0 comments

Contemporary Drama Sad


Eve cannot fathom how much the world has changed. Two years ago, everything felt normal, two years later, after a deadly virus breakout and severe lockdown on several occasions, everything seems strange. People look different, rules and regulations are strict, store policies and basic activities are unfamiliar. The pandemic is over, but its residue still remains. It’s as if we are still experiencing the lockdown. Somehow, she feels that these side effects will last a very long time, reminding everyone of this deadly, unforgiving virus.


Eve couldn’t resume her normal activities, it didn’t feel the same anymore. She had been inside her house for so long that she had forgotten what the world looked like. She had forgotten how her corner shops and grocery stores looked like. As a matter of fact, she even forgot how people looked like, I know it sounds unrealistic, just like a national pandemic and virus. She walks towards her grocery store, only to see a queue outside with people wearing face-covering and huge hand sanitiser containers outside. Two years ago, this wasn’t a thing, I’m pretty sure people didn’t even buy hand sanitisers, and now, they are sold out in every store. Unfortunately, stores have increased the prices for certain items, understandably to increase profits, yet, problematic for customers as they have to pay a higher price. To add fuel to the fire, people find it harder to afford these items as they do not have a job. Therefore, businesses increase the price to increase the economy, however, citizens struggle to make needs met.


Furthermore, people never used to wait outside stores, everyone would rush in and the area would be crammed. Transported such as buses and trains were occupied completely, people would be breathing down your neck, they were uncomfortable journeys. But, now there are limited passengers allowed to enter transports.


Eve continues her day as normal, she decided to go see her friends whom she hasn’t met in a year, they have a lot of catching up to do. As eve is conversing with her mates, she wondered what she would talk about and surprisingly the first question asked was ‘How was lockdown?’

It’s concerning and weird that such a question is a conversation opener. Eve couldn’t believe that she had to answer this question. What was she expected to say? ‘It was good,’ or ‘I had fun,’ that would be a huge lie. She was glad it was over but shocked that this is the topic they are discussing. After so long, this is the greeting she is welcomed to. Regardless, she continued the chattering and is content that she joined her mates. Moreover, she missed going out, she hadn’t been anywhere during the lockdown, evidently, and now she had no new tales to narrate to her friends. It was a boring conversation and they preferred sitting in silence. Eve wondered when she will have an enjoyable conversation with her mates, something that isn’t about the pandemic.


She cannot decide if she will ever move on from this, can she move on? 


Eve read articles, social media updates and saw the news on the number of businesses that have shut down due to bankruptcy. The pandemic reduced the economy drastically which meant businesses couldn’t survive, hence, small companies had to shut down. It’s outrageous that such things occur, people have dreams and wishes to fulfill yet they can't because of this virus. Alongside this, plenty of employees have been fired or been told that they can't be given a salary as the economy has dropped. This means that a high percentage of workers are now at home without a job, potentially looking for a new job in such critical conditions whereby jobs are not guaranteed. As a result, citizens are unable to provide for their families, meeting necessities is also difficult. This has been the main factor that has been harmed by this pandemic and it arises questions about when people's lives can go back to normal. It further questions if people can find new jobs so that they can start earning to provide for themselves and for their families. Even as the lockdown is over, people still haven't found jobs, businesses are still closed and it looks like the effects are still in place.


Eve believed that the new normal is never going to be normal until a very long time. This experience may have taught people one thing which is to never take things for granted such as basic necessities, spending time with loved ones, enjoying life, and going out. This pandemic has taught her to take things more seriously and to love and appreciate everything she has. It also shows that anything can happen at any time without preparation, and without knowing how deadly viruses can be.


As stated above, things won't be normal, people will have to build their lives from scratch. Several people who have lost their jobs or homes will have to work extra hard to earn the money to build themselves up again. Life is going to be tougher than it used to be, for everyone. 


One of the most heartbreaking repercussions caused by the pandemic was losing loved ones. Statistically, over a million deaths occurred nationally due to covid-19. It is beyond upsetting for the families who have lost their loved ones to this deadly virus. This is something that will haunt and remain with people for life, as they can never meet or see their deceased loved ones. 


Due to the pandemic, Eve missed a whole year and a half of her life. This is her twenties, the years that she is supposed to have the time of her life. However, this pandemic has taken some of her time that no matter what she will never get back. Things can never be the same, but she still has hope that everyone can overcome the effects left behind. This experience has opened a lot of eyes to see the reality that life is short so do what you love, follow your dreams, listen to your heart because you never know what the future holds, it's now or never.


March 10, 2021 15:47

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.