Casual Cruelty

Submitted into Contest #255 in response to: Write a story about anger.... view prompt

14 comments

Drama LGBTQ+ Romance

A hand rests against my chest but I wish that it would punch me instead.

No… I need something more effective than that. Knocking me out might be a good alternative.

Anything to get me out of this situation.

“This?” Jesse wags a finger in between our faces. “What are you talking about? We’re not dating.”

Forget me getting punched. I might just kill this girl.

“What?” I laugh, looking around the car with a shocked smile I can’t hold back. What is she even saying…? She must be joking. She’s talking as if she hasn’t been holding me in her arms for the past hour, cradling me and kissing me and worshiping me like some sort of goddess. Who cares about an hour, this has been going on for months! She’s joking. She has to be.

My mind races with a million thoughts as my heart pounds hard, hard, harder. I don’t know what to say. I’m in her lap in the front seat of her car and our limbs are tangled together and I feel so cramped and the world is collapsing and I can’t do anything but stare at Jesse. My hands are on her shoulders. I forgot they were there but I notice because she looks at them with those stupidly gorgeous hazel eyes of hers, as though she didn’t just ruin every moment our souls have spent together, and all in the grand total of three words.

We’re not dating.

I don’t say anything else to her so the silence only grows. Wow… The rest of the car is suddenly the most fascinating thing in the world. Was that splatter of bird poop always in the corner of the back window?

We’re not dating. 

My tote bag rests in the back with my water bottle inside. I can see it from here. Everything feels hot and I want to reach for it, but I don’t.

We’re not dating. 

Is she crazy?

We’re not dating.

“Are you okay?” she asks. My head snaps to her and my hair flies with the motion, thick strands of brown that I can hardly see in the darkness. She sees them—of course she does, she always complements my hair—and lifts her hand from my chest to touch them, to touch me, but I smack her hand away, tucking my hair back.

“Jesse,” I start. My teeth are grit together.

“Sorina?” she whispers. Why does my name sound so pretty from her lips? I close my eyes.

“What do you mean we’re not dating?

I open my eyes, and for the first time since we started this conversation, I get the satisfaction of seeing a bit of concern on her smooth face. She scrunches up her nose and leans forward, leans into me, reaching for the dome light and smashing her fist into the broken thing until it turns on. Once it is, she sighs and flops back, sticking her hands behind her head as she looks me up and down.

“You thought we were?” She smirks and it feels like a stab. “What happened to no attachments?”

…What? I can’t believe it.

“You can’t be serious right now,” I say. I hate that my voice trembles. I hate that she’s so calm. Everything is worse now that her face is illuminated because I can see every detail. Her shrunken pupils, her mess of black curls, the smears of lipstick I’ve left on her face.

“I mean, we hang out for fun and stuff,” she replies. Of all the times for her to act nonchalant, this has to be the worst.

“Fun?” I repeat, my voice rising. “Is that all I am to you? Just a game?”

Jesse shrugs and I think I might attack her. “You’re overreacting. We never had a talk, never defined anything. It’s just been… casual.”

“Casual?” The word tastes bitter on my tongue. I feel a rush of heat behind my eyes, but I blink it back, refusing to let her see me break. I can’t believe I let myself fall for her, let myself believe in a lie.

“Yeah—”

“You let me eat with them,” I interrupt.

“What?”

“You invited me to your house and you let me eat with your parents.”

I’ve thought about that day so often that it flashes through my mind in an instant. Jesse had seemed so different at dinner—attentive, affectionate. She kept her hand on my knee under the table, squeezed it whenever her parents said something particularly embarrassing. It felt strange being under their roof. 

I was sitting at a dining table with fewer chairs than mine, eating food a lot less spicy and a lot more raw than I was used to. I laughed with Jesse’s mom and realized that they share the same smile. I shook her dad’s hand. I was invited into their lives, even if just for a few hours. It felt intimate, meaningful. 

How could she think that was casual?

Was it casual when we shared her bed afterward, I wonder? 

I helped them clear the table and clean the dishes and after thanking them for dinner a thousand times, Jesse was inviting me to stay the night.

“Please! I swear they won’t notice anything! They didn’t at dinner,” she giggled. I rolled my eyes at her in the shadows of the hallway outside her room, shaking my head. My hands were in hers.

“It doesn’t feel right…” I started to say, but she cut me off with a feigned gasp and made a show of looking around, eyes as wide as they could go.

