Sparkla the Horse

Submitted into Contest #194 in response to: Write a story inspired by the phrase “The plot thickens.”... view prompt

1 comment

Coming of Age Drama Romance

Sparkla the Horse by Navsky (Dramatic Fable)



Part One


There once lived a pretty horse named Sparkla. She was youthful and optimistic.


One morning in the meadow, Sparkla saw a horse at a distance. His snorts and whinneys were pleasing to Sparkla. 


  "Alas! This horse is strong and quick."


The horse named Bubbles approached Sparkla sure footed.


  "Good Morning, fair princess. My eyes cannot behold your beauty. I am called Bubbles. Tell me your name?"


Sparkla stepped a leg back. "I am called Sparkla by my parents, the Wouhhados. We are all brown color."


Bubbles bowed his mane. "I am honored to meet you and wish to ask Wouhhados for your hoove in union." The moment Sparkla had waited to live was now. The two horses whinnied, hooves in the air and frollicked amongst the wildflowers.



*


Gem (Sparkla's mother): Precious daughter, soon our meal is ready. Stay with me fireside. Sit.


Sparkla: Maman, I have dancing in the meadow. Isn't tis season merry and wondrous. Here. I prepared urns of wildflowers, thistle and river water for us.


Gem looked closely at her foul. 


"Maman. I wish to unite together with a horse named Bubbles Rattabuverlagtibera."


Gem: Sparkla. You will be wed. There is rumor of a feud. Another will be your match. Never speak of Bubbles again.


Sparkla stopped off to her handmaid Botha without another word.



Part Two: At the Stables


Neels the Cook: Here àre provisions. Cheese and bread. 


Wouhaddo: You have no eggs or vegetables. Go, take and gather the items. Nooks the Horseman will not forget the eggs. 


After Wouhaddos departure, Neels, Nook and Botha sat at the table chatting.


Neels: I heard Sparkla has fallen sick in love with that handsome Bubbles.


Botha: No. Sparkla is forbidden. She cannot. Her perfect mother called Bubbles a scoundrel!


Nooks: Exactly why? Sparkla cannot choose Bubbles.


Botha's face turned red and Neels scoured: No. Bubbles is awful. A true villain. He was after the lady Gem's cousin. Sparkla now will love Lightly. 


Botha smiled contented.



Part Three: Near the Stables


Gem: Husband. Fotham has arrived. 


Wouhaddo: Fotham. Hie. Lightly has agreed to wed our daughter by end of this week without delay. 


Fotham: Sparkla wishes to marry Lightly? I will not say different…the town talks of a horse named Bubbles?


Gem took Wouhaddo's hand to calm him before speaking. "Bubbles fought with my twelfth cousin Gart`a and won. Botha speaks of his cruel and bloody nature with fear. He is loathed by many. Sparkla will never see Bubbles again."


Wouhaddo nodded, unable to utter speech without anger.


Fotham: They will be married at once. I will return soon and make arrangements with Lightly.


Wouhaddo: Good man, Fotham. Sparkla did wretched upon seeing Bubbles. Her mother's love has spared her life apart from dignity and all.



Part Four: Near the Cemetery


Lightly: Sparkla! Sparkla! I must marry her soon.


Friar Bobta: Hiie Lightly. The entire town speaks of your destiny with Sparkla. Has she agreed? 


Lightly: They announced our marriage date. Her blessed parents are anxious to see her properly wed. Before…


Friar Bobta: Before she elopes with Bubbles, perhaps?


Lightly looked pained. Excuse me Friar, I must return to the stables at once. The thought of Sparkla with that corrupt man gives me distress. Adieu!



Part Five: Sparkla speaks with her father


  "What is your ache to see me in happiness with Bubbles?"


  "Never Sparkla will this day be. Your match is Lightly. Your day to unite approaches before the new moon." In despair, Sparkla galloped around their dwelling until exhaustion.


Wouhhados: "There you are Sparkla. Galloping about from nowhere to nothing, I see! Disgraceful. Frollicking with villanous unknowns. Gossip has almost ruined our good name. Soon your union with Lightly arrives. He is unable to wait. Today, he paid visit. Even your lady-groom has spoken of his fine looks."


Sparkla shook with dread. Her lady-groom Botha, had cared for her mane all her fowl and pony days. In fact, nearby stood Botha. Hiding her jealousy. Sparkla ran to her stable, throwing herself upon the fragrant straw.


  "Alas! I cannot unite Lightly. My heart is with Bubbles!"


*


Later, under a cover of darkness, Sparkla steadied herself under an oversized black blanket. No one noticed her quiet clomps. Before midnight, she arrived at the ancient stones.


There near the stones was Friar Bobta, lantern high above his head. "Something terrible must have brought you out on a night such as tonight. Alas. I am here. The plot thickens!"


Sparkla explained her plight and then returned home quickly. Before leaving, she rambled to her grandfather's plot. The grass was overgrown with ugly plants. Her big strong teeth made short work of tidying the mound. She wept and remembered the old four legged animal. 



Part Six


Sparkla lay sleeping when Botha entered her stall. Botha was unable to awaken the sleeping beauty.


  "What a frightful day."


Botha sat nearby staring at the once magnificent brown mare.


  "Aach! Sparkla is cold and gone for certain." Botha continued her cries. Wailing in proud servitude.


Gen addressed the noise. "Your wails have awakened all. Explain." At that moment, Gen noticed her daughter's odd gaze. Her color shone pale. She cried out. Nozzling the beautiful horse gently.


  "Alas! No more Sparkla!"


Wouhhado: "Silent Spirit rests far above in solid beauty we have known."


  "Woe, woe, woe!" Gem snorted and stomped her leg.


The friar entered the stables. Hearing wails, he ran past the stalls. Gently, he held Sparkla's hoove and wept quietly.


Botha blushing crimson with dried tears: She be gone, Friar. No't to quik-en before her wedding with Lightly. Alas. A frightful day indeed. 


Friar Bobta: O! Alas! Sweet Sparkla at her moment of endurance and blessing. He released her hand resting it across her chest. Parting is such sorrow dear love. 



Part Seven


Botha moved towards the thick curtain covering Sparkla's sleeping bed.


"Lightly is waiting!" 


The great Fotham entered the scene. As the words fell from his lips - he understood and silenced.


"Where is the most beautiful mare in all the land?"


[ Off in the distance galloped Bubbles.]









April 21, 2023 01:39

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

N Navsky
01:49 Apr 21, 2023

This dramatic story is read as a play or theatre script. Follow me on Instagram@navskysdesk

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.