0 comments

Fiction Historical Fiction

Paris 1944

Paris is a city of dreams, but in 1944 Paris is a city being rebuilt. When the war ended Paris is a city devastated. Buildings are in ruins, the streets are lined with debris, but there is one building that stands tall and that is the Paris building.

The Paris building is a magnificent building in the heart of Paris. It stands as the tallest residential building in Paris. Many families live in the Paris building and they all love it. Neighbors are kind to each other. Kids are friendly towards each other. They play together in the playground. The kids even go explore the Paris building.

One girl who lives in the Paris building is twelve year old Madelyn. Madelyn loves to explore the Paris building. She finds the building to be a place of wonder. Madelyn goes all over the Paris building in search of treasure. She goes into every nook and cranny in hopes of finding treasure. This is the first time in four years Madelyn got to do any exploring.

Madelyn couldn't do a lot of exploring during the war. Her parents kept her inside their apartment for fear Madelyn would go missing, but that didn't stop Madelyn from sneaking out and exploring.

Madelyn would sneak out of her apartment while her parents are working. She would go to her hiding place she found in the back of the building. The hiding place Madelyn found is behind an old door. Madelyn opens the door, a swoosh of air hits her in the face. Madelyn coughs, then she looks inside and sees it's dark.

Madelyn walks inside. It's dark, creepy and cold behind the door, but as she continues to walk Madelyn hears noises. She sees light and an arching stairway. Madelyn looks up and down. Madelyn decides to go up and follow the noises.

Madelyn goes up the stairs very carefully so as not to make any nosies. Madelyn reaches another door. This door opens easily. Madelyn opens the door. She sees light and hears people talking loudly. Madelyn moves to an open spot in the room. She sits down and hears the people talking. Madelyn sees who the people are and

she knows who they are. The people talking are her parents closes friends and what she hears them talking about shocks Madelyn.

Madelyn listens to what they say very attentively for hours. She hears them talking about hiding Jews and fighting the Nazis. Madelyn gets scared. She hopes her parents are not involved.

When Madelyn finishes hearing her parents friends speaking she goes back to her apartment and writes everything she heard in her journal. Madelyn continues to go to her hiding place everyday when her parents go to work, then one day Madelyn stops going to her hiding place because no one is there to listen to.

Madelyn explores the rest of the Paris building through out the war. She goes to different places. Madelyn goes to the basement, the roof and the playground until her parents stop her from exploring.

The war is over. Paris has been liberated and Madelyn is free once again to explore the Paris building. Madelyn goes to her hiding place she discovered four years ago.

Madelyn goes back to the old door. She opens it and a swoosh of air hits Madelyn in the face. Madelyn goes up the stairs just like she didd four years ago. Madelyn wants to see if her parents friends are in their apartment.

Madelyn carefully goes up the stairs until she reaches the same door. She opens it, and once again she sees light and hears noises, but this time Madelyn doesn't recognize the voices. Madelyn moves to an open spot in the room and sees the people are not her parent's friends. Madelyn wonders what happened to them. Madelyn goes back to her apartment and writes down in her journal what she found.

Madelyn continues to explore the Paris building. She finds many more hiding places and many more people to spy on. Some of the people are new and some of the people are those she calls friends.

Paris 2021

The Paris building still stands as the tallest residential building in modern day Paris. Madelyn's great grandchildren grew up in the Paris building, and just like their great grandmother, they love to explore all the secret hiding places.

While looking through their great grandmother's belongings, they come across a journal that says Madelyn's treasure journal. Olivia and Emma open the journal and begin to read.

Olivia and Emma realize they are just like their great grandmother who loved to explore. Olivia and Emma read the entire journal. They never realized the Paris building holds so many secrets. Olivia and Emma decide to follow in their great grandmother's footsteps. They are going to explore the Paris building.

Olivia and Emma get up early the next morning. They eat breakfast then they grab the journal and head out on their adventure. Olivia and Emma begin where their great grandmother Madelyn begin her adventure.

Olivia and Emma exit their apartment. They took a right turn and walk to where the hidden door is located, just like Madelyn did. Olivia and Emma find the door. Olivia attempts to open the door by herself, but the door doesn't open. Olivia asks Emma to help her.

Olivia and Emma together open the door. A swoosh of air hits both of them. Olivia peeks in first. It's dark. There are no lights. Olivia looks at Emma and tells her "we need a flash light." Emma races back to their apartment in search of a flash light.

Emma came back with the flash light and handed it to Olivia. Olivia took the flash light, turned it on and aimed it at the door. Olivia opens the door and aims the flash light inside. Olivia saw that it was all cleared.

Olivia grabbed Emma's hand and guided the both of them inside. Olivia pointed the flash light further down. She saw stairs. Olivia and Emma walked to the stairs. They stopped at the foot of the stairs. Olivia takes out the journal and reads it. The journal says that Madelyn went up the stairs. So Olivia and Emma go up the stairs.

While they are going up the stairs Olivia and Emma hear voices and see lights. Olivia and Emma stop when they reach the top of the stairs. They turn left upon hearing voices. Olivia and Emma walk to an open spot in the room, they sit and listen to the people. Olivia and Emma recognize the people. It's the parents of their best friend Sophia

Olivia and Emma listen to the conversation they have for ten minutes. Olivia and Emma giggle every time they hear something funny then they move on to another part of the Paris building.

Olivia and Emma continue to explore the Paris building even making a few discoveries of their own. Olivia and Emma write in their great grandmother's journal all of the new discoveries they make. Olivia and Emma hope to make Madelyn proud.

March 16, 2021 20:42

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.