0 comments

Contemporary Drama Fiction

You never thought they would make it to this anniversary. Fifty years is a long time considering. They have fought all your childhood. 

“That is how we show love. There must be some passion in the relationship.” Your dad said, to your extreme embarrassment. 

You were fifteen at the time. Now forty and married fifteen years yourself, you understand more.

You and your wife are holding this black tie event for them. She holds onto your arm as you look over the elegant room. 

“You did well, my love.” She accepts your praise and a kiss on her cheek.

“Thank you darling. They deserve it.”

You nod. It is a major milestone and will be properly celebrated. 

“They will be here soon.” You both move through the room. The guest will be arriving any moment and your wife wants to check that everything is perfect. You smile. Her care for your parents makes you feel proud.

“Emily, I love you.” She beams, her cheeks getting warm with emotions.

“Why, I love you too, Robert.”

Right at seven, the first guests start to arrive. Your parent's friends, family, and some from your dad's job, a job he has just retired from.

Your parents will arrive last. This is, after all, their surprise party.  

“The place is just lovely, Robert.” Your uncle says.

You smile. “Thank you, Uncle Bill. But this was all Emily.” 

He turns to compliment her and you greet the next person that comes up to you. The room is filling up fast and you are pleased. It seems that all who were invited, arrived. Your parents will be elated at all who have gathered to celebrate them. 

They are to arrive at 7:30, for what they presume to be an intimate dinner with just your wife, yourself, and them.

As the moment draws closer, the anticipation rises. All eyes are on the door they will be coming through. Emily takes your hand and you squeeze hers. 

“I pray they aren't too surprised. We don't want a heart attack.” Your cousin, Dan, comments.

Lovely thought, you think. I wish he hadn't brought that up.

Emily shakes her head. “It will be fine, Robert. We aren't shouting at them or having them come into a dark room.” You give her a look of thanksgiving.

The room stills as the clock ticks over to the half hour. All the small conversations still as the focus turns towards the closed door. 

It opens and you join your guests in announcing, “Happy Anniversary.” 

Your mom's eyes light up and your dad looks around and swallows hard. 

“Why Robert, what have you done?” He asks you, his eyes twinkling.

“It is your fiftieth dad and mom. Of course we threw a party.” Your wife answers. 

“How nice,” They move forward hugging and kissing their guests. Your mom gives you a tight hug and kisses Emily's cheek, “I see your hand in this, my dear.”

She laughs. “Yes. It was my pleasure.” 

The guests move around the room, enjoying the pleasure of each other's company. Those that don't know each other well, introduce themselves to each other. 

You walk to the back of the room where a stage has been set up.  With your wife, you move onto it and take the microphone. Unused to public speaking, you clear your throat nervously before speaking into it.

“Attention everyone. I want to thank y’all for coming,” wincing at the whine from the microphone, you move it farther away from you and try again, “sorry folks. I am no public speaker. Thank you for honoring George and Linda ‘s fiftieth anniversary. Dinner will be served shortly. Please everyone find a seat. Thank you once again.” You happily replace the microphone and step off the stage. 

“Who's to say you're no public speaker, Robert,” your dad pats your shoulder, “You did brilliantly.” 

“Thanks dad.” You move your parents to the guest of honor's seats. Your mom beams at you as she takes the seat you pull out for her.

“Thank you, Robert. My gentleman son.” 

They are soon surrounded by family and you and Emily take seats a bit farther away. She shrugs, knowing your intentions were to be seated closer. You smile.

“As long as our guests of honor are happy.” You pull the seat out for her. 

The tables are full of lively discussions. Your dad is regaling the table with the story of their wedding.

“I was almost late, remember dear?” 

Your mom pats his hand. “Yes my darling.” 

“Why I chose to take a train into town, that day above all others, I still can't say.” 

“I was determined to get married, one way or the other. My own dear mom had spent months designing and making my gown…” 

“It was homemade!” 

She smiles at your cousin, Sara. “Yes Sara. It was more economical, you see, to buy the fabric and have it made. So, I was determined to get married. The best man was there.” 

Your dad's oldest friend, Dan, half stands, waving to the room. “Yes, I was on time, George.” 

The room bursts out laughing.

“Well, I imagine it was a good thing I arrived when I did them, or we might be celebrating a different couple all together.” 

“Too right.” Your mom teases. They look at each other and the love in their eyes has you looking away as it feels intrusive.

“Robert, may you look at me that way when we are celebrating our fiftieth.” Emily says, resting her head against yours.

“You may count on it.” 

Dinner is served and the room grows quiet. 

After dinner, you slip off into the bathroom. Upon entering, you hear the sound of your dad's voice and Dan’s. 

“Christ man, that was way too close to the truth.” Your dad says. Something in his tone keeps you still. 

“Huh, after fifty years, don't you think it is time for the truth?”

“Absolutely not! I will die with this secret.”

“They will probably find it funny.” Dan replies.

“After all Robert and Emily have done, no way am I telling them we aren't really married.”

“It isn't like you planned this. Had the train not been late…”

“But it was. The minister couldn't wait, neither could we. After that, with her pregnant and everything, look, we should have gone ahead and married but we were in every way that counted.”

“You still are, George.”

You slip back into the party vowing never to mention what you now know.

May 14, 2024 14:33

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.