The Tournament (Are you coming tonight)

Submitted into Contest #104 in response to: Start your story with a character saying, “Are you coming tonight?”... view prompt

3 comments

Creative Nonfiction Fantasy Teens & Young Adult

It was during summer season, during the day of the quarter final of our local municipality they just hosted a top 8 tournament. It was an amazing feeling and great experience in the village we seen the beauty of support coming from various places for the love of the community. It was by the time around 1pm when after dressing up I came across this beautiful girl, I stand still like just seen a ghost gazed at her she noticed and laughed as I smiled. My friend as he enjoys joking he said I should go and ask her to come watch me play, yes I went to her playing with the ball dribbling along soon as she noticed me she moved so I yelled out. She heard me she stopped asked me to go play, I said please can you give me some of you time as she nodded to show understanding to my request.

As the game was about to begin I heard referee blow the whistle, I returned to the pitch with the ball and so the game started we played as much as I like to entertain audience I started playing with ball as usual skills from touchline people were cheering me up for the phenomenal dribbling along I can see her smile when I looked her. We continue to play one touch to improve our ball possession on the match and we were Maestro of the day for the tournament we got everyone s attention when we touch the ball crowd got mad at us showing the love support clapping hands, calling legendary names, others whistling it was amazing and referee decided to take us to break halftime. I went over to the spaza with my team mates just to intimidate the girl and she was indeed feeling intimidated we asked her to accompany us and she said I can't be with you as a girl alone she suggested let me go get some of my friends so she went and we told her where will they find us she said they will come. We went and sat down with other gents as our coach give us instructions or tactics to stop drinking and consider goals, we nodded to show understanding and even said thank we will sorry the dribbling too much it won't happen again.

The whistle was blown by the referee once to say let's continue the game from break as we were the once on the pitch we stand waiting for other team to come back from break they didn't come so a Lil boy was send to go ask them if they are Coming to play time is not on our side or they will be disqualified. As they come back we started singing the song fighting to uplift out spirit and the crowd joined the tune and now everyone who knows us what does the song mean to us start to chant. We continue to play facing home now as our position of play we looking for them girls at touchline but no one was there and in my thoughts was are they Left or still coming back?

As we continue I took them off my mind and focus on the game as I could see I no longer play good ball I can hear some fans Boo me when I fail to take shot at goal. We continue to push harder putting them under pressure at left back side but getting goal wasn't easy. We went thru with all techniques for scoring but still we failing until we were awarded the penalty as we were hoping our best striker will take it and the coach changed that, asked a goal keeper who has never scored to take it. The goal keeper went over to penalty took a shot but it was saved by blown away to becomea corner kick, fans were mad to coach and us everyone who support us went quiet for 5minutes so. We continue to play we were awarded free kick not far from 18Area yards to the post the Middlefield player decided to shoot on target it hit the post, the right winger send a pass between player in the penalty area our my other team player who is the most skillful Master of creative give us a lead by sending a shot into the net as the keeper couldn't see how the ball ended there behind him cause last time he check was a loose ball no one was on that position now score line became 0-1.

We played and fans were no longer cheers up with anything we do we started drinking again and their faith was restored they start to whistle, calling names again and we went from cold to hot mode just like that and last 10min of the games became epic we pushed forward as I was one on one with keeper instead of scoring I passed the my brother and he didn't waste time with it and give us a second goal girl was excited when we celebrate second goal I told her we got to meet after the game.

Now the score is 0-2 coach wanted to substitute just to delay the game and the referee decided to stop the throw in so they could substitute and the player the want to substitute my brother with he realised was too late for that he make excuses that he got to go to toilet running stomach problem he can't.

The referee decided to continue and add more time 5min and we continue doing our thing so we were awarded free kick again, they said someone else take it cause was far from post and the guy decided to kick it forward only not knowing the magic , glory moment he was creating our striker went forward so he can't kick the ball from the air bicycle kick and it hit the post and bounce back it found me as I take a shot on target nuggets between to keeper it was an awesome goal those that boo me clapped hand's. After the goal referee blown his whistle once, twice and it was game over 0-3 everyone ran into the pitch to congratulate their favourite and as I proceed forward to them girl groupies they ask me how do I feel being able to score I answered I feel amazing it's like dream came true. So I politely asked the girl to accompany me get my bagpack and she said no go get it and come to me I asked why she said I am afraid. Go you will find us here I went over and we as team shake hands and hugs thank each other for hard work, goal keeper was given words of encouragement next time he will score being told if he score he score for us as he fail he fail for us we fall as a team and we rise as a team he smiled feeling relieved.

I changed and went back to the girl so as I was finding my way out of crowd I didn't find her where I left her with my eyes viewing in the direction only to find out she went around me to look for me cause her friend were getting impatient. As I was about to get bored I heard tap on the shoulder and when I turn around it was her.

So we started walking and chatting exchange for words as she was quiet some of the question were getting skipped she wasn't comfortable answering them, we get to spaza shop I asked her what should I buy he she said anything I bought her sour worms and myself smarties when I give her worms she looked me the other way I gave her smarties she pulled out hand to reach out. We arrived at her home corner she didn't want parent to see her, I asked her if she can visit my side as she has a buddy that side I will accompany her so we agreed.

We exchange numbers as we seperate ways I went home and join others who going same direction one of our team mate asked if I am hitting on the girl I said no it was not his concern.

As I slowly slack my feet so they can leave me behind I plug my earphones on the iPod nano shuffle tune to my favourite songs my phone rings she is calling in my pocket due to the volume max sound I can't hear it. As it leave me a missed call I got home and I never bother checking phone I just went to bathroom to prepare water to bath. I unplugged my earphone off and took my iPod to stand plugged aux cable so I will be playing music during bath my thoughts says charge the phone too I pulled out and saw redlight notification flashing I slide up I saw sms of missed call it was that girl. I tried to call her back buck phone was on subscriber as the lady would say "The number you have dailed is not available please try again later" I left sms to ask "Are you coming tonight?

I went to bath I relaxed in the bath soaking up all the sweat thinking I will hear my phone ring but no luck it has never till I finish bathing, as I am waiting for her call but nothing comes. I don't putting some lotion on my body I had phone ring I ran to it I missed step and tremble fell off hit corner of the bed base only to find out it was call from Insurance company I got pissed I was in pain for nothing.

I lay down and looking at the ceiling ask myself "Are you coming tonight" as I can see that it reach sunset, as I was hoping to hear from her but nothing came thru I even started to catch sleep early than I think. I hope to hear from you when we meet up on our next morning semi final game.

By Shiko Mathabatha

July 28, 2021 06:27

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Toben Miller
03:17 Jul 31, 2021

That story was really good! Sad ending was powerful

Reply

Shiko Mathabatha
17:05 Aug 01, 2021

Thank you Mr I wish it could continue

Reply

Show 0 replies
Shiko Mathabatha
17:05 Aug 01, 2021

🙏

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 2 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.