top ten things I will now do without You

Submitted into Contest #74 in response to: Write a story in the form of a top-ten list.... view prompt

9 comments

Fiction High School Friendship

1.Eat ice cream at night

Me: Did you know that ice cream tastes better at night?

You: Idiot, there’s no correlation between the two.

Me: Doesn’t matter. Everything’s better when you’re around me, but I bet you can’t find a correlation!

You: Stop saying cheesy things. You just want me to go stargazing with you, and you’re using ice cream to bribe me.

Me: Awww man, you caught me!

You: You were pretty obvious.

Me: Goddammit. I guess that’s a no then?

You: … 

You: I’ll go if you’re paying for the ice cream.

2. Make snowmen

M: Hey look! It’s snowing! Woohoo!

Y: It snowed last week too. And last month. And last year. And all the years before that.

M: C’mon! You know it never gets old! Make a snowman with me, won’t you?

Y: Alright, but only because it’s you. I still can’t believe I’m emotionally engaged to a toddler.

M: Don’t worry, once we get out of high school I’ll make sure you’re engaged for real to me!

Y: That was not my point.

M: I can’t hear you!

3. Write love letters (they’re still for you even if you can’t read them)

M: Did you get my letter?

Y: I can’t believe we actually are going to do this.

M: We’re a couple, so we should do more couple things!

Y: Do we really have to mail them to each other? We see each other everyday.

M: Yes, you do. And don’t forget to seal it with a kiss!

Y: Fine. I got your letter. Did you get mine?

4. Sing karaoke

M: TESTING...TESTING

Y: Argh, stop that! The mics obviously work!

M: Hehehe, I know. It’s gonna be worse when I actually start singing too! I’m going to choose a metal song...with lots and lots of screaming!

Y: I hate you. Quick up and choose a song.

M: I love you too!

5. Ride roller coasters

Y: I wanna go on it again!

M: No, no more! If we go again I’m gonna puke!

Y: You’re the one who wanted to come to the amusement park in the first place. I finally found something I like, and you won’t let me enjoy it?

M: Nggggh, stop making me feel guilty! I thought we were going to ride the carousel and the ferris wheel and eat cotton candy and you could win a stuffed animal for me. Not roller coaster after roller coaster!

Y: What made you think that?

M: You hate horror movies and you’re scared of heights!

Y: True. Here, I’ll make you a deal. If you win a stuffed animal for me then we won’t go on any roller coasters for the rest of the day.

M: You’re the one with good aim! And you don’t like stuffed animals either!

Y: I know. I’m just making sure you’re not getting your way.

M: I can’t believe you.

Y: You’re the one who fell in love with me. Now c’mon! Let’s go win a stuffed animal.

6. Pick wildflowers (these are for you too)

M: Hey, get off your phone! We found this great field with thousands of wildflowers and you won’t even look at them!

Y: Shush. I’m trying to do something.

M: I know that I’m supposed to be the romantic fun one and you’re the grouchy mean one, but this is taking it to a whole new level!

Y: I’m trying to be romantic. I’m searching up what type of flowers these are and their meanings. Also I’m not the grouchy mean one, and you certainly aren’t fun. You’re more...tiring.

M: You really are grouchy and mean! Besides, you don’t need to know the meaning behind the flowers. Just give them their own meaning instead of going by other people’s thoughts. You’re missing out on how pretty they look by obsessing over details!

Y: Huh. You’re right for once.

M: What do you mean “for once”?!?!

7. Eat dinner

Y: What happened? What’s the emergency?

M: I wanted to have dinner with you!

Y: You-

Y: I thought you had gotten hurt or something! You scared me!

M: Hey, hey, hey, don’t cry. I’m sorry. I won’t do that again.

Y: You scoundrel! You text me saying it’s an absolute emergency and the emergency is just takeout!

M: Not just takeout! Look, I lit a bunch of candles too!

Y: I can’t believe you.

M: Sorry again.

Y: Is it really just takeout?

M: Well, I wanted this to be a surprise, but I baked you a cake!

Y: I forgive you. Now where’s the cake?

8. Laugh

M: I know I’m funny, but I’ve never made you laugh that much before. Wait a sec...are you crying?

Y: Shut up! I am not crying! And I’ve never seen you laugh until you're curled up on the ground before either!

M: Says the one in the fetal position!

Y: Just...just stop! Stop existing! Or else I’m never gonna stop laughing! Ack, I can’t breathe!

M: AHAHAHAHA

9. Cry

M: Hi again.

Y:

M: You know. I still can’t believe this. I was gonna propose.

Y:

M: We were going to get married and have kids and grow old together.

Y:

M: We were supposed to do everything together.

Y:

M: Nngghhh. Goddammit. I’m crying again.

Y:

M: Everyone tells me it's time to move on. They keep telling me it’s been a month since the accident. They say it’s not healthy to spend all your time in front of a gravestone.

Y:

M: Here. Wildflowers and love letters. Someone keeps taking them away, but I keep putting more and more here for you. They must be getting tired of me. I wonder, did you ever get tired of me? Is that why you left me?

Y:

M: Everyone tells me that life will go on. But I don’t want life to go on. Especially if it won’t go on for you.

Y:

Y:

Y:

M: What am I going to do?

10. Live (without you)

December 25, 2020 19:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

9 comments

Auspicious Echo
19:15 Dec 25, 2020

Authors Note: I'm new to Reedsy, even though I've had this account for a while. It's been sitting there collecting dust and now I've finally written a story. It's drastically different from my usual writing style, but oh well. I think it's an alright first story. Criticism would be nice if anyone's actually reading this, and it doesn't have to be constructive. I hope I'll be more active, and maybe make a few friends.

Reply

22:00 Jan 02, 2021

Well, welcome to the posting-stories part of Reedsy! 😄😆

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Hello Echo! (Can I call you that??) This is such a great first story! Honestly, I still cannot believe that it is your first story, because I really cannot imagine a person having such a great quality story on their first trial, and on their first prompt! I do hope that you are enjoying this website and that you are having fun reading, writing, and posting stories! I came to your story because of my mails. Yes, I did. It doesn't mean that I have your gmail account saved, but meaning I got a mail from Jenn (The Wednesday Critique Circle thin...

Reply

Auspicious Echo
01:58 Jan 07, 2021

Hi! I don't mind being called Echo. Thank you for all your positivity and your feedback! To clear up one bit, I did kill off the "you" character. I tried hinting at it when "me" said this: "Everyone tells me it's time to move on. They keep telling me it’s been a month since the accident. They say it’s not healthy to spend all your time in front of a gravestone." I meant for it to imply that the "you" character died in an accident, but I can see your point. I actually didn't mean to make the "you" character annoyed at "me." In my mind, most...

Reply

Wow Echo, (thanks for letting me call you that!) thanks for clearing all that up! I am so glad you liked the comment! :) Also, I get that you wanted to kill the "you" character in the story...I guess the flowers explained it. I don't know why I didn't get it until now! =l But, thanks for taking the time to comment back! I really appreciate it! =)

Reply

Auspicious Echo
13:10 Jan 07, 2021

:D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
21:59 Jan 02, 2021

Eep! I love this story! Such a creative take on the prompt with beautiful wording. I love these vivid yet unnamed, quirky characters. Awesome job!

Reply

Auspicious Echo
23:00 Jan 02, 2021

Thank you so much!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.