0 comments

Contemporary Crime Fiction

Daniel looked at his watch. 

Three minutes, cutting it close.

He sat at the bar, slowly nursing a beer, pretending to be interested in the baseball game playing on the big screen TV. Externally, Daniel displayed a calm demeanor without a care in the world. But internally - despite all his years of experience - he was a nervous wreck.

The phone in his pocket vibrated. Daniel pulled it out, being careful to conceal the screen.

Is the package secure?

In progress, he replied.

Remember, your daughter is counting on you.

Risking his own life was never a problem for Daniel. But this was different. This time it was his daughter’s life that was at stake. He hadn’t seen her since she was a kid. He probably wouldn’t recognize her if he passed her on the street. He didn’t actually believe the woman who called him last night until she mentioned the scar on his daughter’s right hand. 

Being an absent father was a product of his career choice. Daniel figured the best thing he could do for his daughter was to stay away, so he did. He thought he could keep his daughter safe. He wanted more than anything to leave this life behind and maybe someday reconnect with his daughter to be a family again. Clearly, he failed.

His mark sat at the other end of the bar, just like the woman said he would. A heavyset man in a lightweight blue jacket, he had begun kicking back beers as soon as he sat down almost an hour ago. The man was getting loud now. As the brother of the city’s most powerful politician, people weren’t in the habit of telling him when to take it easy. 

The man was trying to hit on the bartender, but she wasn’t interested.. Although that didn’t stop him from trying. With the target clearly inebriated and his attention focused on the girl pouring drinks, this was Daniel’s moment to strike.

His objective was to retrieve the target’s cellphone. To what end, Daniel didn’t know, nor did he care. The less he knew the better.

Daniel got up from his stool and proceeded to head towards the restroom. He began to slowly sway side to side, appearing intoxicated. Approaching from the mark’s left, he stumbled and crashed into the man’s body while simultaneously sliding his right hand into the left jacket pocket of his mark, lifting the phone.

“Hey buddy I’m really sorry,” Daniel said with a slight slur as he backed up and slid the phone in his own back pocket..

“You’re sorry?! Shouted the man as he grabbed Daniel by the collar. “Do you know who I am?!”

“Next one's on me,” Daniel said as he placed a $20 on the bar, which seemed to put the big man at ease.

“Appreciate the gesture. But don’t let it happen again,” he said, letting go of Daniel’s collar.

Daniel nodded and proceeded to the men’s room where he entered the lone stall. Daniel assumed the man would get agitated. But in his experience, money or the promise of more booze smoothed things over more often than not. He checked the phone he snagged. It was password protected, so no temptation to see what was on it.

His phone vibrated in his pocket.

Is it done?

Yes.

Just in time. Your daughter thanks you.

Where is she?

In due time. The brother should be leaving momentarily. Walk out front after he leaves.

Daniel left the men’s room to see two big, muscular bodyguards escorting the man in the blue jacket out of the bar. On time, just like the woman said they would. He saw the trio enter the car waiting out front and drive off. After they were gone, Daniel began to move for the front door. Not only was his mark gone, but the woman behind the bar left and was now standing outside smoking a cigarette As he stood outside, Daniel took out his phone.

Okay now what?

No answer

WHERE’S MY DAUGHTER?

“Excuse me, sir?

“Yes?” he said to the woman who had been behind the bar just a few minutes ago.

“I just want to thank you. That guy, he’s always here and he’s always a problem…he just really gives me the creeps.”

“I didn’t really do anything.”

“Well you didn’t seem drunk enough to do what you did. Either way, it threw him off enough to leave me alone until The Help came to collect him.”

 “The Help?”

“At least, that’s what I call them. They basically come in here every night at the same time to get that asshole.”

“Really? That’s interesting.” Daniel could sense something was off. 

“Anyway, thanks again,” said the woman as she extended her right hand.

Daniel and the woman shook hands, and just as he was about to pull away,  he noticed the scar on the webbing of her thumb and index figure.

“Jamie?”

“Hi, Dad.”

As Jamie greeted her father, two patrol cars pulled up with their sirens on. A total of four officers jumped out of the vehicles with their weapons drawn on Daniel who raised his arms to surrender.

“Relax, fellas. He’s unarmed,” said Jaimie as she moved to stand in front of her father.

The realization that not only was his daughter safe, but that she was also a cop washed over Daniel. He couldn’t help but smile as Jamie moved his hands behind his back and secured the handcuffs. She then reached into Daniel’s back pocket and pulled out the phone he took minutes earlier.

“Thanks for this,” said Jamie, wagging the phone in her hand. “We had been trying to set something up for weeks but, despite how he appears, that guy would be able to sniff our people out. So that’s why we had to go with someone different.”

“You got this? Or do you want us to take him in?” One of the officers said.

“Don’t worry I will take it from here.”

Jamie took her father by the arm and began walking to her car.

“You know, I always dreamed of walking side-by-side with you. I just envisioned it on your wedding day and not in handcuffs.”

“Well, there’s still time. I’m getting married in six months.”

Before Daniel could respond, Jamie opened the back passenger door and ushered him into her unmarked patrol car.

“When did you find me?” asked Daniel.

“About five years ago.”

“What? How? And why didn’t you reach out?”

“First of all, I’m just that damn good. And second, I was too new to the job. I didn’t want it to get out that you were my father.”

“That makes sense.”

Daniel had always envisioned what he would say to his daughter if he ever got the chance to see her again. But now that it was here, he was at a loss for words.

“Look…I’m sorry I wasn’t around when you were growing up. But it was for your own good.”

“My own good?!”

Probably not the best choice of words.

“Well thanks I guess. I’m so lucky to have a dad that wasn’t there.”

“That’s not what I meant,” said Daniel trying to recover.

“Well you could’ve fooled me.”

“All I’m saying is I wasn’t any good for you or for your mother. No matter how much I wanted to stay, I knew I couldn’t. And your mother knew too.”

“Well, if you want you could come to my wedding.”

“That’s going to be kinda hard given the current circumstances.”

“Oh please, I know you have a safety pin in your back pocket. Why do you think I didn’t let anyone frisk you?”

Daniel felt a deep sense of pride in Jamie. But from his position in the back seat, he could see his daughter in the rearview mirror, wiping away a tear.

“I know you didn’t hear this enough from me growing up, but I love you. I know that doesn’t make up for me not being there and I wouldn’t dare try to take any credit in how you turned out. But just know I love you and I think about you every day.”

As Jamie continued driving, both father and daughter sat in silence and they reflected on not only the events of the day, but on everything that happened over the last twenty years that led to this moment. Daniel was about to speak again when Jamie pulled the car over.

“Does this work? She asked.

“Just as good as any,” her father said as he finished opening the handcuffs. After he opened the door that Jamie conveniently left unlocked, he turned back to his daughter. “When’s the big day?”

“February 15th.”

“I wouldn’t miss it for the world. And no need to send an invitation. I will find you this time.”

June 07, 2024 04:28

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

0 comments

RBE | Illustrated Short Stories | 2024-06

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in Reedsy Studio. 100% free.