0 comments

General

Rowdy laughter rolled off the walls of the crowded bar as the clanking of five glasses went up at Winnie’s table. An off-key vocal performance of a not-so-sober Happy Birthday song followed. She nervously played with her long brown hair as embarrassment warmed her face. Donny, her lifelong best friend, smiled at her as tried to speak over the room, “To our favorite overgrown toddler! Happy 23rd birthday Winnie!” Echoes of cheer washed over the table. She scowled playfully at him but it didn’t last for long as she smiled wide and took a sip of her chardonnay, leaving behind a red lipstick print. Donny, Bridget, Mercutio, and London all brought drinks to their mouths with smiles wide enough to match her own. Bubbly she spoke, “Well this feels like it is going to become a night to remember so let’s drink way too much so we don’t have to!” Mercutio’s gravely rough laughter raked across the table, “That seems like an invitation to get everyone some shots,” he stood and sarcastically added, “should I make them body shots ladies?” He winked and strolled to the counter as London, Bridget and Winnie rolled their eyes.

London brushed her black pixie cut hair to the side and her doll-like blue eyes caught Winnie's as a silent joke played between them. Bridget missed this entirely as she attempted to tie her corkscrew curly blonde locks back in a ponytail. Her hazelnut eyes flashing with frustration. Donny joked from his seat with green eyes bright, “You should just cut it and rock an afro like me” he shook his head and his coffee-colored curls bounced around like springs. Bridget made a half-hearted glare from under her mop of hair as she tightened the hair tie. Suddenly with a quick snap, it broke and launched into the air. Surprise coated Bridget’s features as London choked on her whiskey. Winnie tried and failed to hide the cackle rising from her throat. In return, Bridget let her hair fall with an exasperated huff then proceeded to pout in her seat nursing her strawberry daiquiri.

Mercutio loudly returned with a bottle of tequila, a bowl of sliced limes, along with five shot glasses, “Now it’s a party!” He sat heavily in his chair and lifted his jack and coke to his mouth. Winnie tried to suppress a grin as her golden-brown eyes fell on his glass. Mercutio eyed everyone suspiciously through his gray gaze, “Okay, spill. What did you guys do to my drink?” Bridget smiled sweetly with mischief coating her tongue, “We didn’t do a thing to it. You're such a sissy.” Mercutio took a nervous sip of his drink which was cut short with a look of disgust and shock. His fingers reached into his glass to pull out a broken hair tie. Bridget erupted with laughter from her chair as he flung it at her. Winnie couldn’t help but give London and Donny a look of ‘Oh no-- this is off to one hell of a start.’ Soon their firebrand chatter filled the air as the hours began to dwindle along with the bottle of tequila. 

***

The night was wrapping up as Winnie and London unsteadily stepped out of the bar finding themselves on the busy downtown sidewalks. Cool night air surrounded them as they waited for their cab. Winnie leaned her back against the cold brick and looked at London with a drunken smile. London bounded playfully over to her clumsily in response. Then she braced one arm against the wall close enough where Winnie could smell the whiskey on her breath. The two girls giggled with alcohol coating both their tongues.

London’s cheerful voice piped up, “One hell of a birthday isn’t it?” 

Winnie chuckled with a smile, “Too bad I’m not going to remember much!” 

Their laughter filled the air as the rhythm of the city sped around them. Winnie heard a small sigh from London as she leaned her head against Winnie’s shoulder. The air around them crackled. Her heart stopped dead as she heard London whisper into her ear, “I bet you'll remember this.” Without missing a beat London took Winnie’s cheek in her hand and kissed her. Shock and adrenaline rushed through her veins as she stepped into London's kiss and wrapped her arms around her waist. The kiss continued as Winnie felt her back hit the brick wall behind them. London's hands went to her sides drifting up past her ribcage. What am I doing? Winnie started to pull her kiss away when the sound of the bar door thumped opened. Whipping her head to the side she saw Donny looking at them with what seemed like confusion in his eyes-- along with something else she couldn’t quite place. His smile went grim and his posture slouched as he went back inside. London's hand rested on Winnie’s arm as she pulled her toward a cab she hadn’t even known was there. 

A seductive grin sparkled off London's face, “Come on, let’s go home. I have a birthday gift for you. Forget about him. He had his chance.” 

What? Part of Winnie wanted to go but something felt wrong. “I’m not sure about this London. I don’t think this is a good idea.” She breathed in sharply as London brushed a fingertip along her collarbone. No. “I really should go after him.”

