3 comments

General

The altar was set with light cream draping and flowers. Sunlight gave the elegant room a sweet shine. The groom stood and waited to marry the love of his life. Family and loved ones sat in the pews for the bride. Music played and the crowd stood. First was the bridesmaids in long pretty gowns, gliding down the aisle with their handsomely sharp best men. Then when the aisle was clear the bride appeared. Her glow was blinding, her hair that laid flawlessly, the dress emphasized her stunning body. She was perfect.


After the priest said his blessings it was time for vows. The groom was first and he took out his vows from his pocket and began. "Lillian, you are the love of my life and the smartest woman I know. I can't wait to someday catch up. There are no words to say how valued, and cared for you make me feel. Hell, you can even make frog dissections romantic somehow" After a pause, the bride and groom laughed reminiscently. "Lillian I want to shape your life just as bright as you made mine. I love you."


Now it was the bride's turn as she held back her tears she began, "Mark I'm glad I let you copy my homework in our senior year. I watched you grow to become my husband, my soulmate. You gave me confidence and encouragement from the time we met. When I fell you caught me. When I was sad you were there. All you needed to do, was just be there. You being here is better than anything I could imagine. I'm ready to share my life with you, Mark."


"Now you may kiss your bride!" The priest announced and the new husband and wife did just that. Everyone cheered and showered petals on the couple. The only one in the pews who didn't was the father of the bride. He glared at his son-in-law with hatred. His stare burned into Mark and Mark found himself staring back. Nothing was said; but, a lot was heard. Lillian dragged Mark away to their reception unaware.


There were gifts, white flowers, lavish decor, and in the center was a towering cake. The cake was garnished with crystals and trimmed with candy DNA strands. A playful nod to Lillian's biology background. The reception was going without a hitch. Mark and Lillian's love radiated throughout. But the father of the bride was still boiling. He went up to Mark and his daughter with a fake smile and perkily asked, "Mind if I steal your groom?" Lillian's father squeezed Mark's shoulder tightly, tugging him to his side. "Sure thing dad, have him back soon." Smiled Lillian and pecked Mark on the cheek.


As Mark and the father-in-law walked outside the atmosphere turned hostile. The father-in-law grabbed Mark by his collar and pinned him to the wall. "You stay away from my daughter you cur! You make me sick!" Mark shoved him back and took a deep breath. "Ken, dad, I love your daughter as much as you. I know I don't have much, I just love your daughter. I know I'm not a billionaire scientist, nor will I ever become one. But I'm not going to take this abuse from you!" Ken's fists balled up, his teeth clenched. "You don't love her! You are not my son and I'm Kennedy, no, Mr. Parkson to you! You're not going to take this abuse? You're not going to take this abuse! Why did my baby girl have to take it then!"


Mark: "What are you talking about, I'd never hurt her!

You're the one hurting her you selfish prude! Are you

trying to say I abuse Lillian? I'm gonna give her a better life

than you could ever give her with your wealth. Stop lying!

Get away from us!"


Kennedy: "It's money you want right? I'll pay you whatever you

want. All you need to do is take your greedy, self-serving, vicious person

out of Alberta! Now!"


Mark: "You think you can just buy me off? There is no amount of

money that will make me divorce Lillian. Look at yourself! You

are paying me to break your daughter's heart!"


Kennedy: "Not even for $8,000,000?"


Mark: "What the hell is wrong with you."


Kennedy: "It's always the same with you. I tell you to stay away and leave

my daughter but you keep creeping back! It'll never change

no matter how many times I try to save my daughter from

you. I have no choice so I'll ask again. Leave my daughter

alone! She deserves better. I will not let her settle for

someone who'll treat her like shit! My daughter is not shit!"


Mark: "I'm! Not! Divorcing! Her! Go and sit on your hateful ass and watch! She is mine now, I can do what I want with her. Lillian is a woman, and now she's

my wife too. That means she'll cook for me, clean for

me, work for me, fuck me whenever I want. She'll forget you. I'm her daddy now. Take that silver spoon out of your ass and accept it."


Mark's manner shifted from the altar, revealing his dark nature. Kennedy knew what he had to do. It was the only way. He drew a small handgun that was tucked in the back of his belt. Mark's eyes widened staring down the barrel. His confidence dropped like the blood from his face. Putting his arms up in the air he started negotiating. "Take it easy now Ken, Kennedy, Mr. Parkson, sir. I get you don't like me but this is a little too far. Put the gun down Kennedy. What if Lillian sees us like this. I'll leave her, after the wedding I'll divorce her. You'll never see me again, put it down."


Kennedy just shook his head, "The last time I pointed a gun at you and let you walk you told everyone what I did. I was charged and you, later on, killed my Lillian." He cocked the gun and steadied his hand. "Wait! What the fuck are you talking about! The Last time you pointed a gun at me? I killed Lillian? You're out of your mind! Lillian! Lillian! Anybody!" Cried, Mark as he frantically looked for an escape that wasn't death.


Kennedy started confessing to Mark, "This isn't our first time here you know. In the future, you killed Lillian and collected $8,000,000 insurance! When you kicked her head in with your dirty boot, she bled out! It took years for the police to find out you butchered her! Prison wasn't good enough for you, parole was a joke to you. I was stuck thinking of what I could have done. How I could have saved my baby girl from you. So I built a time machine, it was a tool to save my Lillian. I succeeded. I even won a Nobel Prize, but it didn't matter. Each time I spared you it ended in failure, and the death of Lillian. I kept sparing you because that was what Lillian would have wanted. However; after sixty-plus tries, sixty-plus funerals, you have to die. There is no choice anymore!" Mark screamed and dashed for help. Bang! Bang! Bang!


Pain shot through Mark's body as he hit the ground. His breath was barely hanging on. Heat spread from his wounds and paralyzed him. The taste of blood grew in his mouth choking him. The pain started to fade and so did his sight. He was gone. The echo of the music stopped and the guest started gathering. "Oh my God! Kennedy!" "What happened?" "Call 9-1-1!" The guest's panic was muted in Kennedy's mind. Looking back to see in the crowd his horrified daughter's face. Her makeup draining, her glow faded, she could only mouth why to her father. He staggered to Lillian who was frozen in fear and hugged her tightly. "You are safe now." Kennedy comforted and stroked his daughter's hair for the last time.







July 11, 2020 23:34

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

M J
13:48 Jul 19, 2020

Wow, Emily. That plot twist had me reeling. It was so unexpected! The only thing that I would recommend changing would be your sentence structures. For example, this sentence "Sure thing dad, have him back soon." Smiled Lillian and pecked Mark on the cheek." should be written "Sure thing dad, have him back soon," smiled Lillian as she pecked Mark on the cheek. Then again, I am a novice writer, so take my advice with a grain of salt. Can't wait to read more from you!

Reply

Emily B.
05:17 Jul 20, 2020

Thanks for the advice it's really helpful. It doesn't need any salt LOL.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
P. Jean
20:35 Jul 16, 2020

I think I liked it! I’m not sure. The only one who ever sees Mark being bad is the father! Is Mark bad? Is the father delusional? Is there a time machine? Many ways to go. Keep writing!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.