2 comments

Happy Inspirational

The Quiet Escape

“What is happening?” Cora asked her husband. They both watched the news on the television and tried to get a grasp on what was happening in their city. In a few short hours all the schools were closed and restaurants shut down.  By the next day sporting events, conventions, dental offices, hair salons, airlines, hotels  and retail stores had been closed. Everything was happening very quickly and after a few more days of watching the news it was clear the world was in for a big change.  

“I can’t believe this is happening,” said Cora. This was a common phrase for Cora during those first few weeks as a new normal way of life started to appear.  She could start to feel the quiet. Wearing masks and social distancing  made a visit to the grocery store feel more like attending a strange movie. The store was eerily quiet as people pushed their carts around in a zombie-like state. Their eyes peeking just above their masks reflecting the quiet fear.  A stillness was settling into the daily life of Cora and her husband. Cora missed the loud gatherings of family and friends. She missed the hustle and bustle of she and her husband getting ready for work in the mornings. Then in the evenings talking about their busy days at work while fixing dinner. She never thought she would miss the sound of the morning alarm until there was no need for one.  Cora decided a few months into the pandemic she really only needed morning a week to recharge.  One day to sit in her favorite chair, read a book and indulge in several cups of delicious coffee. Sometimes she would really go crazy and relax in her pajamas until noon. She did not need months and months of what seemed like endless time to worry.

Both Cora and her husband were consultants in the schools so when the schools were shut down they were not working. They spent lots of time on home projects, watched  Netflix, and did more puzzles than they thought they ever would.  As avid campers they camped as much as possible during this time until one day Cora walked by a big party at a campsite.

She came back and told her husband,”Well, I bet they close down the parks since a lot of people are still having large gatherings.” As predicted, the next day all state campgrounds and parks were closed.

Cora and her husband found the months they were not working quite challenging. Each day was like a game show of the unknown. Cora would sometimes become overwhelmed thinking of them. She would say to her husband,” I feel like we don’t know anything. We don’t know if we are going to get sick, we don’t know when we can go back to work, we don’t know when we can get together with family and friends and we don’t know when we can travel or camp again.” Fortunately for Cora, her husband had started a pandemic tradition to help them cope with these sad feelings of the unknown. This included a drive in his old Ford pick-up truck named “Big Red” to the Dairy Queen down the street. They sat in the truck and ate their ice cream. “Thanks for taking me on an ice cream date. I really needed this”, said Cora.

One dreary morning Cora walked downstairs, started her coffee and an idea came to her.  ”All I need to help my mental attitude is something that is actually known and I think I’ve got it “ she said. The one most precious institution still open during the pandemic was the public library and Cora decided to let the library help her get through this time in her life.

  Cora has always been a lifelong reader but her addiction to reading jumped to the next level as so many of her other hobbies were on pause. She would come to depend on books to escape the confusion and daily fear of the unknown. Her quiet escape into fictional landscapes gave Cora a great sense of peace. ”How much can a person take in one day thinking about the disease, people dying, masks, fighting, politics and money? It is honestly just too much.” thought Cora. Then she would feel guilty for saying this as scientists and medical professionals were fighting the fight of all fights.  “I’ll just add guilt to the list as well,” Cora said out loud.

Cora’s decision to begin weekly trips to the library could have started from her young memories of participating in the summer reading program. Cora’s mom always made the public library’s summer reading program a top priority. She always helped Cora fill out her weekly minute card so she could get prizes at the end of the summer. Cora laughs now thinking of how she would read so many books just to earn a silly key chain. Walking around the library and picking out her weekly books was one of her favorite summer activities. As an adult Cora still loves walking in and among the stacks of books in the library. 

 While the actual brick and mortar library was closed to patrons Cora registered her library card online so she could reserve books. Since this was the only option she made sure to spend time researching new authors and getting recommendations from friends. Cora started to look forward to her drive each week to her local library to pick up her reserved books. She yelled out to her husband, “I am off to the library and will be back after while”. 

She got in her car with a tall cup of coffee and a warm bagel wrapped in foil. And even though the librarians had her books in a bag she brought her own designated book bag just to feel like normal times. 

Pre-pandemic Cora loved that her local library was only ten minutes away but now she felt differently. She tended to drive slowly and take the scenic route enjoying her coffee and just being away from her house. Arriving at the library she parked at the curb to collect her books from the librarian giving her a cheery thank you as she passed the bag through the window. Then she parked in the lot to eat her blueberry bagel and enjoy her coffee. Deciding on which book to read first was always a tough decision. Perusing each description again Cora says “ Should it be a murder mystery, a steamy romance or a light beach read? I have such escape options”.  She smiled and enjoyed this quiet moment drinking her coffee and beginning her new book. She was now far away from the troubles of the world and in her own quiet escape.

July 07, 2023 14:01

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

Lynn Matchett
18:24 Jul 14, 2023

Thank you so much Valerie. I really needed some positive words today. I am working on my second children's book and am a bit stumped. I will push through! Thanks again for your kind words.

Reply

Show 0 replies
Valerie Preston
14:15 Jul 14, 2023

I found your story easy to read, and very real as I pictured how life was during the pandemic - just the way you wrote about it. Well done Lynn, Valerie 🌺

Reply

Show 0 replies
RBE | Illustration — We made a writing app for you | 2023-02

We made a writing app for you

Yes, you! Write. Format. Export for ebook and print. 100% free, always.