The Time James and Hannah Visited Baldwin Hall Apartments

Submitted into Contest #148 in response to: Write about a couple touring an empty apartment they might rent.... view prompt

0 comments

Fiction Speculative Horror

Not having any luck in their apartment search, James and Hannah gave in to letting a mutual friend of theirs make arrangements to check out a newly renovated apartment building called Baldwin Hall Apartments.

Agreeing to meet with the friends contact, an employee of the apartment building, Hannah and James arrived early the next day to scope out the building and then meet the employee. The two drove by the front of the brilliant brick building with stone accents before parking noticing how it looked old and modern at the same time. The architectural appeal seemed to have elements dating from the 1920's or 30's but clearly it looked restored with modern windows and a remodeled facade, like the building existed in two time periods at once.

After parking around back, they followed the sidewalk to the front entrance passing patches of grass and tall trees which separate the building from the sidewalk and street. A man coming out of the building held open the door for the couple. "Coming in," the man asked as a rumble of thunder was heard overhead and a few drops of rain started to fall.

"Yes! Thanks," acknowledged James and the two quickly ducked inside as the door closed behind them. Once inside, they found themselves in a spacious lobby with white and black checkered tile floors. On one side there is an old, dark wooden staircase that lead to the second floor. A set of elevators can also be found near the stairs too. The rest of the cream colored lobby with dark wooden accents was big and open where right in the center are two couches facing each other with a glass coffee table in between holding an arrangement of yellow, peach, and white flowers in the center. Beyond the couches are two sets of four chairs pushed into a four top table. Above, trendy pendant light fixtures with clear glass shades that resemble bottomless wine bottles hang down and brighten the room. Beyond the lobby and past the staircase is an office and mail boxes plus a hallway that leads both left and right to gain access to the ground floor apartments.

The lobby is empty of people except for one man in a black suit facing a large picture on the wall. "Excuse me? Are you the person who we are to meet with about the apartment," asked James.

The man turned around and smiled, "Hello. You must be the ones interested in the tour. It is a pleasure to meet you."

"This is a very nice lobby you have here. It kind of resembles an old hotel lobby," James thought out loud.

Hannah walked around the lobby noting little details like potted ferns. On the walls, Hannah observed several large pictures, one is pretty old showing how the town looked about seventy-five years ago and next to it, a tall mirror reflecting a copy of the whole lobby. Hannah walked to the far corner where a few newspapers laid on a side table free for residents to take along with a 5x7 photo of the old lobby.

"Interesting. According to this picture, this was a hotel? That's pretty cool," Hannah asked.

"That is true. The Baldwin Hotel. It was remodeled not long ago," shared Samuel. A crack of thunder suddenly interrupted the conversation making everyone jump then laugh.

"Sounds like we are going to be in for a storm soon. Good thing we are inside," noted James. Hannah, still looking at the photo on the table, caught a whiff of a cigarette or cigar. Looking around, she thought someone just entered the lobby from the hallway thinking their clothes were smokey, but it was only Hannah, James and the man in the suit. She brushed it off thinking the smell was attached to the furniture.

"Ok. Ready for the tour," Samuel questioned suggesting they all take the stairs as he motioned with his hand.

Ascending the staircase, Hannah rested her hand on the railing the same moment as a flash of lightening lit up the lobby. For a split second she received a shock from the banister. Startled she paused right on the steps to shake her hand relieving the odd electric sensation.

"Are you ok, Hannah." James asked Hannah.

"Fine. Just got a shock from the railing. The lighting I think scared me more," shared Hannah as she picked up the pace to meet the two at the top of the stairs.

From the top of the stairs the employee turned left and lead Hannah and James to the apartment. He held open the door. "Go ahead. Go in. I have other business to attend to. I'll be around if you have any questions."

"Are you sure," asked Hannah finding that to be strange.

"Yes, I really must get back to work," Samuel smiles then walks back down the hall towards the stairs.

The two walked another two steps into the room and allowed the door to shut behind them. The room was noticeably chiller than the lobby, both rubbed their arms feeling goosebumps. James hit the light switch by the door so they both can see the apartment better.

"Feels like the A.C is turned all the way up. I am going to try and find the thermostat and turn it down. I am sure the landlord would appreciate that," said James.

"Ok," answered Hannah still in the foyer as she watched her husband walk beyond the kitchen to the left and disappear around the corner. Rain is now coming down hard pounding against the windows to the apartment from across the room. Rumbles of thunder and flashes of lighting become more frequent.

Hannah looked around the modern styled kitchen noting the gray speckled, granite countertops, foggy gray wooden cupboards, and stainless steal appliances. Everything clean and bare. Even the living room, beyond the kitchen, was here of furniture as the recessed lights overhead lit up the large space showing off the refinished oak hardwood floors. A dark area of the floor caught her attention so she continued into the living room to take a closer look. A noticeable spot was a rusty in color compared to the rest of the floorboards.

"Probably just a water stain," suggested James from behind. Hannah jumped.

"Don't do that!" Hannah screamed.

"Do what," James chuckled.

"Sneak up on me!"

"Sorry," said a third voice.

Hannah and James looked at each other, color completely drained from their faces. Hannah knew it wasn't Jame's voice, as the tone was lower. Since it was just Hannah and James in the apartment, James knew it clearly wasn't Hannah as why would she say sorry in a different voice just after saying sneak up on me.

"Ok, I'm outta here. I didn't say sorry. I don't know who did, but I am not staying to find out" exclaimed James rattled. Both make a mad dash out the door.

They ran down the hallway and then down the stairs. Both looked around to see if they could find Samuel, with no luck. That is until Hannah and James looked into the mirror. Behind them, along the wall going up the stairs, was a portrait of a man in the same black suit as Samuel who just showed them to the apartment. Up until that moment, they never noticed the picture. Under the portrait read Samuel T. Baldwin, owner 1959 - 1985.

Hannah and James didn't waist any time exiting the building as rain was still coming down. That makes another apartment the couple crossed off their list of contenders.

May 31, 2022 23:37

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.