0 comments

Drama Fiction LGBTQ+

My hands tremble slightly as I pour water into the coffee machine. I try to focus on the simple task, but my gaze keeps drifting to the large, floor-to-ceiling redwood door. It’s a beautiful entrance to our spacious, modern home. But today, it feels more like an exit, the only way out of this life.

I glance at the clock on the microwave.

8:10 AM

She’d be down any minute. I have to make a decision, but I am frozen in place. I think about all the days like this one, the countless mornings when I’d wanted to do exactly what I am considering now. I take a deep breath and try my best to steady my hands. The aroma of freshly ground coffee beans fills the air, but it does nothing to calm my raging nerves. I can hear the faint sound of footsteps upstairs, signalling that my wife, Jessica, is awake. I need to decide before she comes down.

My eyes dart back to the door. It stands there, imposing and inviting all at once. I imagine myself walking through it, leaving behind the life I had built, the sacrifices I had made. But where would I go? What would I do? I have tried so hard to ensure that our family looks like those functional ones you see on TV or in movies. I have tried so hard and while it may look like that on the outside, it’s not like that on the inside. On the inside, this family is broken. The sound of a chair scraping against the floor pulls me from my thoughts. I turn to see my daughter, Poppy, sitting at the kitchen table, her eyes still heavy with sleep.

“Morning, Mum,” she mumbles, reaching for a piece of bread.

“Morning, sweetheart,” I reply, forcing a smile. “Did you sleep well?”

She nods, taking a bite of her bread. “Yeah. Are you okay? You look… worried.”

“I’m fine,” I lie. “Just thinking about some things.”

Poppy’s eyes narrow slightly, but she doesn’t press any further. She is a very observant child, always noticing when something is off.

I turn back to the coffee machine and watch as the dark liquid slowly fills the pot. The minutes tick by, each one feeling like an eternity. Then, just as I am about to pour myself a cup, there is a knock at the door. My heart leaps into my throat. Who could it be at this hour? Jessica wasn’t expecting anyone, and neither was I.

“Pop, stay here,” I demand, trying to keep my voice steady. She looks up from her breakfast, concern etched on her face. “Mum?”

“It’s okay,” I assure her. “Just stay here.”

I walk towards the door, each step feeling heavier than the last. My hand trembles slightly as I reach for the doorknob. With a deep breath, I open the door. Standing on the other side is a man I don’t recognise. He is tall and dressed in a dark suit, his expression serious.

“Mrs. Taylor?” he asks.

“Yes?” I reply cautiously.

“My name is Officer Souza,” he introduces, flashing a badge. “I work for the Police. May I come in?”

My mind begins to race. The police? What could they possibly want with me?

“I… I suppose so,” I stammer, stepping aside to let him in.

Officer Souza enters the house and glances around briefly before turning his attention back to me. “I’m sorry to disturb you so early in the morning,” he begins. “But we need to talk about your wife.”

Jessica? What could Jessica have done to warrant a visit from the police?

“What about her?” I ask, trying to keep my voice from shaking.

Officer Souza hesitates for a moment before speaking again. “We have reason to believe that your wife is involved in some illegal activities. We need your cooperation in our investigation.”

My mind goes blank. Illegal activities? Jessica?

“I don’t understand,” I stammer weakly. “What kind of activities?”

Before Officer Souza can answer, footsteps echo down the stairs. Jessica appears at the bottom of the staircase, her expression one of confusion and concern.

“Chelsea? What’s going on?” she asks, her eyes shifting between me and Officer Souza.

Officer Souza steps forward. “Mrs. Taylor, I’m Officer Souza. We need to speak with you regarding some serious allegations.”

Jessica’s face goes about three shades lighter. “Allegations? What are you talking about?”

“We have evidence that suggests you’re involved in money laundering and fraud,” Officer Souza states bluntly.

Jessica’s eyes widen in shock, but then her expression grows hard. “I don’t know what you’re talking about,” she hesitates, her voice steady but her eyes betraying her fear.

Officer Souza doesn’t waver. “We have substantial evidence, Mrs. Taylor. It would be in your best interest to cooperate.”

I feel like the ground has been pulled out from under me. The life we had built, the luxury, the comfort—it was all a lie. Jessica had always been ambitious, but I never imagined it would lead to this.

“Chelsea, I can explain,” Jessica begs, turning to me, her eyes pleading.

But I can’t hear her. All I can think about is Poppy, sitting at the kitchen table, oblivious to the storm that is about to hit. I have to protect her.

“Officer,” I begin, my voice trembling but determined. “What do you need from me?”

Jessica stares at me, with betrayal and desperation in her eyes. “Chelz, please…”

But I have made my decision. “I need to protect our daughter,” I declare quietly. “I’ll cooperate.”

Officer Souza nods. “Thank you, Mrs. Taylor. We’ll need you to come with us.”

As I follow Officer Souza out the door, I glance back at Jessica one last time. The woman I had loved, the life we had built—it is all crumbling. But I knew I had to face the truth, no matter how painful.

The true cost of getting everything I ever wanted is losing the woman I thought I knew and the life I thought was real. But in that moment, I realise that protecting my daughter and finding a way to rebuild our lives is the only thing that truly matters.

September 19, 2024 07:45

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.