“I think you should stay. If it feels good then it’s a good idea, right?” Her hands roamed down to Winnie’s backside teasing the hem of her short dress. 

She shuddered, “I think we should sleep on it.”

“We can sleep on it together baby.” London's lips started trailing up her neck to her ear. A single nip had Winnie’s knees feeling weak.

No. “London we can’t.” This isn’t right. We’re just friends.

Suddenly London stepped back with anger in her eyes, “Why Winnie? You know you want to so stop playing hard to get like a stuck-up bitch.”

Winnie recoiled at her sudden outburst, “Go home.” She stepped angrily back toward the bar door.

London’s hand caught her wrist firmly, “No Winnie, please. I’m sorry. Don’t leave me. Who’s going to get me home safe? You always make sure I’m home safe.” She kissed her hand, “Let me make you happy. Let me.” She stepped forward to kiss her again.

Winnie yanked her hand out of her grasp with a disgusted expression, “Go home London and text me when you're sober.” She rushed toward the door and swung it open heavily only looking back to see London furiously stepping into the cab.

Winnie made her way to the back of the bar near the bathroom hallway. Donny sat on the hardwood floor with his back leaned against dark blue wall. Shame crept up upon her skin as she slowly walked toward him, her heels tapping along the way. He looked up at her with dull sad eyes as she took a seat next to him.

Quietly she spoke, “Where’d Mercutio and Bridget go?”

He sighed, “They’re either hooking up with each other or other people in the staff bathroom.”

“Knowing them it could be both.”

A small smile cracked upon his lips, “No kidding.” An awkward silence filled the space between them, “Why are you here?”

Winnie breathed in failing to restrain the small shake in her breath, “Something just didn’t feel right. London and I are just friends. I knew we always shared some sort of playful spark but I well I didn’t think...” She took in another shaky breath, “I didn’t think it was like that.”

He looked at her with what looked like pity, “You did kiss her back though.”

“Yeah. I know but...” anger boiled in her, “I never wanted this! I never wanted her to kiss me, sure it was fun, but I didn’t want that and yeah I liked it but just because I like something doesn’t mean it’s a good idea and things are finally doing okay and I don’t need her barreling into my life fucking everything up and ruining what I’ve worked so hard to achieve.” She breathed in heavily-- out of breath from her outburst. Tears pooled in her eyes as Donny wrapped his arm around her shoulders.

Understanding filled his voice, “I know it’s not what you're looking for anymore. I know you're tired of having ‘fun’ and making god-awful decisions,” a smile grazed Winnie's lips as he chuckled, “But,” he continued, “it’s okay to mess up. Everyone makes mistakes. You can keep making mistakes and still be better than you were.” 

“But how do you know?”

He laughed, “I don’t. But I do know that you're human.”

“Okay okay okay. But what if I am some sort of alien sent from another planet and I just don’t know it yet?”

He stood and helped her up, “Then you’re a pretty cute alien.”

She rolled her eyes at him, smiling, then with a sigh, “I think I’m ready to head home.”

He nodded, “I’ll call you a cab.”

Her response came out quick, “No,” he eyed her with confusion, “I’d rather walk. Some fresh air sounds nice.”

“Okay, well then I’m walking with you.” He teased, “ I hope you don’t mind.”

“Not at all.”

***

The night settled around them as they closed in toward Winnie’s apartment. They walked in comfortable silence toward her door with they only sounds between them being the clap of their shoes on the pavement.

Winnie sighed as she unlocked the deadbolt with a methodical heavy click, “Do you want to come in for some tea? Perhaps a card game just like old times?”

A smile cracked upon his lips, “Uh duh!” He swiftly pushed past her into the doorway and made his way through the hallway, flicking the lights on as he went. Something changed as he abruptly stopped dead in her living room. A new kind of silence filled the air as something in Winnie’s stomach tightened. A sickening laugh was heard through the hallway as she hurried into the living room next to Donny to see London sitting at Winnie’s desk.

Shock crept along her skin but quickly became boiling rage, “What the fuck are you doing in my house?”

London laughed and spoke with a serpent’s smile, “Now I see why you didn’t want to come home with me?” She cocked her head to the side, “Were you hoping to get our little friend Donny alone?”

Donny didn’t so much as flinch at the assumption. Although the accusation was false her face still heated with both embarrassment and rage, “You delusional bitch! I rejected you because you and I are just friends! I don't even think we’re that anymore and I don’t know how you fucking got into my house but you need to leave!”

“Oh, don’t get so angry. You should save that for later.” London stood and leaned her hands flat against Winnie’s desk with something silver glinting beneath her palm. 

