What Happened at the Hospital?!?

Submitted into Contest #119 in response to: Write a story that involves eavesdropping.... view prompt

1 comment

Contemporary Drama Fiction

     Shala was walking the halls of the hospital when she heard talking. She was waiting for a friend to change her mind. This friend had asked everyone to leave. They had come, at her request, to welcome her baby into the world. Shala will check on that situation after this happening, whatever develops. She stopped and listened hard. She didn’t want to eavesdrop, but, one of the voices sounded familiar. The woman’s voice was like her boss, Renay! But the boss was on vacation! Not even in the area!

         Miss Shala walked toward the sounds. She stopped at the corner and paused, waiting for an opportunity to step forward. She peeked around the wall. The scene was like a soap opera and she didn’t know whether to quietly slip away or stay and watch. This vision was fascinating to her. She was mesmerized by the unfolding events.

         The woman on a stretcher, in a busy hall by the nurses’ station. They wanted to keep an eye on her. Thank goodness the nurses’ station was close. Shala had heard the doctor tell the nurses to watch this patient. If she turned white or blue, they were to interrupt whatever he was doing and get them into surgery immediately. It sounded serious.

         Apparently, someone had called her ex-husband and told him that she was here. He was holding her hand and they were talking softly. He walked away and the doctor came over to her. She grabbed his sleeve desperately. 

         “What am I going to do?  My husband is caring but we are divorced. Now this!” she loudly exclaimed, indicating her position and situation. 

         Shala now knew for sure it is Renay! The chief executive officer spent some time with the staff. Shala and her co-workers were familiar with her presence, voice and mannerisms. They all liked her.

         The drama continued. 

         “Talk to him some more. Maybe there is a chance for you two to get back together. Do you know if he found someone else?” The doctor sounded hopeful. Shala understood this heart patient would need someone to help her after the surgery. A husband would be ideal, but…

         “I don’t know.” She said, “He has been gone – out of town for a couple of weeks. But he was often gone on business trips. Extended absences are not that unusual for him. Three years! We have been divorced three years.” 

         The doctor patted her hand. “Please rest now. The nurse will come by in a little bit and give you something to help you sleep through the procedure. Be sure to let them know if you need to relieve yourself. We want you to be comfortable.” 

         The man returned with a beautiful dark-haired woman in tow. She wore a long red wool coat with a fur collar. A gold purse and matching shoes completed her outfit. This person stood a little away from everything, as if touching something would contaminate her whole being. The man went over to the woman lying on the gurney for a little more conversation. Then went to the nurse’s station.

         “I’ll pay for this! I don’t know how but I’ll pay for this.” Running his fingers through his light brown hair he turned back to the woman on the hospital gurney. “I’ll pay for this for you but that’s all I am going to do! You just did this to get me to come back to you. This is the last time!” Calming himself, he said more quietly “Can’t you just live and let things develop naturally?” He bent over and placed his head on her tummy. She stroked his hair a few times. Then he straightened up. 

         With tears in his eyes he said, “I can’t go through this again. I won’t! I can’t care about you anymore. The future is uncertain. Maybe if you grow up a little. Gosh! You’re 35 years old! These theatrics are ridiculous at your age! I’m out ‘a here!” Leaving a business card on the nurses’ station he reached for his companion and, without ceremony, they left.

         Miss Shala was shocked and troubled by the scenes that had unfolded before her. No one had taken any notice, so she quietly walked over to her friend. “Renay, Renay?”

 “Oh Shala! I didn’t know you were here! How much of this fiasco did you see? Did you make any sense out of it?”

         “Renay, I was visiting a friend and was just going home when it all started. I did not know it was you, at first. Then I heard your voice and knew. We all thought you are on vacation. This doesn’t look like much fun.”

         “Shala, in the building, or office for that matter, only a few people know I have a heart murmur. It has just gotten serious now. The doctors think I have a hole in my heart that is causing me to lose some blood into my chest cavity. That makes it hard to breathe sometimes. Also, I have been feeling weak and light headed lately. The doctor said to come on in and they will take care of me.”

         The doctor came back, in scrubs. “Hi, are you a friend of my patient?”   Miss Shala said “Yes.” 

         Then the doctor stated “Can you please stay so I can talk with you about care of my patient?”

         Shala said “Certainly!” 

         The doctor turned to his patient and asked how the talk with her man went.    

         Renay burst into tears. “We talked, sort of. I’ve stood on my own two feet. I’ve been working. I have my own apartment. I don’t take alimony from him. My health insurance will pay for this. He doesn’t have to give one red cent! We will be apart three years next month – Why did he have to come back here today? Just to make a scene? This is just too much to think about now. With God’s help, Doctor, we will get through this surgery. At this moment, that is all that matters!” She gave a brave smile.

The nurse came over to give her the shot but Renay told her to wait. The doctor reminded Shala to stay and talk with him after the surgery. She agreed and Renay was glad to have a friend with her now.

         They got Renay up and helped her to the bathroom. Then the shot was administered when she was back on the gurney. A few minutes later they wheeled her into the room for her surgery. 

Miss Shala went home, had lunch and came back to wait for the surgery to be over and successful.  

November 11, 2021 19:19

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

1 comment

22:44 Mar 13, 2022

Did she have to stay and discover it was her boss on the gurney? I guess that is the story! So, yes! Otherwise, it would be boring.

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.