Crash, Burn, and Earl Grey Tea

Written in response to: Write a story about somebody in love with someone from their past.... view prompt

0 comments

Adventure Fiction Romance

I watched as the plane crashed down, my lips curled into a wicked smile. “Mission report milady, the target has been eliminated.” A voice crackled over the radio, “Hold your tongue soldier. I wouldn't be too sure. She’s a crafty one, but when she comes, we’ll be ready. 

***********

I jerked the throttle, heart in my throat, praying to God that I would survive. Realizing no matter what I did this plane would still go down in flames made anxiety flare on my stomach. Something was nagging at the back of my mind and suddenly my head snapped up. The briefcase! I tried to turn in my seat, only to find that the seatbelt was jammed. My heart hammered in my chest while I jerked the buckle. Smacking it a couple times, I resorted to my knife. As soon as I sliced through the last thread, I could feel gravity pulling me towards the back of the plane. Elongating my nails, I latched onto the leather and foam seat, stationing myself away from the rising flames. Reaching behind, I snagged a pipe and pivoted, facing the back. With one hand holding the pipe, I used my free one to pull my shirt over my nose to block the toxic smoke. Once I was ready, I started swinging through the flames, eyes searching the wreckage for the crucial evidence. I saw that one of the layers of the floor had been blown out and a shallow hole had been created, a green light emitting from it. I dropped to the ground, rushed over, and lo and behold, there lay the briefcase. Sure it was a little banged up, but it was what it held that was important. Opening it, I breathed a sigh of relief. Still intact. 

Suddenly, I was thrown off my feet, and the plane started shuddering. Letting go of the edge of the hole, I slid to the front latching onto the seat once more, and looked out the window. What I saw sparked an idea. Using the last of my strength, I pulled the throttle back and to the right, steering the plane onto a nearby dirt field. 

Upon Impact, I was tossed backwards, clutching the briefcase and smacked my head on the floor. I lay there in a sort of daze, a faint smile on my lips. I just survived a plane crash! I snatched up the briefcase and stumbled out of the fiery remains. I shielded my eyes from the bright sun and gasped at what I saw. Looming to my left was a farmhouse. And not just any farmhouse, but my house. But something was off, something was different. I looked to my right to see my family's iron-welded entry gate. Instead of an R, there was a big swirling S. Huh. Interesting. 

Adjusting my grip on the case, I started for my old home. Maybe whoever lives there now could help me. As I walked away from the plane and across the field, I wondered who lived there now. I didn't have to wait for long because the door suddenly opened and out walked someone I thought I would never see again. 

My mind went numb, and my legs moved without me telling them to. I dropped the case and ran as fast as I could to them. I screamed his name and tackled him to the ground. "Alastair!" I laughed. Hey "Keira." He grins. My face morphed to anger, "Alastair!" He scrambled backwards as fast as he could, but not fast enough. I lifted my right hand and smacked him in the face. "YOU LEFT ME! ALL ALONE IN THAT PRISON CELL! I WAITED FOR YOU AND YOU NEVER CAME!" "Hey Keira, good to see you too." He looks behind me and winces. "I see that you still have a knack for making enemies, and trouble. How about we grab that briefcase you dropped and go inside. I have a feeling we have a lot to catch up on."

***********

Opening the door, I glanced in to see a beautifully decorated home, rustic farm style. The living room was straight ahead, and the clean, and spacious kitchen was to the right. I look back at Alastair and he smiles. “Do you like it?” He asks. “I love it.” I grin back. He led me into the kitchen and I sat down on a stool at the island. He walked around me and opened the cabinet, taking down a small box of Earl Gray tea. He remembered! 

He turned back and lifted an eyebrow, “This type, I presume?” “Yes,” I laughed, “You are absolutely correct.” He turns on the tea kettle and waits for it to boil. The silence in the air is thick. “So…” I start. “Are we going to talk about it?” He lifts his hands to his face. “Yeah… We probably should.” He glances at me, tears shining in his eyes. “I had this plan. To come back all heroically, and save you from them. I was going to come back, and I hope you knew that. I hated the look of betrayal in your eyes when I walked out without a word. I am so sorry. I tried to save you by starting the fire. Will you please forgive me?” I take his face in my hands and stare long and hard. “I knew you wanted to save me. And you did, in your own spontaneous way. You knew that we couldn't get out together or no one would let us pass. So instead, you saved me by using that brilliant mind of yours." I hesitated, wondering if I should say it out loud or wait. I took the leap. "I love you Alec. I always have.” His eyes look up, shock filling them. "You do?" He whispers. "Yes, Alastair Howard Grant Stark. I love you." "I love you too, Keira Evelyn Alianova Margaret Rogers." We both laughed as the tea kettle started to whistle, shaking us out of our reverie, and returning us to the real world. "Alec." I say. "Yeah?" He answers. I lift my brow. "You should probably get that." He turns away and pours the tea into cups and hands one to me. "Thanks." I whisper.

After a moment, there was a knock at the door. But not like an actual knock, it was more like something had smacked into it. Alastair's eyes widen. "Oops." He says under his breath. He runs to the door and opens it wide, stepping aside so that whatever was at the door could come in. It was a dog. I gasp and slowly lower myself to its hight. "Is it a he or a she?" I ask. "Her name is Winslet." Winslet bounds over to me and immediately sits in my lap. "Whoah!" I laugh as I fall to the ground under her weight. "Yeah, she's a bit of a handful. She's a Wolf Shepherd." I look up at him and my heart expands. I am home.

March 17, 2022 19:21

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.