0 comments

American Bedtime Fiction

    The Wackiest Dream

Suzanne Marsh

I arrived home at eleven fifty-nine, wide awake; working as a Nurse’s Aide did not have any

perks back in 1975. I was stressed; after having to stop one of the little old ladies running down the hall of the nursing home yelling: “Fire, fire, fire”. She woke up most of the residents. I really was stressed so I turned on the television and stood there flipping the channels with the knob designed to do the job. I am also a history buff and I found Twelve O'clock High, starring Gregory Peck, Hugh Marlow, and Dean Jagger. That was when I did the dumbest thing I have ever done, then or since. I knew if I did not relax I would never get to sleep, so I went into the kitchen, I had Sloe Gin, and the soda pop I had was Grape Crush, so I mixed the two. I returned to the couch, sat down, and began to sip this concoction as the movie started. The content of the movie deals with how daylight bombing began. I was glued to the movie because I have always liked Gregory Peck as an actor. Then I got the munchies and rummaged around the kitchen, I finally made some popcorn and the air popper. I was set to watch the rest of the movie.

I devoured the popcorn and sipped away at the Sloe Gin and grape, as the movie opened, a B52 Flying Fortress lands precariously without wheels down, the pilot is unscathed however his bombardier and turret gunner are not. The movie continues as I munch away, now about one o’clock. I was still wide awake, I must have dozed off shortly after I finished the Sloe Gin and grape; I woke up while a group of flyers were singing: “Don’t Sit Under the Apple Tree”. Heaven only knows why that still sticks in my mind but it does. The couch was not exactly the best place to fall asleep, it was my parent's old couch, my mom had, had it redone, unfortunately, it was great if I wanted a crick in my neck.

I dozed back off again, and when I awoke; I decided another Sloe Gin and grape was not that bad. I still had the munchies so I found a bag of pretzels; that were unopened in the back of the cupboard. They were a better option than the popcorn. I meandered back to the couch, the movie was I think, somewhere in the middle of the movie. Dean Jagger and Gregory Peck were discussing a bombing raid that was to take place during the day, up until then; the bombing had been at night. I was determined to stay awake and watch the rest of the movie, I had missed several parts already. I stared intently at the black-and-white screen, attempting to keep my eyes open. I knew if I went to bed now I would simply lie awake for at least two hours; no watching the movie was a better idea or so I thought. The more of the movie I watched the more engrossed I became. The B52 bomber was a huge plane; unlike the Stealth bombers of today. These were turboprops, they made a great deal of noise, so I remained awake as they took off on the second bombing mission of the movie. Gregory Peck is determined to fix the squadron of men, he has decided they need leadership so he goes up in one of the planes, which are attached by Messerschmidt Bf109s. Things are not looking good since the Messerschmidt was more maneuverable at this time in history. Suddenly I had an inspiration I wanted a sandwich, a ham and Swiss on rye, yes that would satisfy my hunger and I would stay awake until the end of the movie.

I made the sandwich, returned to the couch, and sat down to enjoy the rest of the movie. At this point, it was just about half over, no surprise there, between snacks and Sloe Gin and grape soda. The longer I sat there the heavier my eyelids became. I really was getting sleepy. I fell asleep once again.

I abruptly woke myself up to hear the drone of the B52s and Gregory Peck’s deep resonant voice yelling:

“Jump Joe jump” just the plan explodes. I was now ready to go to bed, sleep would not elude me any longer, at least not tonight or perhaps I should early this morning. I trotted off today after I took care of my dirty dish. Empty glass and bowl. However my brain had other plans, I crawled into bed and stared at the ceiling, this was not going to work. Tossing and turning was just not doing it, finally, I fell asleep, I wish I had not done that.

They say dreams are your worst fears, this dream was the wackiest dream I ever had. I dreamed I was being chased through my own living room by a B52 bomber. Someone kept yelling: “You can’t outrun that thing, duck, get down let it pass overhead.” Let it pass overhead? I wonder how a B52 ended up in the living room to begin with. I tossed and turned some more wrapping myself in the blankets, I could barely move, it was tight inside my blankets since I had them twisted. I must have been trying to escape the B52, after all, it had no business being in my living room to begin with! I woke up with a start wondering where I was much less what I was doing there.

I learned several things from my adventure that night. First and foremost Sloe Gin and grape pop simply do not mix. Snacking was my second mistake, a sandwich, a bag of potato chips, and popcorn, no wonder sleep was prohibitive. My last lesson was never ever come home from and watch a war movie with B52 in the plot. I can honestly say I learned my lesson, would I do it now? I doubt it, I was twenty-four when this happened; I am now seventy-four. Hopefully, I have a little more sense than I had back then.

So much for my wackiest dream, I don’t think I will ever forget it. Thank heaven it was only a dream!

July 25, 2024 19:13

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.