“Doesn’t feel right? Is it the atmosphere?”

I snorted and in my moment of weakness she took the opportunity to drag me into her room for the first time, but she didn’t give me the chance to look around. The door was shut and then her hands were around my neck, pulling my head down to hers.

“Still not right to you?” she muttered.

I couldn’t speak then. Not when her hands were so soft and her room so dark and her lips so close to mine. When I responded, it wasn’t with words. I made the mistake of being consumed by the moment, of allowing myself to get attached to the kisses then and every kiss up until now. 

I know I was a fool, but I allow myself to sink into the memory one last time. The honest feel of her mouth on mine, the way her hands tangled in my hair, pulling me closer. At the time, there was no doubt in my mind that what we had was real, that the connection between us was undeniable.

Now, from the way Jesse struggles to come up with a response to me, my memories feel like a cruel joke.

“Say something,” I say. I stare at her. She opens her mouth and closes it again.

“Say something!” I try shouting and still get nothing. She looks away from me and out the window so I’m left staring at her hair, dark tangles that become blurry with my tears.

I start to punch her. My hands feel weak and my chest feels heavy but my fists pound against her shoulders as I lean over her, left abandoned in her lap.

“Anything,” I beg. I stop my half-hearted assault and grab her face in my hands, forcing her to look at me.

I’m taken aback because there are tears in her eyes too.

We stare at each other, eyes roaming, mouths slightly open, but mine turns up into a smile and I begin to laugh. Hearing myself chuckle is so unexpected that I laugh even harder. My chest goes from heavy to light as I start to wheeze and grab at my stomach, wiping at my tears as I back off Jesse’s lap. 

She looks stunned. I revel in it. 

Her hands are reaching for me but mine are already on the car handle. When I’m done stumbling outside, I turn back to give her one last smile.

“Go to hell,” I laugh, and before she can finally, finally say something, I slam the door.

June 22, 2024 02:00

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

14 comments

Dave Bede
23:07 Jun 28, 2024

That moment when you realize someone you love doesn't love you back, or at least doesn't care as much as you do...it's universal, and yet everyone's experience with it is unique. You did a great job of illustrating Sorina's experience in that moment. Nice job!

Reply

Sarah Baker
05:17 Jun 29, 2024

Thank you so much!! I appreciate the feedback and I certainly agree, everyone experiences that feeling so differently!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Mary Bendickson
14:00 Jun 28, 2024

Thanks for liking 'Fair Lady Charity'.

Reply

Sarah Baker
05:15 Jun 29, 2024

Oh no problem, I loved it! :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Martin Ross
13:30 Jun 28, 2024

That’s raw in the best way! You could feel all the sense of betrayal and rejection and pure frustration, and pretty much figure out what happened with Jesse. Most of us have been through some variation of this, and you did such a great job of conveying that anguish and anger and hope you can turn everything around right there right now. Excellent, emotive writing!

Reply

Sarah Baker
05:26 Jun 29, 2024

Thank you very much! Yes, I really wanted to convey what that betrayal feels like, especially since rejection is something so widely experienced. I appreciate the detailed feedback, I'm so glad you were able to feel all the emotions I wrote!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Julia Buzdygan
07:34 Jun 28, 2024

Very well captured emotions, surely relatable for many. Writing style is easy to follow, which is great. Nicely done!

Reply

Sarah Baker
05:27 Jun 29, 2024

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Kay Smith
22:12 Jun 27, 2024

Very raw emotions in this! I loved the feeling of sinking deeper and deeper into that fear of not being wanted, of being rejected by someone that once gave you so much hope and promise... Just, wow! Kudos!

Reply

Sarah Baker
05:58 Jun 28, 2024

Hi! Thank you for taking the time to read my story. I'm happy you liked it, that's exactly the feeling I was trying to capture!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Alexis Araneta
09:50 Jun 25, 2024

Sarah, powerful stuff. You have a way of writing dialogue that says a lot in so few words. Brilliant !

Reply

Sarah Baker
20:28 Jun 25, 2024

Hi Alexis! Thank you so much, that means a lot to me!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Trisha Lee
20:51 Jun 22, 2024

I love the way you write dialogue- it really brings the characters to life. Also I really got the sense of how lovely the dinner was with Jesse’s parents, how it doesn’t make sense that it’s the end. And then that powerful ending x

Reply

Sarah Baker
21:06 Jun 22, 2024

I really like writing dialogue, so I'm so glad you think so! Thank you so much!!

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.