10 comments

Contemporary Fiction

This story contains sensitive content

Author’s note: This story is a sequel to Anything but Elementary.

***Trigger Warning*** contains discussion about eating disorders

Rhett watched as Tricia pushed her food around on her plate. Every now and then she would bring a minuscule bite to her mouth.

“Tricia, stop playing with your food and eat it.” He nudged her. His lightheartedness masked his concern.

“I am eating.” Tricia said rolling her eyes. She took a forkful of food and shoved it into her mouth.   

 In contrast to Tricia, Rhett could not eat his food fast enough. He inhaled it.   

“Mmm…mmm. Mrs. Adler, you are the best cook.” He said genuinely.  

“Why, thank you dear. You are welcome to come for dinner anytime.” She responded. 

“Boy, it looks like flattery will get you everywhere.” Mr. Adler chuckled. He leaned back in his wooden chair and placed his hands on his stomach. “I’m stuffed, Martha. You’re cooking is to die for.”  

“Dinner was very good, mom, thank you.” Tricia said.

“I missed the part where you tasted it.” Rhett interjected.

Tricia gave Rhett a look of disapproval, but she did not respond verbally to him. Instead, she turned toward her mother. “May we be excused now? Rhett and I have homework to finish.”

“Very well. Clear your plates first, please.” Mrs. Adler said.

“Leave the door open.” Mr. Adler chimed in. 

“Oh, dad.” Tricia giggled.

***

They hadn’t known each other very long, but they knew each other well. Rhett had come into Tricia’s life at a pivotal moment.  A lot had happened in a year. The hospital had been her only safe haven. The moment she left its confines, she was bombarded with camera flashes and questions. Tricia had become a local celebrity overnight and it caused her to retreat into herself. A real life mean girl situation. The news outlets lapped at the chance to get a piece of the notoriety. 

At first, Tricia wanted to regain her old life. She attempted to assimilate back into her school. The looks and the glares from the other students; however, isolated her. After a few weeks, Tricia begged her parents to let her go to the other school. The atmosphere at her new school was tolerable. At her old school, Tricia got too much attention. At the new school, nobody noticed her, which was preferable. Additionally, no one at the new school blamed her for sending Claire and her gang to jail. Taking Tricia out of the past did not mean that the past had been taken out of Tricia. It still haunted her. Tricia tried desperately to rebrand herself.  Fatty Patty became Thin Tricia, but changing her appearance did nothing for her psyche. On the inside, Tricia was numb. She was void of feeling. 

The first week at the new school was a blur. The boy who sat in front of Tricia in math class was the only thing in focus. Every day she would stare at the back of his head. What drew her attention to him was not his looks, although he was a handsome young man. No, Tricia was not interested in starting a relationship after her year of hell. What she noticed about Rhett was his kindness. While most of the other 16-year old boys would pick on the weakest link, Rhett was encouraging to his fellow classmates and he complimented them instead of tearing them down. Rhett also respected his teachers. He did not play games or text people on his phone during class. The teachers had his undivided attention, and he would answer questions with sir or ma’am every time. 

The day Rhett and Tricia became friends, Tricia had been crouching down removing books from her bag and placing them into her locker. Upon standing, Tricia collapsed. Rhett had been at his locker a few lockers down. He immediately ran over to her. He helped her to a sitting position. 

“You okay?” He had said.

“Yes, I’m fine, thank you.” She had answered.

“Do you want me to walk you to the nurse?” He had asked.

“No, I’m okay.” She had said.

He offered her some water and she accepted it with a slight smile. 

“Let me at least walk you to class.”

“Okay, if you must.” Her smile grew bigger.

“I must.” He smiled back.

From that day forward, Rhett was a balm to Tricia. Her parents were certainly well meaning.  She knew they loved her, but Rhett provided the comfort she craved. He understood her. While, Tricia opened up to Rhett more than she had to others, they only talked about her past here and there. He knew what had happened, everyone did, so he didn’t force her into conversations she didn’t want to have.   

***

Tricia could not disobey her father, so she left her door open. It didn’t stop her from whisper yelling at Rhett. “Don’t do that again.”

“What?” Rhett asked, confused.

“You were teasing me about how much food I was eating.” She said.

“Well, it was more about you not eating than about how much…”

“Enough!” She stammered.

“Look, I’m sorry, Tricia, really. I’m just worried…”

“I’m done talking about it. Let’s just do our homework. Okay?” She said.

Rhett let out a sigh, but nodded. After doing their homework for some time, Tricia got up and ran to her bathroom. Rhett didn’t think much about it until he heard her retching. He was ready to run in there, but he opted to give her some privacy. She soon came back out.

“You okay?” He asked.

“Yup, all good. My stomach is just a little off.” She said.

