0 comments

Teens & Young Adult

The rain beats gently against the window. The soft lamp shares its light around the room. Olive was sitting down in her cozy rocking chair, looking at her story. She was sitting next to the window, looking at the cars driving. the bright light of the city shines right in front of her. Olive has been working on her story all day long.

Olive loved writing ever since she was a little girl. Her dad would always look at her writings every time she brought them to her. Olive had a passion for writing ever since she read her favorite author’s book. Her name was Jade Bloom and she was the same age as Olive. Jade wrote many novels at the age of five.

She would always emulate her writings, copying everything she wrote but most of the time, she’s making up her own stories.

Olive thought about those memories. She looked at her computer, thinking about what to write. She was thinking of her last sentence.

Her husband Miles came back from their daughter’s room. They have a young daughter named Lily. Miles was reading her a bedtime story for her to go to bed.

He wrapped his dark arms around Olive “Are you finished with your story,” He asked. “I would love to read it when you publish it.”

Olive turned her head and kissed his cheeks. “I’m on my last sentence.”

She thought of her last sentence, not sure what to write.

Miles grabbed a chair and sat beside her. “Are you still writing about that teenage stuff?” He asked.

Olive turned to him, a smile placed on her face. “Yea, I’m on my last sentence.”

Miles paused for a minute. “Let me see the computer for a moment,” He whispered. “I’m going to read it so I can help you with your book.” Olive took the computer and handed it to him.

Miles took the computer from her hand and started to read it. This is how the end of the story starts with:

It has been a year since he died. I sat down on the soft sand that’s being swiped away by the gentle waves. It reminds me of the day when we were playing around on the beach, being normal teenagers. The day we were happy and the skies were bright and sunny.

Now, the skies are gloomy and everything around me is depressing and sad. I can’t stop thinking about all the fun we had. Today, I am by the same beach we would hang out together.

Miles glanced at her. “Honey, this is pretty dark and heartbroken.” With a smile, Olive looked at her husband. “I know! I was pretty sad today.”

Miles looked at his wife, his eyes wide opened. “And why were you sad today?” Olive hung her head. “I feel like I’m not good enough.”

Miles sighed and put his hands on his wife’s cheeks. “You’re not a bad writer,” he murmured. “Who is telling you these things? You’re not a bad writer.”

Olive puts her hands in his. “I have really bad anxiety.” Miles puts his hands down. “Look outside.”

Olive turned her head at the window. The rain has stopped. “What about it?”

Miles held her hands tight. “Do you think anyone driving those cars at night is nervous?” He asked.

Olive raised an eyebrow. “No, why are you asking?” Miles gazed into her soft hazel eyes. “Because, they are not worrying about what is going to happen to them.”

“Okay,” Olive questioned. “What does this have to do about writing?”

Miles let go of her hands. “Don’t take this the rude way but, all you do is worry,” He told her. “I don’t want you to worry about anything.”

Olive was ashamed of her behavior. “I’m sorry.”

“When we are finished writing your story, we are going for a little walk,” Miles announced. “I want you to breathe and relax.”

Olive turned to her computer. “Okay then, we should finish this now so we can go,” She thought long and hard, trying to make it sound great. She reread it again to understand the story.

After a couple of minutes, an idea popped in her head. “I remember when you would pull me close to you and kiss me on the lips. I remember the fussing and the arguments. But no matter what, we always stay together, side by side and until I die, I will forever keep that promise.” Olive quoted.

Miles’ eyes were glowing. “Wow,” he uttered. “That’s actually really good, honey!” Olive typed in everything she said, word by word.

“For once in my life, I am finished.” She says. “Now all I need to do is export the book and I’m good to go.”

She is a self published author who publishes her books on her own. Nova made her own cover. The book she is making is called “Dying Summers.”

Miles had a lighthearted smile. “I’m proud of you. Did you publish it yet?”

Olive’s eyes were locked on the computer, trying to publish her book. Miles leans over to her. His dark eyes shimmering through the light.

“Honey,” He mutters. “Is everything alright?’

Olive turned to him slowly. “I just published my book.”

Miles stood up with his hands on his hips, stretching. “Are you ready for this lovely walk together?” He asked.

Olive gave her a rewarding smile. “Whenever you are ready.”

She got up from her chair. “We should check to see if Lily is up.”

Together, the two of them tipped toe to her room. “Are we really going to leave her here in the house alone?” Olive wondered.

“She will be okay,” Miles promised. “Besides, it’s not going to be that long. We’re just taking a short walk.”

The two pairs walked out the door, hand in hand. Everywhere they walked, they saw pole lamps outside, shining its light like the bright moon above them.

Everything about the city was bright. The skies looked like it was almost morning. The two lovebirds were still holding hands together.

Miles gazed into her eyes. “I want the best for you.”

Olive looked into his brown eyes. “And I want the best for you too.” She whispered.

They sat down next to a wooden bench with a pile of leaves and rain covered on it. A small tree was behind them.

Miles thought of a great idea. “Maybe tomorrow the two of us can hang out together.”

Olive gave him a curious look. “What do you mean by that?” She asked.

“We can eat out at a restaurant and go to the park.”

“Are we going to bring Lily with us?”

“Of course we will! Why would we leave her?”

“I didn’t want to leave our daughter behind.”

“Why would I do that, Olive? I love our daughter with all my heart.”

They were still talking until the rain came back, raining down on Pineville.

“We should go back home now.” Olive told Miles. They walked back to their warm and safe apartment. Olive cut off the lamp and went into bed. Miles wrapped his arms around Olive. “Good night, honey.” He whispered in her ear. “I love you.”

Olive smiled as she squeezed her hand. “I love you too. Good night.”

All night, they were sleeping in each other’s arms, safe and sound.

It's the same story as before, just so you know

March 10, 2024 22:50

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.