0 comments

Fiction Drama Fantasy

It won’t be surprising if you didn’t recognize Rubi Isle. It isn’t on earth but is on planet tellus – earth’s twin planet about 800 years younger, evolving. Among its citizens was the woman Chili, who was 18, a good-looker with an even greater body. You wouldn’t believe it if told she was mother of a two year old son. She had enough encumbrances and so let the little fellow in the care of her mother who lived some distance away. Chili lived with her husband Zeq a very wealthy ex-soldier thrice her age. Zeq was a recluse who mostly stayed home whereas Chili would go out for purchases beside social intercourse due to which she was better known.

That day Chili walked into the bar owned by her friend Rima.

Rima said “You’re early but welcome. The bar hasn’t yet opened for the day.”

“Doesn’t matter. I’ve come to you for help with a problem.”

Rima was known to advice women who came to her with problems. She was 25 and was married to a man who dealt in firewood. Looking at Chili Rima said to herself “She has a splendid figure. Though she had borne a child her little hillocks of nature are still outstanding. Whereas mine, though I haven’t produced children hang down poking at my knees. I’m ashamed.”

Rima said “Sit down and tell me.”

“You’ve known me well and I’ve often confided in you.”

Rima said within herself “You have. You’re very rich. You’ve a husband who is much older. As you’ve said to me God always amuses Himself by giving nuts to the toothless! But you had an affair with Rodz and produced the child.”

Rima said “I’m listening.”

“Keep it very confidential. I’m thinking of divorcing my husband but then I won’t inherit his wealth.”

“Go to mediator Escro. He knows all the laws and will advise you.”

Chili said “That is a good suggestion. I hadn’t thought of it.”

Rima was overjoyed to hear what Chili had said. The bar owner was a great gossip and would share the news with select friends!

The following day Chili was with Escro who held a high office.

Chili said “I’ve an aged husband. If I divorced him I won’t inherit his wealth. I’ve come to seek advice.”

His fee paid, he thought a little and said “There is a provision in law that says that if a woman isn’t satisfied with the husband she can divorce him and will be entitled to half the husband’s wealth.”

“I want all his wealth.”

“Then get rid of your husband! Go to witch Wizma and she can give you something to mix in your husband’s food and he will be gone. All his wealth will be yours.”

“Suppose he has willed it to someone else? How will I know?”

Escro consulted some papers and said “Fez usually witnesses wills for a fee. Ask him.”

“I know Fez. Thanks.”

Chili then went and met witch Wizma – a middle-aged woman said to have vast knowledge of stellar movements and their effect on mortals.

Wizma said “I would’ve come to your place if you had summoned me.”

“Doesn’t matter. My husband consults you. I’ve brought you the usual fee. Tell me if Zeq has said anything to you regarding making his will.”

“No. It’s a long time since he consulted me.”

”It will be no secret to tell you that he is too old to please me in bed. I want a change of husband. Perhaps you’ve some potion to achieve that end.”

“Madam, that is something I won’t approve of.”

“What else can be done?”

Wizma thought a bit and said “Lady, I’ve the power to cast a reverse spell over your husband. He would then fall out of love for you.”

“How fast will it act? I’m also aging.”

“Spells have to be cast over time. It could take weeks to have effect.” She thought a bit and said “Why don’t you seek the advice of Godman who is growing to be very popular?”

Chili gave Wizma her fee and said “I’ll take your suggestion though I feel Godman won’t be of any help.”

Chili knew that a Godman had established himself in the outskirts. He was helping the poor, feeding and educating them. He had set up a hostel for the homeless and was giving lectures on reaching God which proved very popular. But on second thoughts she dropped the idea of consulting Godman.

 Chili reached home and while talking to her husband said “I hear good things are being said by and about  Godman.”

“I’ve also heard of him. In fact I’ve been thinking of meeting him.”

Chili was frustrated as she was longing for the embraces of Rodz who had made her a mother and was waiting to marry her.

She met Rodz in secret and said “You’ve given me a child but I long to be with you always. Why don’t you take the initiative and get rid of Zeq?”

“Let me think it over.”

Four months passed and Chili found there was no progress in what she had sought. She decided to consult her mother. Hearing of her desire to visit her mother, Zeq said “I’ve a friend - also an ex-soldier - living not far from where your mother lives. I’ll go with you and see him also.”

The coach journey for three hours plus was arranged. The plan was to temporarily pause at Chili’s mother’s place and then he would proceed to meet his old colleague. Coming back he would pick her up. But Zeq came back a corpse. Chili was given the news: Zeq had gone to a bar after meeting his friend. There he had picked up a quarrel with a known bad character and was challenged to a duel. Zeq was killed and his assailant had escaped. Chili considered it good news though she went through the usual lamentation for her husband.

After the funeral Chili accessed her husband’s will. She was surprised to find that he had willed away all his wealth to Godman of whom he had become a follower. However he had thoughtfully enclosed a small note to her: ‘I came to know from Escro and Fez who have registered this will about your anxiety to inherit from me. I also heard about your liaison with Rodz through gossip spread by your friend Rima.’

Chili was stunned at the outcome. She was saddened when she heard that Rodz hearing she wouldn’t inherit, had found another girl to marry. She felt the advice and doings of many including herself were to blame for all that had happened like too many cooks spoiling the broth!

 END

September 05, 2022 03:44

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.