They both knew that wasn’t true. After their spat about food though, Rhett wanted to avoid another confrontation, so he pretended too.    

***

The next day, Rhett was at his locker still ruminating about their conversation. He knew his band aid couldn’t cover all her wounds; he couldn’t fix all her brokenness. Some wounds were too deep for even him to heal. He had to try though. His thoughts were interrupted when Tricia approached him. For the millionth time that week, he looked at her with concern. Dark circles pooled under her eyes. 

“Hey Tricia, please don’t get mad at me. Have you gotten any sleep, lately?”

Surprisingly, she was honest with him. “I had a rough night last night. I had a nightmare.” 

“Was it…want to talk about it?” He offered.

“No.” 

“You know I’m here for you if you change your mind.” He said.

“I do. Thank you.” She said softly. 

Rhett gave her his arm and said, “walk you to class?”

She interlocked her arm with his and they went on their way to biology.

***

Rhett knew immediately that something was wrong when Tricia did not appear for math. Without thinking, he ran out of class and down the hall toward their lockers. He didn’t see her there. He paused, panicked. Then, he heard a commotion coming from the women’s room. He ran in unbothered about whose room it was. Tricia was passed out on the floor and two girls were staring at her. Rhett swept in dispersing the girls. He scooped her up and carried her to the nurse. Fortunately, when he placed her on the bed in the nurse’s office, she had regained consciousness. The nurse examined Tricia despite Tricia insisting that she was alright. The nurse said there was no cause for immediate concern, but she called Tricia’s parents, anyway. Rhett was grateful for that. When the Adlers arrived, the nurse told them that Tricia was probably dehydrated and to give her lots off fluids. Rhett couldn’t take it any longer.

“Is nobody going to say it?” He yelled.

Everyone looked at him, puzzled. He ran up to Tricia and wrapped his pointer finger and thumb around her wrist until they were touching.

“Look!” 

Everyone was still dumbfounded, except Tricia. She wanted to crawl into a hole, sure, but she knew what he meant. 

“With all due respect Mr. and Mrs. Adler, I am not one to comment on a woman’s weight, but can’t you see how thin she has become? Can’t you see that she doesn’t eat, or does she really fool you when she pushes food around her plate? If that’s not bad enough, whatever little bit she’s managed to eat, she pukes it up!” 

Rhett saw Tricia wince. He didn’t intend to embarrass her, but it was time everyone knew the truth. 

“Tricia, honey, is this true?” Her mother asked.

Tricia nodded. 

Rhett continued. “This isn’t the first time she has passed out either. Last time it happened, she didn’t want to come here, so I didn’t force the issue.” Rhett sat down and let out a sigh. 

“Oh, honey!” Both of Tricia’s parents ran over and wrapped their arms around their daughter. “We are very sorry we didn’t see this.”

“Mom, dad, it’s not your fault. I didn’t want you to see it. I hid it from you.” Tricia cried. “If it hadn’t been for Rhett and his big mouth…I’m ready, though.”

“We will get you all the help. We will get you the best therapist.” Her mother replied and her father nodded.

Rhett walked over to Tricia and gave her a side hug. “Just make sure that you save a little time for me and my big mouth too because I’m not going anywhere.” 

July 17, 2024 05:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

10 comments

Karen Hope
04:17 Jul 21, 2024

Rhett is more than a friend. He is like her guardian angel. She clearly had some struggles in her past. She was lucky to meet someone at her new school who accepts her and sees what her family was unable to see. Well done!

Reply

Kate Winchester
04:20 Jul 21, 2024

Thank you! I like that. I think you’re right about him being a guardian angel. 🥰

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kay Smith
17:06 Jul 19, 2024

The pressures young people, especially young women face, daily, are extraordinary! Your looks, your social status, your clothes, your taste in music, whether or not you're having sex (slut) or not having it (prude)-- This is a real issue that needs a light shone upon it. "...complimented them instead of tearing them down..." EXACTLY! Loved it!

Reply

Kate Winchester
17:16 Jul 19, 2024

I agree. Thank you!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Hannah Lynn
16:26 Jul 18, 2024

Tricia is lucky she has a good friend watching over her. He cared enough to say something.

Reply

Kate Winchester
17:58 Jul 18, 2024

I agree! Thanks for reading!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kim Olson
06:02 Jul 18, 2024

This was an excellent story. I also read the prequel. I hope you write a follow-up with a happy ending for Tricia!

Reply

Kate Winchester
10:54 Jul 18, 2024

Thank you 😊 While I think Tricia will be alright, I like your suggestion. She should get a happy ending!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
20:33 Jul 17, 2024

Saved by a friend.

Reply

Kate Winchester
20:48 Jul 17, 2024

Yes, exactly 🥰

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.