0 comments

General

Hey there! I am Beach (Shaile love beaches and I am a female as a matter of fact).

 

Day1

Mom gave chicken for dinner. Then she was talking to Shaile on phone and she looked tense. Dad kept his eyes glued to the television but I know he was eavesdropping on mom. He does that quite a few times and talks to me about it when mom takes her beauty nap. That night I dreamt of pouring soya sauce on that white cat, the Sharma family brought home. Would kill to see the cat turn into coal black!

 Coal in town…oh sorry my bad, Cat in town.

Day2

Mom gave pedigree for dinner and dad was stocking a whole lot of pedigree into the pantry. Is it my birthday already? Shaile had called again in the morning but was unattended to because mom left the phone at home while she and dad went shopping (definitely my birthday. I am expecting a surprise birthday party).

 After dinner I placed my nose on the glass of our aquarium and waited to the turtle (Bow down ya’ll, my pet is a turtle and his name is Turtle since I am not so good at remembering names). He dawdled up to me from the back of the conch shell. He placed his nose against the mirror looking at me. Something is wrong, he said. And then he went back to his safe place.

To say I was scared to my core would be the understatement.

Can anyone apply for DOGWATCH to watch out for the dog?

Day3

Dad gave carrots and corn rice for dinner. Shaile is back. (My birthday is going to be the talk of the town!!!!). But Shaile wasn’t happy. I could sense it. I think she failed her exams. She did once few years ago and then locked herself for a day in her room. I sat outside the door for the whole night and cursed human insanity.

The television was on and I saw man in masks and in plastic jackets. The Sharma family is gone somewhere because I don’t see white fur showing herself off in the porch (trying to seduce the onlookers which she miserably fails at). Shaile gave me a soothing brush in the evening. It’s been a long time since we caught up on things. Some girl time was necessary for me.

That night I dreamt of a mask man announcing himself on my birthday party and cutting the cake on my behalf. He took me away while my family enjoyed the cake.

I hate mask man DOGCATCHER.

Day4

Shaile gave me eggs and potato. Also she is giving me hell out of creeps. She has been radiating her failure all over the house. For all the scratching I did on the main door, she didn’t take me out for a walk. The windows are kept close. Uncle G doesn’t come to say Hello anymore.

Shaile failed BIG TIME, I guess. The people aren’t invited, the neighbors aren’t greeted, the newspaper boy is sent off and Beach isn’t taken for a walk. Shaile screwed up the family name, which is why we are distancing ourselves from the world.

And now might be the right time to realize, I miss white fur (or forget that…).

Turtle hasn’t been out since his declaration. I stare at the aquarium glass, waiting for him but he never makes an appearance. I don’t know if we are going to celebrate my birthday amidst Shaile’s offence.

Damn my life!

Day5

Mom gave pedigree. Dad’s been saying Quarantine! Quarantine! I don’t know what it means. I might have checked the dictionary but…but my paws wouldn’t allow. They aren’t made to turn the pages, you see.

Turtle came out from behind the conch shell but stayed inside his ‘assigned’ shell. My life’s been un-amusing since white fur’s departure. Shaile talked to Renee on phone and cried. I want to shout “Shaile!!! I am Beach but…You beach!!! (Oh sorry Shaile, if being a human, you can’t understand this, you rightfully failed).”

I can be the beach sometimes.

Day6

Mom gave pedigree.  I and dad talked today after I made a big fuss for not taking me out (Don’t look at me, look at the carpet). He told me we are stranded in a cloud of unhealthy germs. And it is killing people. Lots of people. And we need to stay indoors to protect ourselves and that is where 'quarantine' comes in. But dad assured me he would make a play space for me in the basement.

Shaile was talking to Renee because her grandmother is infected with a deadly disease she might not be able to fight against. So Renee cried and Shaile cried feeling her friend’s despair.

And so yeah…Shaile didn’t fail. She is here because all students are home. She didn’t fail. My guesses can go wrong sometimes, I guess. So the pedigree is for tough times. But I still hope we have a birthday bash for me.

DOGMA cleared.

 

Day7

Shaile’s been on phone for almost two hours now. Renee is having a hard time. I pray all is alright. Mom is behind Shaile trying to give a helping shoulder and she forgot to give me my food. Dad is in the basement fulfilling his promise. And he locked the door

I am hungry. Period.

Turtle’s shell kept me company for a while but my stomach’s gurgling. I nudged mom but she told me five minutes. She had been saying that for thirty minutes now. I tried the carpet show to grab attention but in vain.

So I stormed inside the kitchen, ripped a packet of dumplings and served myself. The taste was good. But dad was angry at the mess I created on the carpet and in the kitchen. And he was angry at mom for not giving me food. Mom was angry at Shaile for all the emotional baggage she is carrying. And Shaile was angry at nothing in particular and shouted at no one in particular.

Humans are getting crazy being locked in at home.

Your pets are locked too. And they don’t get to shout or curse. (The play space is unsatisfying but I'll live it up)

Hard days would come soon but I look forward to the Beach in the aftermath.

Act responsible (and don’t forget I need food).  

March 27, 2020 08:54

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.