5 comments

Coming of Age Teens & Young Adult Romance

For the average young adult, the college social scene is a terrifying and magnificent place to be, simply because most people think that they’re free. However, they would be greatly confused. Just like high school and all other places in life there are expectations. There are still smart people, cool people, and teacher's pets. Deciding where you want it to fit into this world mattered. 

     For Logon Scott, it was a lonely place. His parents had always wanted an outgoing child something he wasn’t. Though he attempted to seem like one. Constantly being compared to his cousin Tyler, he found it hard to keep up the appearance. It was like a balancing act. Depending on who he was around he did his best to act the part. In reality, he was withdrawn, humble and smart. Though because he was smart he knew how to read people. Which always meant knowing how they were going to react. Instead of allowing people to react to them, he gave them the response they wanted. No one seemed to notice. Logan was a master of faking it. Not even The people who thought of him as his closest friends thought they knew the real him. However, most people only knew a version of him. An that was okay for logon. It was better that way.

     One of the people who thought they were close friends busted into the room. With manic energy, the man barreled for him diving on the bed where Logon had previously been reading. Nathan a typical jock bounded In full of energy. Nathan was an extrovert, and the School’s unofficial party planner with more Enthusiasm than should be allowed at nine am. Morning people are scary.

“Dude, finish your nerdy school stuff and meet me at the movie hall, seven a clock sharp, don't be late” Nathan said beginning his retreat from the room.

“Why?” Logon voice allowed. Nathan smirked with a cheshier look.

“We’re gonna party”

Faking some enthusiasm he agreed to meet Nathan who left to rally more party-goers.  To Logon, it was torture all he wanted to do was read his books. So for the next six hours, that’s exactly what he did. Deciding it was time to prepare for hell. He searched through his clothes. Each giving off the wrong vibe. He wanted to say fun yet leave me alone. Feeling mentally defeated he settled on a bare pair of worn-out black jeans and a shirt that had the university name on it.

    Slowly shuffling towards the hall Drew’s filled his heart all frat parties were the same endless alcoholic beverages everywhere. Littering the floor like slobs. Before he even made it to the door loud thumping music caught his attention. Maybe he could turn back now. However, as he went to spin around he came face-to-face with one of the popular girls: Angelica or Angel as many people called her.

“Hi, Angelica” 

“Hey, Logon I didn’t know you were coming,” Angelica said a big smile for me on her face. Unable to respond because of nerves he just smiled as a stranger came out of the room and walked past the signaling for them to enter the door. Still in his daze, he leads her through the door into the loud thumping room. It made his skin feel like it was vibrating from the reverb. Anxiety went through the roof as he surveyed the hundreds of people in the room. It had to be over fire code. Looking around in utter disgust he found that everyone was tipsy or wasted with a few people in clusters sitting around chatting. Others stood alone making out, dancing just having a good old time.

Angelica disappeared into the crowd leaving him all alone. This was torture. He needs proof he was there. Slowly and strategically he walked through other people who were taking videos and pictures and posting them. This would be his proof for being there. And it’s like that he made his way back out of the crowd towards the exit. Just before he could grab it however a hand firmly placed itself on his shoulder.

“Dude you Maddie it!” Nathan yelled over the music. Nathan let him over to a group of his friends and from there he was stuck awkwardly staring at the exit. 

     Logan found himself sandwiched between two peppy girls, one goth guy, and another jock of a girl on the end of the half-circle couch. Nathan squeezed himself in by the girl causing Logon to be physically touching the peppy blonde on his left. Nervously he wondered what excuse could get him out of the situation when a shot glass appeared in front of him. His eyes comically ball from his head as he attempted to re-seal the mask that was his emotions.

“Thanks,” he said dryly giving the Guy who had set them down a dirty look. As he was about to come up with what he had to leave Angelica bounded up to the table. Nathan stood up telling everybody to cheers. The tiny glasses clanked together. Disgusted cringe-worthy faces were made. Logon Force the nasty drink down and try best to keep a poker face.

“Again!” The guys said disappearing and reappearing with A fresh untouched bottle of Jack Daniels. Angelica agreed and after two more shots. Logon was feeling pretty good and confident. Mellow and going with the flow he gave in to the room. A fast-paced song came on Angelica swayed to the best calling the others out to the center. Logan spun around ignoring the eyes on him. the only evidence of his actions captured by the cameras of phones. During this eventful night, Logon played beer pong, strip poker, and drank a shit ton. Uncharacteristically he decided to go with whatever his wild friend came up with. It may have started with an Oscar-winning performance on faking social etiquette but ended with the best night of his life. Angelica asked him if he wanted to see a movie. They have been dating and plan to move to Washington when school ends. It only took one night to change their life. Imagine what could happen to you in one night.

July 24, 2021 06:46

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

5 comments

Elizabeth Aubel
04:14 Nov 22, 2021

Damn, one night caused them to move to Washington?! Nice story :D

Reply

Show 0 replies
Sarah Martyn
18:46 Jul 31, 2021

I like the way you described "It made his skin feel like it was vibrating from the reverb".

Reply

Sarah Martyn
18:46 Jul 31, 2021

My story: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/104/submissions/78378/

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Jamming Happy
05:53 Jul 25, 2021

Otherwise nice story

Reply

Show 0 replies
Jamming Happy
05:53 Jul 25, 2021

You might want to edit the middle it looks like the paragraph got jumbled:)

Reply

Show 0 replies

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.