me, I heard him chuckle. “That was a close one, eh?” he whispered through his mask. I laughed and nodded, catching the golden glint of his eyes. “Shall we dance then?” he asked, holding out his hand for me to take. I could feel myself going crimson. I didn’t know how to. I made a noise that sounded like a cry for help, but he just laughed as he took my hand, pulling me forward.

Since I had two left feet I assumed that he would lead, but seeing him move I snorted with laughter. He danced awfully. It was so erratic. He looked wild and untameable, and I felt just the same as I started copying him, lost in the madness of it all. Everyone else danced in perfect procession whilst we bounced, turned and swayed whichever way we pleased. We received many disapproving looks but I'd never felt so alive!

Eventually we grew tired and meandered down the path surrounding the square. I felt refreshed with energy, skipping without a care. He laughed and sighed. “That was fun.” He breathed.

“The most fun I’ve had in years!” I beamed, looking up at him, very eager to see his hidden face.

“Really?” he asked in disbelief. I nodded, embarrassed. “Well this was my first dance, and I’ve got to say, other than my inexperienced dance partner, it was perfect!” he stated matter-of-factly.

“My dancing was a thousand times better than yours! You were stomping halfway through!” I laughed uncontrollably.

“Well I am skilled in contemporary dance, and the lesser experienced would not understand such techniques.” He said in a posh accent, making me burst into another fit of laughter. He looked at me for a while before scratching his head.

“Why don’t you like these dances then? They’re great! All the food you can eat, music, dancing - everything!” he exclaimed, looking at the lit up square in awe.

“Yes well, I’m not exactly a fan of dances, and the whole thing’s a bit unfair, isn’t it?” I said gesturing to the woods.

He paused, cocking his head to the side. “What do you mean?”

“Well the whole point of it is for the town to get together, and the faeris are excluded from it all. And not to mention how tantalisingly close it is to them. We’re basically rubbing it in their face!” I replied.

He shrugged his shoulders. “They’re not one of us. So what?”

I choked on the air turning around in disbelief. “Seriously? Just as I thought you were a decent guy!”

“What?!” he said defensively, throwing up his hands. “I just don’t think they should mingle with our lot, that’s all!”

I could feel myself growing angrier by the second. “They’re still people, you know!”

He thrust a finger towards the woods. “They’re dangerous! They’ve got magic and use it as a weapon!” he cried.

“Only because we give them reason to! For goodness sake, this is ridiculous. I’m leaving.” I yelled, storming towards the square.

“So I don’t even get to know your name then?” He called out from behind me.

“I don’t think you’ll be needing to!” I retorted with my arms crossed, but before I could take another step he ran up to me and put a hand on my shoulder.

“Are you sure about that?” he whispered pointing to his ears. I stared at him blankly and unamused, most of it was covered by his tousled hair. Then he pulled his mask off dramatically like how a magician reveals their trick. My mouth fell open. His face was handsomely carved, but it was his ear that drew my attention. It was pointy.

I blinked a few times but didn’t know what to say. “What – I mean how - are you here?” I said in disbelief. He laughed at my surprise and then put a finger on his smirking lips. “It’s a secret.” He whispered.

My heart beat so fast that it hurt. I know it sounds so cliche, but his eyes were mesmerising. They were a shade of honey and it gave me warmth as I became lost in them. It felt like everything else was lost in the ether, and it was just me and him.

"Now, your name?” He raised his eyebrows.

“Mia.” I replied still in a trance.

He stuck out his hand for me to shake. “Yuni.” He grinned. Another swarm of butterflies took hold of me as our hands touched. I stared at his tall physique, he was the first faeri I had actually talked to. His golden eyes flashed with excitement as he looked back at the square. “I snuck in because you’re right, they put these celebrations right under our noses and expect us not to rebel!” I took a step back from him.

“You’re not going to rebel though, are you?” I asked cautiously. He said nothing, staring at the celebrations. Then turning to me, he flashed that charming smile. “I was but now.. I’m not so sure.” He lifted my mask, and I could feel my face glowing red. Just as he was about to speak, the town bells rang, signalling the end of the night. He smiled and pointed back to the Humilis Woods. “That’s my call.” He sighed and started walking down the winding path. I could feel the special moment slipping away from me. Then, without thinking I shouted after him.

 “Will you come tomorrow?”

He looked back, thought about it and nodded. Right then and there I knew that it was in our destinies to meet. It didn't feel like chance, it felt like it was meant to be, and any other outcome of time was impossible.

We met for the next few days, sneaking away from the lively celebrations. We talked endlessly, exchanging details about our lives. He told me all sorts of things about the faeris, about how they lived and their troubles. The information was nothing that I hadn’t already guessed but it was enthralling all the same. I got to hear it from a real faeri – and a handsome one too at that.

The last day of the celebrations drew near. We sat on a behind the square, looking out into the lake. 

