0 comments

High School Holiday Friendship

For me, every New Year begins with no resolutions because in reality none of the resolutions made by many of the people on Earth is accomplished. I really don’t know what else to write about as the New Year approaches, so you will listen for the next couple of minutes to my failures and some of my accomplishments.

First, let me explain what I am most proud of, I always wanted to be big and have lots of muscles, but because I didn’t and still don’t have a license I wasn’t able to go to the gym on daily basis. So I started with bodyweight exercises and was able to pack on 5 pounds of lean muscle in about 2 months after the new year. Around March my father was noticing the effort I put into working out and bought me enough gym equipment to help me pack 15 more pounds of lean muscle. At the beginning of this year, I was 130 pounds and now I am 150 pounds with a body I feel confident in.

Because I have mentioned something I am most proud of, I’ll talk about what I am least proud of. When school ended about 4 months after the new year I was “commanded” by my mother to study for the SAT, however, I did not want to or feel like studying for the SAT as I was a sophomore and didn’t think I would need to improve my score so early. All throughout the summer break, I spent my time fooling my mother into thinking I was actually studying for the SAT and during a break, she even set me up with a tutor. I received tutoring about 60 times for one hour costing my mother a total of around $1800 of her hard-earned money. I forgot to mention this, but my family is basically between low and middle class; we aren’t dirt poor but we don’t have a large income. When confronted with my effortless behavior when studying for the SAT I realized what I had done to my mother. I said that I would be studying for the SAT so that I wouldn’t have to later during Junior year, but I lied and spent all of the money she made from piano lessons and just let it go to waste. 

Throughout this year I have also been taking tennis lessons and attending clinics in order to up my tennis game. During Summer I took private lessons and high-level clinics during the school year and because I had felt like a terrible person for wasting my mother’s money on SAT tutoring I put in lots of effort during these paid tennis sessions.

After summer passed it was time for my junior year of high school to begin, the most important academic year of high school. I wasn’t yet committed to school and started the first quarter with a low A and a high B which according to the Asian standard is bad. The reason I wasn’t so committed was because of a girl who will go by the name “Wonder”. The first day of school when I saw Wonder I was struck by her gorgeous black hair (must be some innate behavior on my part) and because she was in a total of four of my seven classes, I began to develop a massive crush resulting in my grades dropping slightly below the “Asian standard”. Because Wonder was constantly surrounded by her friends I could never really talk to her without seeming like some creep that follows her around just to talk to her, so I relied on fate to bring us together. After several weeks I was finally put in the same group as her in Pre-Calc, I tried to give a good first impression and talked about myself, but eventually, the talking came to a stop I thought I had failed to give a good first impression. Throughout the second half of the first quarter, I was constantly put into situations with her and I learned that she may actually like me back after she said she was impressed by the number of pull-ups I could do at the military recruitment test. Then one day out of the blue on the last school day before Thanksgiving Break, Wonder asked me out and since then I was able to focus on school and get my grades back up. And even to this day I “wonder” how I managed to make her like me.

Unfortunately, after the 1st semester was over and winter break began I hard to resume my SAT studies because of the small effort I put in during Summer Break and because my family isn’t the richest I am doing a program where I have to submit my an application by March in order to get a scholarship and maybe be matched with a college or university and because there isn’t another break between January and March I would need to study a lot during Winter Break meaning I wouldn’t be able to spend time with my girlfriend. I have this growing suspicion that she is losing interest or doesn’t like me in the same way we did when we first started dating and there’s not really any way that I could spend time with her because I am stuck studying for the SAT all day. 

I’m really happy with how 2022 was as a whole, but at this current moment, I don’t really hate myself for not studying for the SAT earlier because it feels like I have no choice but to let the relationship dry for a little during Winter Break. Once again I will not make any resolutions because they are usually unrealistic and I’ll just go with the natural flow of life. I plan on continuing this strange personal tradition of writing down all my challenges and successes that happened in one year. I also recommend any of you guys who have actually read my year’s challenges and successes by writing your challenges and successes because I believe it's a great way for you to continue to develop into a better person.

December 30, 2022 20:10

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | We made a writing app for you (photo) | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.