Living Memories

Submitted into Contest #168 in response to: Make a train station an important part of your story.... view prompt

0 comments

Inspirational Historical Fiction

My deceased grandmother was sitting right there in front of me on a train station bench in New York City. The first time this happened I nearly fell backwards onto the tracks, but that was almost a year ago now. I had just moved to New York to escape my hometown and my parents. My first week here I had managed to consume more ramen than any one person should in their entire life, but it was cheap and I didn't have a job and could barely afford rent. By some miracle Mrs Jean, my current day boss, took a chance on a dirty, unwilling, and lazy girl. She gave me a job at her plant nursery, which to my great surprise did not offer plant babysitting despite what the name may imply. The first day was rough, I had never had to work a day in my life and although Mrs Jean was kind she would have nothing less than perfection for her precious plants. 

The train ride home was really when things started to change though. Right as I got off I thought I recognized someone but that couldn't be because they had been dead for five years now. I remember the funeral so vividly, in my fifteen year old mind it made absolutely no sense why so many people came to see a lifeless body. I would have much rather my last memory of my grandmother's face have been when I saw her last breathing. She was working in her garden that she loved, the warm sun caused a honey like glow on her frail and tender skin. Her eyes gave the illusion that she had a long life yet to live, filled with passion and drive. Anything she touched would thrive and that went for people too. She could make even the most pessimistic person hopeful.

I stood and stared for a while at the woman that so much resembled my grandmother. We shared an uncomfortable moment of silence just staring at one another till finally she broke the silence.

“Are you going to just stand there gaping or are you going to come say hello to your grandmother.” I didn't say a word. I didn't even breathe. In fact I didn't breath for so long my vision began to disappear. 

“Oh my dear! You look as pale as well, me.” She chuckled to herself but I could find no humor in this situation. 

“Please come sit down before you topple over.” I sat down and finally started breathing again.

“You- how- but-” I couldn't think of anything to say. I had always wished that I could see my grandmother one more time but when it was happening I wished I hadn't. 

“Poor child, you must be very confused. Well let me explain. I was living a peaceful life in the hereafter until I saw you wasting your life away! I knew I had to do something so here I am!”

This explanation gave me very little comfort. I decided that it must be a dream so I would simply play along till I woke up.

“Ah yes dear grandmother and uh what does that entail exactly?”

“By giving you powers of course!” 

I began to laugh, now I knew this must be a dream.

“Ohhh right! And what do I get? Invisibility or maybe super strength?” I mimicked shooting webs out of my wrists at the coming train along with sound effects that could have resembled mini explosions. 

My grandmother just shook her head and sighed.

“No Annabelle.” The sound of my full name made me wince. I hated it, I never understood why my parents couldn't just pick one or the other so I went by belle. My grandmother was the only one who insisted on calling me by my full name. 

“You will have the ability to speak with any of your ancestors as well as gain anyone's abilities from the past” she casually waved her hand in the air, as she usually did, and the other one was placed properly in her lap. 

“So what you’re saying is… I… can… have the skill of a ninja?!” I turned facing right at her with a child-like look in my eyes. If this was a dream I never wanted to wake up. She laughed and nodded her head.

“Yes dear, you could do that. However, here is the catch.” 

“Aww” why did there always have to be a catch? 

“Well I'm not just giving you this to have fun, it serves a purpose.” I shook my head in agreement and motioned for her to continue.

“You can only use it to help others. If you use it for your own personal gain then a grave misfortune will fall upon you.” 

I slumped on the bench and let out a grunt. 

“Well what's the fun in that?”

“To look outside your own selfish needs!” 

I rolled my eyes and looked away. That was when I noticed people had been staring at me. Giving me uneasy side glances and quickly moving past. When I turned back to face my grandma she was gone. Had I just imagined the whole thing? Well it didn't matter now, I was tired and it was late. 

On my way home I had noticed a little girl standing alone crying on the sidewalk. Despite all the warnings that were firing in my brain I stopped to speak with her. 

“Um hello. Is something wrong?” well of course something was wrong she was a child alone in a city.

“I- I can’t find my m-mommy” She then burst out into uncontrollable sobbing. I felt completely helpless at this point. I didn't know what to do when little kids cried. I never had little siblings to take care of so I did my best with what I knew.

“Well… I could help you find them.” Even I could hear the uneasiness in my voice but the little girl stopped crying and perked up. 

“Okay!” she grabbed my hand and started skipping away with me in tow. 

“I'm Lizzy by the way! What's your name?” 

“I’m Belle” I said this through a gasping breath. I guess that all the junk food I had been eating was not helping my energy levels. 

I decided the best place to take Lizzy was the police station and let them sort it out. I didn't know how much further I could go. After a quick google I found out we were about a mile away. I began to wish I had the stamina of someone I had heard about from my grandma years ago. He was the first person to break the four minute mile but what was his name… Roger… Roger Bannister! That's what it was! I began to think of his life and all that he had been through when all of a sudden I didn't feel so tired. In Fact I felt great! I began speeding up and pulling Lizzy behind me.

“Hey! Slow down!!” Lizzy whined. 

“Here, get on my back, I'll carry you.” Where had that come from? I bent down and let Lizzy climb onto my back. She couldn't have been over six which would explain her trusting nature. I didn't have siblings of my own but I know children whose nature is so pure and trusting. Though this is not always the case. 

With Lizzy on my back I began making my way down the sidewalk at a fast jog. I also felt determination that didn't seem like my own. I again was reminded of Roger Bannister and began to recount his story to Lizzy as we went. I couldn't remember all of it but I told it to her the best I could. When we reached our destination the officers assured me that they would find her parents. I stayed to offer any assistance I could. Mostly I just sat and told Lizzy stories that my grandmother had told me as a child. Finally her parents were found and they were reunited. They all thanked me and for the first time in a long time I genuinely felt happy. I decided there and then that that's what I would do. Help those I could and keep the memories of fallen heroes alive. Including my grandmother. I still see her every once in a while at that train station. When I do I tell her my stories and she gives me more stories to share. Their stories saved me and countless others, both in their time and in mine. 

October 21, 2022 20:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.