Issues with blending in

Submitted into Contest #92 in response to: Write about a character who thinks they have a sun allergy.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Mystery Teens & Young Adult

Issues with blending in

A teen boy called David Morse was walking down the streets of a village he was visiting. He would try to take walks in the moonlight and avoid the daytime.

He knew he struggled to be in the sunlight for long periods as his skin would start to slowly blister as a result.

He remembered going to the village's local pub Flannigan Arms once before and was deciding to visit again. The last time he was there three of his 'uncles' had embarrassed him by making inappropriate comments towards a young female server. 

David had apologised on their behalf as the servers outraged family members chased them out of the pub.

He was nervous about entering the facility since that incident. Although the server had left her contact details for him and he had recently been texting her. He got to the door of the pub around 7 pm just as it was getting dark.

When he entered, a man greeted him. He seemed a bit apprehensive. "Are you here alone, or are those nasty men around? The ones who perved on my niece?!" He said, concerned for Ambers safety. David shook his head, "I do not condone their awful behaviour. I am so sorry they behaved that way towards your niece, I didn't get a chance to apologise in person. Also, I didn't get a chance to finish that drink she served. I wasn't so sure if I could stomach it let alone it felt like my thirst was satisfied. What was it?" He asked? Toby Flannigan smirked, "well thanks to Amber's quick thinking, she had gathered some tea which is infused with human blood," he said bluntly. His eyes also went silver while Davida we're a deep red. "You look like you could need more, and Amber should be here soon," the 38-year-old man smirked. He knew despite David looking in his mid to late teens, he was over one hundred years old.

He looked at Toby, "so you know what I am?" He asked, Toby, nodded. "You would be surprised how many non-humans enter my father's pub, there's one in particular, who always stops for lunch. She just happens to be my mother," he smirked. David was curious and wanted to know more, "so you could sense that I'm not human, are you also non-human. I noticed your eyes are not like typical humans," he questioned Toby. The pub heir was happy to explain things. "I'm technically what they call a hybrid. My father is human and my mother is a Grim Reaper. They are married and I'm their biological child along with my sister. She has two daughters and I have a daughter. And my dad is used to serving non-humans especially as my mum has an 'interesting' work and social life," he smiled.

David was astonished, "it's not easy trying to blend in with human society. It's like being stuck in limbo in some ways. And until now the only people that knew of me or can relate are an embarrassment to vampires everywhere," he said. Toby agreed, "I can tell by your being that you are not like that, so no worries I wouldn't tar you with the same brush. I just had to make sure those creeps stayed the hell away from Amber. Or she would either have gotten herself killed or suspended for using her scythe on someone who isn't dying," he said.

Amber walked through the door, she noticed David and she seemed happy. "Hello there David, I can make you more plasma infused tea," she smiled pleasantly. He smiled. "So she's also a Grim Reaper," he asked, she smirked "well I figured my uncle couldn't keep his gob shut, also I'm sure you are a blood consumer that's why I gave your table those plasma samples," she said. He was amazed at the teen girl's knowledge and professionalism. 

Toby laughed, "we Flannigan's and Bates' take hospitality to a new level," he smirked as Amber got the 'non-human' collection out and found the 'plasma tea' as she called It.

"We are used to using code words around humans, apart from my dad and grandad. My grandma is a carer and she deals with palliative care. So she can blend in while helping people," she smiled. 

David scratched his hand, as he still had red markings from being in the sun for a couple of hours. Amber noticed, "I am assuming you are a vampiric subtype that struggles with the sun. I know some don't, some can die from it and some glisten. Yours looks like it's uncomfortable but not lethal," she said. He nodded, "yeah that's why I usually go out on a night," he said. The teen girl thought of something, "the local mortician is also nonhuman. I am sure he has something that will help in this box," she smiled. 

Amber checked out the velvet purple case. She noticed there were different teas and potions. She noticed an ingredient used to make 'reaper brew' which would make a Grim Reaper feel like they were drunk but was potentially lethal to humans, "I'll take this for my grandmother," she smirked, placing it in her pocket. She then noticed a herbal tea that could build up a 'photosensitive non-humans' tolerance to sunlight. There was also an ointment to treat the damage and to block the effects of the sun. It was a very advanced version of your regular human sun cream.

"I'm sure he won't mind us using this, if not then I'm sure my grandma will take the heat. No pun intended," the teen smirked.

David smiled, "I can't even give you 5 stars for your service, because you deserve even more than that, thank you very much!" He was amazed by how kind and intelligent the uncle and niece were.

Amber nodded, "no problem. Feel free to have as much plasma tea as you want and you are welcome here anytime. Just not those crazy blokes you were with before, yuck! No offence," the teen wrinkled her nose. David agreed, "I agree, I'm ashamed to know them," he gagged.

Amber sat near David as Toby got back into the kitchen. They then continued to dine and chat.

May 03, 2021 21:58

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.