3 comments

Fiction Inspirational Romance

The morning felt just like the cab ride from the airport. The two of them could not look at each other, there was no proof but still, the stinging wounds were still there.

She found him hovering around the coffee pot while descending down the stairs, and it wasn't until she passed the open kitchen door did he realize she was there. His smile faded slightly, then all together. She looked at him hoping that her internal instincts were right. She loved this man, but the words he used stung more than she would ever show him.

"I, uh..." He faltered, then looking at the now dispensing coffee he regathered himself and quickly said, "Would you like a cup of coffee?" His smile was a bit crooked but genuine in that he wanted her to believe him. All the while needing to find the faith himself after what he heard on their vacation. She smiled beautifully and nodded yes.

"You think..." She too paused, wanting to get to the subject but with some finesse, since they were alone at home, "you think, that coffee shop down the way is open for breakfast? I haven't heard since we got back and with all the new regulations being put in place around town."

"Yeah, we will pack a to-go mug and ask if we can use them instead of the mugs they usually serve us with," he said, finally, he thought, some normalcy. "Small restaurants are allowed to have delivery and take out, along with limited dine-in seating."

She glanced at him, remembering that feeling of confidence and trust, but those voices were persistent in the night. The doubt just crept into her thoughts, and then what if's started to poison her mind. All the while he was accusing her of the very same thing, which was an insult to the tenth degree. She would never, calming herself and taking a deep breath she said, "I like that idea, I will get ready."

She smiled as she trodded up the stairs to their bedroom, the baggy pajamas fluttered with each bouncy step.

He went to the hallway closet and threw on a jacket. It was spring, but the winter snows had yet to relinquish their grip on the landscape. He added a scarf and took the Tully hat, pulling the earflaps from within the hat itself.

Her footsteps came padding down the stairs and she quickly rounded the corner. She had a big smile, then strode over to the closet and took her walking jacket in hand. It hung to the tops of her boots, kept the daily grim off whatever she was wearing underneath. Today, she wore a thickly woven sweater that hung off her left shoulder. It had a green and black color pattern knitted with skilled hands.

"Ready?" they both said in unison. She bounced with excitement, while he rocked slightly on the balls of his feet with the same excitement.

It was a brief walk to their favorite coffee shop. The day was cold enough that one could see their breath, but the couple held hands as usual and walked casually along the path. Neither wanted to break the peaceful feeling that this activity made for them.

They arrived and sat outside, finding their usual spot open. Sitting and removing masks, the two looked into each other's eyes. He knew she wouldn't cheat on him, he had surprised her with a 10-year anniversary vacation to her favorite place. He renewed the faith he was looking for and ordered biscuits and gravy, with a side of hashbrowns. Then had his coffee topped off.

She was outraged when she first heard of this voice through the walls talking about how she cheats on him while he sleeps his 10 hours a night and the additional accusations that followed once he began to lose sleep.

She remembered telling him 'you must be crazy,' and attempted to laugh it off, but then she saw how much it truly bothered him. She seriously talked about the voices, told him not to listen to them, and gave him a reassuring hug.

There was no way she would cheat, she made a promise when he gave her the promise ring all those years ago in his studio. Asking her out after they had made love the first time. She remembered not believing that this was possible, then thought it might be too good to be true, but in the end, said yes to making the promise to stay true to one another. 10 years, she thought, plus or minus one. She looked back into his eyes, seeing a faithful light burning in his eyes.

They endured this treatment for the length of the vacation and couldn't even stand to look at one another on the plane ride home, or even on the cab ride from the airport to the house.

She both remembered the spilled Valentine's day heart candies everywhere inside the cab and the immeasurably uncomfortable silence that fell between them.

She ordered some french toast with bacon and also got her coffee topped off. The waiter thanked them for their order and left promptly to give the order to the chef. She passed inside and glanced at the cartoon playing in the coroner.

A small TV was perched inside the slow-moving cafe, the chef casually listened to the story being told, inside the small picture a cartoon character held up a candy heart, which read 'U leave me Breathless,' the chef could barely hear what the words were because they were mixed with the words, "I love you," from the couple outside. With a quick glance, the chef saw the man take her hands in his and her smile that followed. The man kissed her hands gently then caressed them, she smiled and then laughed with joy as he said, "And, I, you."

Releasing her hands, he reached into the breast pocket of his traveler jacket. He took out a single candy heart and handed it to her, slightly breathless, she looked curiously then took the candy. She slowly mouthed the words silently, she flushed a bit, then leaned in and kissed him.

February 12, 2021 18:36

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

3 comments

Devora Jackson
21:54 Feb 20, 2021

Clever trick to hover round the coffee pot while descending the stairs lol!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Eddie Thawne
21:29 Feb 20, 2021

A beautifully written and well crafted story. Amazing! Well done!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Zinnia Hansen
17:40 Feb 20, 2021

This is extremely well written, poised and smooth. And that first line is absolutely brilliant!

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.