“I have something for you.” He said holding out his hands. I looked down eagerly, but my face dropped slightly. It was an acorn. I don’t know what I was expecting but it definitely wasn’t that.

“Oh..thank you.” I said smiling politely. Seeing my facial expression he let out a loud and boisterous laugh that echoed across the water.

“It’s more than it seems. It’s my good luck charm. I’ve had it since I was a child.”

“I’m honoured, thank you!” I said smiling, about to take it from him as he pulled it away.

“Uh-uh! I’ll give it to you when we part. It’ll be more meaningful that way. After all, we won’t see each other until next Spring Solstice.” I smiled sadly realising that the time we had was drawing to a close. I sighed deeply as I looked at the little flecks of light dancing in the ripples of the water, feeling his gaze on me.

“You know, you’re nothing like how I thought people from Hominum were.” He said softly. I smiled, looking into his honey coloured eyes that I was so used to by now.

“I’m glad.”

We stared at each other for a while and then laughed awkwardly. Suddenly, there came a noise from the bushes. We froze inspecting it nervously, but it was only a rabbit. As we were about to laugh at our anxiousness, Yuni was struck in the head by a bat. I screamed in shock as he keeled over. Snapping around I saw the thugs from the first night. The gangly one was holding a bat in a white knuckled grip.

“We’ve been watching you all week..we know what he is. He’ll be hanged tomorrow, and you’ll have the pleasure of watching.” He snarled. I tried to run to Yuni but I felt a beefy hand twisting my arm, stopping me from doing so. They ripped the mask off Yuni’s face and kicked his head, spitting on him. An awful sense of powerlessness came over me, like the air was being ripped from my lungs. They threw me into the mud and dragged Yuni to the square. Everyone recoiled to the edges of the plaza as he was dragged to the cells. Fear and disgust filled their faces as if he was a parasite. I tried running to him but I was dragged away by my father who clenched his hand over my mouth. There had been no other time in my entire life that I felt so angry and betrayed by my own people.

I couldn’t even say goodbye. I was dragged back to our house and locked inside. My father and sister didn’t say a word to me and my mother looked at me with disdain. I stared up at the star spangled sky with an ache so severe that it broke my heart. On the first night it felt like an unearthly power bound us together, but now it felt like the universe would do everything to force us apart. I don’t know how late I wept that night but I cried myself to sleep.

The dreaded morning eventually came. The bouquets had wilted and the scent of decay hung in the air. I looked out of my window towards the gallows. A terrifying drum beat played as the harbinger of doom for Yuni. My aching heart banged in my chest as my eyes grew hot with tears, but some minutes had passed before the town bells began to clang. There were cries of terror and shouting. “The prisoner has escaped! He’s vanished!” cried the guards, urging everyone to retreat into their houses. I choked on my tears in disbelief. Yuni escaped. I knew my eyes must have been exhausted by this point but I cried anyway, feeling the tension in my heart subside.

I wiped my tears away and fell on to my bed with joy. Yuni was alive. That’s all that mattered. But as I lay there I felt something hard underneath my pillow. I lifted it up and saw something that made my heart skip a beat. It was an acorn, the very same one Yuni had promised to give me. I picked it up and held it close, promising that I would keep it safe until I saw him again.

***

Mia smiled as she rolled the acorn in her hand, showing it to the little boy and girl sitting cross-legged in front of her. The little girl looked up at her in awe, but the boy seemed sceptical. “Auntie, are you sure that’s not just an acorn you picked up off the floor?”

His little sister elbowed him and pounced onto her aunt's lap. “Can I see it?” she asked. Mia handed it over and the girl held it carefully as if it was the most precious thing on earth. “Wow! Did he come back, auntie?” she asked in pure bewilderment.

“Yes, every Spring Solstice.” Mia said dreamily as she looked towards the window at the bouquets being hung on the lamp posts. “And I’m sure we’ll meet again.”

April 01, 2020 18:43

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

4 comments

Neha Dubhashi
21:55 Apr 08, 2020

Hello! I'm from the critiquing circle. I have some edits. Some minor grammatical errors; here's an example: ,it was the Spring Solstice. whereas this would be grammatically correct: --it was the Spring Solstice. At one point, you referred to a faerie as: "it was a faerie girl." Say "she was a young faerie" instead. Focus on separating your paragraphs more. You create a new paragraph when the topic of the previous one changes. Make sure the lengths of your adjacent sentences aren't similar. Otherwise, the piece may not r...

Reply

Nusa Zam
07:25 Apr 09, 2020

Thank you so much for this! The feedback you gave was really detailed and focused, I really appreciate it!! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
E.N. Holder
23:26 Apr 16, 2020

I really enjoyed this story too! It made me want to read more!

Reply

Nusa Zam
10:51 Apr 18, 2020

Aw, thank you so much! I really appreciate it! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.