Victim to Hero

Submitted into Contest #267 in response to: There’s been an accident — what happens next?... view prompt

0 comments

Inspirational

Sometimes blind curves on the highway and power poles become dangerous confederates. A painful experience results when one riding a motorcycle disregards a signpost warning to slow down to 35 mph to safely negotiate the next bend in the road. As a result of the impact of the Harley Davidson Sportster, the overhead wires swung to and fro until a short circuit knocked out electricity to the surrounding area. The steel frame of the Harley was twisted into a shape like a pretzel.

Andy’s face had taken the brunt of the blunt force trauma when the full-face helmet he wore yielded to the wooden post. Radiograph results revealed fractures of the mandible, maxilla, and right orbit (bone around the eyeball). However, during the transport to the hospital, Andy’s principal discomfort radiated from his hips. Perhaps the intensity of the otherwise painful facial injures had been mercifully diminished somewhat by numbness or shock. A gift from Dad, his silver Texas Longhorn steer head belt buckle survived the crash; but now appeared bent, warped, and distorted from its original shape. Andy’s lower abdomen fared worse than the belt buckle, his pelvis was fractured after having been separated at the symphysis pubis. The most noticeable agony radiated from this injury.

A resident across the street from this rural road mishap had called the California Highway Patrol who arrived with paramedics and performed the accident investigation. The officer’s hand-drawn report included the location of a pool of blood left behind at the scene. The motorcycle was towed back to the barn of Andy’s parents ranch home just a few miles away. At this time, many invited guests were still present at the house. Understand, today was the annual family round-up and barbecue. After branding and vaccinating that year’s newborn calf crop, friends, family, and neighbors shared an afternoon meal of steak, beans, bread, and salad.

As the gregarious blowout came to an end, Andy was anxious to return to his rented apartment before dark. Unfortunately, his imprudent haste on the highway had spoiled all the camaraderie shared at the homestead. Nervous mother was consoled by some remaining guests while father dutifully arrived at the nearest hospital.

Andy was in serious but stable condition. However, emergency room physicians were concerned that edema (tissue swelling) could contribute to blocking his airway. Andy refused to sign for the recommended tracheostomy. He could not envision himself breathing through a hole in his throat for the rest of his life. What Andy did not understand was that the incision, in his case, was only a temporary measure. When the danger of airway obstruction had passed, the incision would eventually close, leaving an insignificant scar. Andy’s withholding the authorization of the procedure became a moot point when father stepped in to approve the surgery.

The operation also involved an oral surgeon who was responsible to reduce the facial fractures. This was accomplished in part by wiring Andy’s mouth closed. Just yesterday, thanks to prior teen orthodontic treatment, Andy sported a perfect smile. Today, recovering in the intensive care unit, two pairs of front teeth (upper and lower) that were jarred loose in the wreck were absent. Andy’s pelvic problems were treated by having him lie on his back for many weeks in a pelvic sling, a kind of medical hammock. While situated this way in the appliance that suspended him, he would not be able to change his position in bed. About three weeks after the collision, Andy mentioned to a nurse that during this entire time he had never experienced a bowel movement. Obviously, a laxative was immediately administered to move things along. Andy’s bladder was emptied by way of a catheter.

After disagreeing with the physicians on staff about his course of treatment, along with the constant fight for his life trying to breath after pneumonia complicated his struggle, Andy became exhausted with worry. A week or so later, Andy insisted on being transferred to another private hospital. This change of scenery benefitted his recovery and enabled him to secure the services of a superior oral surgeon, Dr. Slaughter.

As Andy’s recuperation advanced, his face appeared less traumatized. After his periorbital hematoma (black eye) had diminished, he had some difficulty recognizing himself in the mirror. Hospital staff consulted with Andy’s orthodontist to determine if his dental impression molds were still available. The initial response was that six years later, they were nowhere to be found. With this in mind, Dr. Slaughter continued treatment which included surgery to further reduce the fracture around Andy’s right eye. As a “bonus” of sorts, the doctor was able to clear the blocked sinus cavities he found. That made sense, because Andy had suffered from sinusitis since his kindergarten days.

