THE PRIEST AND THE COBBLER'S DAUGHTER

Submitted into Contest #76 in response to: Write a story told exclusively through dialogue.... view prompt

0 comments

Contemporary Drama Fiction

“Saleem, how long have you been running this shop selling coconuts and fruit?”

“It’s over twenty years I think. You say you’re a cop newly transferred to this place.”

“Yes. I want to hear about this place and people. You’re an old timer and I’m sure you could tell me a lot.”

“Ahead is the very steep mountain road with many twists and turns to the mountain resort. People who come in buses, cars and so on halt here to worship at that temple opposite praying for a safe journey.”

“How is business here?”

“It isn’t booming but I earn enough to make me live comfortably with my wife.”

“I was told the temple is prosperous.”

“Yes. It’s the priest Vish who manages it well. His is a long story. Sit on that stool and I’ll tell you. But first I’ve tea which I can share”

“Thanks. It’s very tasty and very hot.”

“I bring it every day in this flask.”

“I’m all ears. I’m now off duty which is why I’m not in uniform. I’ve all the time.”

“Vish is about 40. He is slim and fair and is always attired in a dhoti with a cloth covering the upper part of his body. He is my real friend though we belong to different faiths. He has told me a lot about himself. He had started work in a monastery whose head was his benefactor. The benefactor had even arranged Vish’s wedding. However Vish and wife didn’t get along and one day she committed suicide. Vish had blamed his patron for getting him married to an incompatible woman despite his learning and knowledge of horoscopy. However he continued in service at the monastery. As I had said Vish is a handsome man and one of the female devotees at the religious place set her eyes on him. When he rejected her, she was furious and launched a complaint of misbehaviour against him. Thereupon the head transferred him to manage the temple here. He lives in the house adjoining the temple. Vish is a very nice person who moves smoothly with everyone he meets. He has a very helpful nature and the laity considers him a genuinely helpful man. In short he is now almost a leader in this area with a large following. Let me pour you more tea.”

“Thank you very much. Please continue what you were saying.”

“There once stood a cobbler’s shop quite near the temple owned by one Bora who sold and repaired footwear. Working alongside him would be his daughter Aroma. Though he was dark skinned with rugged features and unkempt beard, Aroma was fair and good looking. People would wonder how Bora could’ve produced a daughter so unlike him. I’ve never seen Bora’s wife. He had told me she had died of snake bite. Aroma’s good looks caused many male eyes lusting after her including the brigand referred to as Tarzan. Once unable to tolerate a taunt from Tarzan, Aroma assaulted him with her footwear. Everyone was alarmed at this as Tarzan was known to be unforgiving. Having heard about the incident, Vish came to me to find some way to patch up in the fight between the woman and the brigand. That was because Tarzan and me had once been neighbours. However I said I couldn’t help as Tarzan was a liquor addict and was known to have murdered at least 2 people. I told Vish ‘I’m sorry I’m unable to help you even though you were good enough to lend me money for my son’s travel to Dubai on a job when all I had was an old cycle which isn’t collateral for borrowing money. Tarzan is a very bad character and he will not heed what I’ve to say.’ Vish told me he would try to speak to Tarzan but the fellow wasn’t found as he normally moved in forests and in the dark as besides the law, other rivals were wanting to kill him.”

“Someone wants to buy 2 coconuts.”

“Where was I? This interruption put me off.”

“You were telling me about Tarzan. Was Aroma only a worker, making or repairing footwear?”

“No. She had native talent for sketching and painting. It seems she had shown some of her work to Vish who said she was really gifted. He put her on to a lady artist who helped her improve.”

“I’m sorry I took you off from your narration.”

“It’s alright. Now I’ll tell you about Bora who is Aroma’s father. Bora suddenly took ill and his condition grew worse. He confided in Vish that Aroma wasn’t descended from him and that she was a waif he had rescued from a riverside. Bora died and Vish was a source of strength to Aroma who had none else to console her. Following Bora’s death, Vish arranged for Aroma to be taken into a home for abandoned women.”

“I’m late for lunch and I’m hungry. Why don’t you sell me 4 bananas? We could’ve 2 each.”

“I’ll sell you 2 bananas and you can eat them. The doc has said that I shouldn’t eat bananas as they would add some chemical in me. I don’t know how to explain.”

“Thanks. The bananas were delicious. Please continue.”

“A fortnight later came the tidings that Aroma was missing from the home in which she had been lodged. It was felt that Tarzan had abducted her. The matter was reported to the police. They started searching for Tarzan who couldn’t be found.”

“Then what happened?”

“Vish also tried to find Tarzan but with no luck. He was greatly downcast on the presumption that Tarzan could’ve killed her. However authorities at the home from which Aroma had been abducted were surprised when one day in the small hours of the morning, Aroma was back. Police again came into the picture. Based on her inputs they reached the forest hiding place where Tarzan had held her. She said “Last night, he was dead drunk when I knocked him down. I fled, but he came following me saying he would never let me go. That was the last I saw of him. Police found Tarzan’s body in the woods. He had been badly mauled by some wild beast.”

“Very interesting! What happened then?”

“Vish turned to me for advice. He had offered marriage to Aroma but she had firmly declined. He rightly considered that her refusal was due to her possibly having been violated by Tazan. Vish hadn’t touched on that aspect with her that far. He then told her that if she wouldn’t have him he would soon leave that temple and go away elsewhere to a new temple being built by a prominent millionaire.”

“How did it end?”

“A month later Aroma contacted Vish saying she was contemplating ending her life. Vish rushed to see her at the home. It seems he had said ‘I’m a widower. I’m not looking for a virgin. If you’ll accept me I’ll marry you unconditionally. I could then continue at the temple here and live in the same house with you.’”

“Fair enough! If she had turned down that offer she would be a fool.”

“She was wise. She consented. She has become a painter and her paintings are in great demand among foreign tourists who halt at the temple. Vish has redoubled his efforts to help the needy and the troubled. In fact politics wants him but he has refused and says he would faithfully work alone as a person serving the God of the temple.”

“That was a great story. Thanks for the narration, and for the tea. I’ll see you again. Bye!”

END

January 09, 2021 11:57

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.