2 comments

Mystery

There has been a window in that abandoned house , in the very end of the road. A large, golden ragged window that was kept intact despite the instability of the roof that threatens to fall at any instant whenever a car passed nearby.

A window painted in shades of golden and violet, too pretty to be part of the not so elegant fifty years old house.

Some people swear that they saw a ghost of a kid standing there, behind that window in the middle of the night,

People swear to have seen the shadow of a sparkling black orbs following their every moves , even at the peak of darkness.

Others think they saw a silhouette of a tall man who seems crouching on the floor , hands gripping the frame of the window , strongly enough to cause it to clatter at times,all while muttering low , incomprehensible whispers, sometimes even impossibly low whistles that send shivers down their spines .

No one chose to believe what these people said, because everyone here knows that no sane person dares to wander at night save for the stray dogs, fools, or the drunk fools occasionally swaying and ending up flat on the floor, in the middle of the road, wasted.

 And that's how suspicion died quickly, rumors ceased , faded, till it became a scary story told by grandmothers to send fear in little children's hearts and now , no living soul believes that I have been occupiyng that house , that i keep on standing behind that window , every single night observing everyone and anyone that enters my field of view, no need to worry about getting busted because others hardly have time to look where they're putting their feet while walking , obviously, staying still will make you almost inexistent to them, heck, they're not even sure if they themselves exist in the first place ! So don't worry my friend, you can creep in, pass besides them, curse at their stupidity and they would thank you for your nice words . yes that's how city inhabitants are...

It's so strange, aren't humans complaining of lack of time , of their work and study filled days , of their tired eyes and sore lambs?  

Then why don't they really make use of their time? Why do they pass their breaks scrolling through those weirdly small things that consume their attention, oh I once saw a mother who was too immersed with that device that she forgot about her little boy who almost fell in the sewers if it wasn't for their dog barking furiously but that's off track isn't it?! What I wanted to say is , there is no reason for worrying about me being constantly trapped here, it's actually a joy, watching these ant like creatures shuffling through their things, hustling and bustling, running and walking hurriedly towards their destination, eyes glued to screens that does them bad more than good ,constantly complaining about anything and everything. Never once have I heard someone expressing satisfaction or gratitude, and if , by any chance I did it was definitely coupled with a complaint about something seemingly more worrisome and troublesome.

You don't want to become one of them believe me my little friend, you'd better stick to your nature and never try to mimic their way of living, I mean come on ! It's so absurd! Why are humans so stupid ? I , for the life of me would have never imagined that my punishment will turn out to be this easy and gratifying, I mean I do all the bad deeds and then find myself laughing my head off while watching people struggle and fail at this test called life , hehe, do they seriously think that they are only supposed to eat, sleep , complain and lie?! 

Yes they do lie : lie to their friends when they don't want to talk and say that they have some urgent matters, lie to their families and say that they are having their best time abroad , with a brand new car and a gorgeous foreign girlfriend, and most importantly, lie to themselves, repeatedly, constantly, incessantly, whining and saying that they can't do that or weren't supposed to face that , that it's too hard to keep working, that's it's too hard to keep trying, that they were supposed to get it right from the first try ... Who in the world gets thing done right from the first time?! Do they think they are God or something?! 

Well enough of this nonsense and let's focus on today's task : now I am to show you how things are done here , I will pass on this amazing position for you so make sure you do your work efficiently, I am still bitter that my time is up, I wish my actions were more horrendous than yours that way I could've stayed here longer, I am not jealous ok ? I just think that you are incredibly lucky because making fun of the human ignorance is The most enjoyable thing I've got to do on this earth .. oh what now?! I am off track again?! Well whatever, it's not like people will suddenly wake up and start living their life right!

Easy easy my friend no need to throw me that piercing look of yours , we are getting to it eventually, we have all the time after all , things only start to get exciting when the night crawls and the darkness takes over the city ...

But first let me tell you about the most memorable thing I witnessed during my stay . hmm you are getting interested aren't you ? Fair enough, nothing is as effective as gossip when it comes to getting the focus of the listeners.... Wait! Now that I think about it , I think I know who did it ! Oh my God I can't believe I just solved the puzzle ! It was just under my nose how come I didn't figured it out earlier! ? I knew I was a genius but that absolutely baffled me, I think my observation skills are completely honed , I am pretty sure those ignorant inhabitants would have never knew , not in a million years , well obviously no one of them has that amazing brain of mine , you see now little one? Your friend right here is as perceptive as a detective and no one compares to me in solving riddles but don't worry , you'll get there one day , don't get discouraged cause your luck sent you to someone unique like me , everyone has the right to dream , it's by practice that you get to greatness.

 We will continue our talk later ok ?

 I am kinda in a rush , and a little advice my friend, your expectations along with your wishes are , more often than not , unfulfilled if not unfinished so instead of building frustration and letting it suffocate you think about using the new data to your gain , you never know what you can create with a sharp mind , for example : you can keep on writing what might have happened in here , imagining the story I was about to tell , who knows maybe you' re going to get it right (wink ) , sorry to disappoint but I have pressing matters , enjoy your new task and never listen to those who talk too much they can end up being a city's fool....

................................................................

It was an unfamiliar disturbance that occurred in the small city, that went unnoticed by most , who naturally had more import matters to attend than the death of the city's fool.

Some swear they saw him jump from the golden and violet window at 00:02 while shouting intelligible , incomprehensible words, others swear they saw the shadow of a chicken in the abandoned house who kept on jumping and squeaking untill the fool run out of breath, some swear they saw the chicken struggling while trying to grab the man by his collar , in an attempt to bring him back to the house , others think that the chicken never stopped trying until it died of exhaustion and hunger ................... Only one thing is sure, no one in the small city paid attention to the bodies of a man and a chicken , who were found by the abandoned house. Right after the police took the cadavers , every inhabitants resumed their everyday life , as if nothing happened, eyes glued to the screens of their devices, not sure if the body that got found was the fool's or theirs...... 


July 18, 2020 10:56

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

2 comments

P. Jean
00:25 Jul 30, 2020

I think I have the point of your story...it is not so directly told...one must pay attention...it certainly is not boring!

Reply

15:59 Aug 01, 2020

Thank you so much for your feedback ! And yes that is my style I always want for readers to be focused in what I write and usually my writing has one or multiple hidden messages! I am glad it wasn't boring :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.