Not being able to open or close his mouth, Andy was on a hospital liquid diet. He was able to squirt the “smoothies” he was offered through the gap of his missing teeth. After about six weeks, the day came to remove the wires that closed his mouth. When Andy opened his mouth on the first day, it was like a heaven sent opportunity. At first, it seemed as though things were working like normal again, that is until he tried to place a spoon in his mouth. He found that his jaw muscles had shrunk so much that the gap he made was just barely large enough to wiggle the spoon inside! With time and exercise this discrepancy would improve, but to this day his yawns are still not as wide open as before.

Andy was soon transferred to a private room with a view of the surrounding forest. Things were looking a little brighter as the pain subsided and squirrels could be spotted running about outside. His parents only missed visiting him one day during the two months he was hospitalized. Andy’s room was at the end of the hall, so the door was normally left open. However, one day father found the door to Andy’s room shut. As he entered for his daily visit, Dad propped the door open, flipping the stop down with his cowboy boot. He and Andy both become embarrassed when the reason for the door anomaly came to light—bedridden Andy was trying to do his “business” while straddling a bedpan!

On a side note: The year following his accident, Andy returned to school. During a speech class assignment to present a “demonstration” of some sort, Andy decided to speak about “How to Survive a Stay in the Hospital”. As props he brought along a hospital bedpan and a long printout of his hospital bill. He reminded his classmates that one in the hospital needs to be on constant alert for finding staff who might possibly make a critical error. Like in Andy’s case, the time a nurse tried to administer medication meant for another patient! Laura, a fellow student, privately complimented Andy’s presentation as having been the best in class.

After two months on his back, Andy was discharged from the hospital. On the drive home home with Mom and Dad, the freeway traffic was very disconcerting for Andy! Let’s suppose all that quiet time in a hospital bed had not prepared him for reinsertion into the real, wild, crazy world on the “outside”. At the kitchen table, Andy found he required a pillow to sit on to pad his bony bottom. Due to losing substantial weight while being unable eat solid foods, his body fat percentage had taken a drastic dip. Andy also walked with a limp for a short time and found his urine flow was rather slow and forced.

A urologist attempted to expand Andy’s urethra by inserting various sized catheters during several office visits. Having had no success with such treatment, surgery improved the problem, at least to a satisfactory level, if not normal. Then still not satisfied with his physical appearance, Andy made an appointment to visit the orthodontist who treated him as a teenager. When he asked about his dental impressions, this time an assistant found them stored in an office cabinet. Andy was pleased to now have the opportunity to consult with Dr. Slaughter again, this time with the molds in hand.

After the oral surgeon compared Andy’s before and after dental structures, he determined that only another major reconstructive surgery could restore Andy’s features. Andy agreed and submitted to the complicated procedure. This included repositioning the upper and lower jaws and advancing the chin forward (medical term: osteotomies). The operation is all carried out from the inside of the mouth so that there are no visible scars. A cut is made through the gum above the teeth to gain access to the jawbones. The jaws are then cut with a small saw to allow them to be broken in a controlled manner. They are then moved into new position and held in place with small loops of wire. The gum is stitched back into place. The mouth is wired closed for six to eight weeks.

The reconstructive surgery was successful (and this time without having to undergo a tracheostomy). Determined Andy worked his way through community college and was conferred an A.A. degree in Administration of Justice. He applied for a career position at a dozen surrounding police departments until he was hired by the California Highway Patrol, the same agency that had investigated his crash. At the academy, Andy was able to complete all the physical requirements (running, jumping, obstacle course) and even graduated first in his class academically as valedictorian with badge number 10487.

Why resign to live as a “victim” when, after a lot of work and suffering, you could reach new heights as a kind of “hero”, right?


September 11, 2024 17:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.