Donny’s voice came out glassy, “London, let’s talk about this.” Fear began to snake around Winnie’s throat as she took in the situation.

London breathed in sharply, her voice sickly sweet, “Yes, Donny. Let’s talk.” She stood straight and leisurely slithered in Winnie’s direction, her right hand holding something. Cold anger drenched the room, “This is why. Isn’t it?” Her voice was sharp with distaste, “Him. It’s always been him. I’ve known you for years and you’ve always chosen to fall into his arms at your worst moments no matter how many times I offered my hand to you! During high school with those inconsiderate bitches who would terrorize you. During college with your bad breakups with those boys, you loved so much. Even now, when you finally show me  your feelings you cast me away, but then again, you’ve always been a greedy cunt."

A growl came from Donny, “Get out!”

With a wild look in her eyes, London gave him a smile and a sadistic purr, “Make me.” She then lunged at him with a silver letter opener from Winnie’s desk. A frightened squeak came from Winnie as she jumped back. Donny swiftly grabbed London’s wrist and whipped her around into the wall with a sickening thud. Seizing the opportunity Winnie grappled the makeshift weapon out of London’s hand. The letter opener clattered upon the hardwood as Donny wrestled to pin London’s hands behind her back.

In the background, a heavy knock sounded at the door, “Police. Open up.”

Taking her opportunity London struggled free from Donny’s grip and came straight at Winnie knocking the back of her skull into the wall. Her head throbbed as she felt London’s nails dig into her arms. Her head slammed back once more as her vision became foggy and too bright. Through blurry vision, Winnie recognized her front door being kicked in as she felt London’s weight disappear off of her as she sank into the ground.

***

Winnie blinked as her eyes adjusted to the light of the hospital room. She lifted her head and as she did so pulsating colors swam in her vision and seemed to push themselves into her brain. She released a small groan and rested her head back against the pillow. 

A mop of blonde curls was sitting in a chair on her right side. Bridget’s voice came out soft and quiet, “Hey.” 

“Hi” she rasped.

“Wow. A massive hangover and a psychotic bitch. You outdid yourself this year didn’t you Winnie?”

Winnie gave a pained yet joyful laugh, “I like to party hard.” A smile came from both girls but the air soon became heavy, “Where’s Donny?”

“He’s okay. He wasn’t hurt--minus a few bruises. He’s talking to the police about what happened.” 

“That’s good.”

A knock and click of the door had a man entering who seemed to be a doctor. Her doctor. His voice was collected and steady, “Ms.Winifred Lewis.”

She cringed at her full name, “It’s Winnie.”

He cracked a small smile, “Well, Ms.Winnie Lewis. It looks like you've had quite the day. My name is Doctor Simmons.” 

“Now, I’m just going to do a quick check-up now that you’re conscious.” He then made his way through the basic procedures of checking her pulse, heart rhythm, lungs, blood pressure, ears, and eyes. He jotted some notes quickly down on a clipboard while Bridget held Winnie’s hand reassuringly. “It seems you are experiencing some signs of a concussion. We can discuss recovery at a later time but at this moment the police would like to speak with you about the happenings of tonight. Would that be okay or would you prefer to rest instead?”

Her voice was tight but firm, “No. That’s alright. You can send them in.” 

With a nod, he left the room silently. Winnie turned to Bridget with a sigh and leaned her head back against the pillow as she tried to gather as much information about what has just happened.

Bridget squeezed her hand, “Do you want me to leave when they get here?”

Shame crept over Winnie’s skin as she thought of that kiss-- those kisses-- she had shared with London. No way did she need her to hear that, “Yeah. I’ll be okay. I think it would be easier to explain alone. Thank you though.”

With a curt nod and one last hand squeeze, Bridget stood and quietly left the room. Winnie soaked in the short minutes of peace before another knock sounded at the door. 

“Come in,” she called. One woman and one man entered in uniforms, badges bright.

The woman spoke first in a soft, yet authoritative tone, “My name is Officer Ross and this is my partner Officer Peterson,” she gestured to the man next to her, “We would like to ask you some questions about what happened tonight. Would that be alright?”

With a nod, “Yeah. Yes. Of course.”

“Okay,” She pulled up a chair next to Winnie’s hospital bed as the man stood against the table, facing her. “Let’s start with the beginning. Can you recount the evening and how it began?”

“Well,” she breathed in, “we were all meeting at a local bar for my 23rd birthday.”



August 10, 2019 03:48

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.