8 comments

Science Fiction Fiction

Cassidy looked at the two doors in front of her. One had Future written on it in a gold loopy script. The door on the left had past written on it in a black script with edges and lines. Cass gulped as she placed her hand on the door that said past. Her past. Her memories. Everything she had been through. Which should she take? It was a once in a lifetime opportunity. If she chose the wrong one everything would fall apart. She was a magnetcus being. Someone who drifted between periods and eras of time. Someone who could choose. Her parents Luke and Millicent had been full magnetcus's. Cass was only half. She could only choose once. She could only choose once what world to go into. One would remain the past, always a step behind the future. The future would remain ahead. Fast moving and all. She gulped and moved her head. Her light brown hair fell over her shoulders. She tied it in a high ponytail above her horns that curved around themselves. She gulped and placed a hand on the future door. What would it hold? Could she help the people there? Would they think that she was an alien? Cassidy straightened up and looked dead into the peephole of the past.


Horses and carriages were all around. There were people in fancy dresses and church bells could be heard ringing in the distance. Would these people think Cass a witch? Cass gulped. She didn't want that. The sky was dark and looked like it was going to rain. Chatter could be heard but there was no laughter. Just talk. She tore her eyes away from the grey streets.


Cass moved to the future door. She placed her eye next to the peephole. It was different. The wood was darker and richer. The past's door had lighter wood, clearer wood. Those things had already happened. It was clear what would and what had happened. The future was unpredictable.


Cass's gaze averted from the wood and she placed it over the hole. Colours blinded her and sound filled her eardrums. Happiness soared through the air. it radiated through the door. She smiled and looked again. There was talking, chatter. Laughing. Cass knew then. This was where she was supposed to go.


Cass pulled away and placed a hand over the doorknob. She twisted it and let herself in. The door opened. The view was like no other. A large world, it was filled with colour and people and traffic. Cass laughed with giddy relief. She had chosen the right one. her heart slowed down and she flew up a small bit. Her large dark wings flapped and she flew over to a tall building. People scattered as she landed. She was in the future. She gulped as someone approached her.

"What are you?" They asked. They had short purple hair and a ring on their ring finger. A lady came up and stood next to them. She had dark red hair and a ring on her finger. Cassidy gulped and opened her mouth.

"I am a magnetcus. We travel through time, I won't hurt you. We are guardians of the time portals. This is my chosen era of time and I have come to ensure its safety,"

"Welcome then fair magnetcus," The purple-haired person said. Cassidy nodded and the woman gripped her arm.

"Follow us, we will take you to our elders," Cassidy nodded and flew up, following the couple at a distance. The sights were like no other. Each corner they rounded was like a completely new world. Cassidy felt herself land and looked around. The couple had stopped in front of large glass doors. Their blue colour reflected Cassidy's face. She smiled and thanked the couple. She placed her hands on the doors and pushed them open. A bell sounded from somewhere and more colours blinded her. A person with bright yellow hair stepped up to greet her. His name badge read Kevin. He was wearing a weird suit with a tie covered in bananas. Cassidy shook his hand as he led her to the leaders.

"Just through here," He said. He had an intercom thing sticking out of his ear. The couple had had them too. Cassidy guessed they were how they communicated with each other. She felt her gaze slip downward as they travelled across a glass floor. People were working underneath them. Each one was in a different office. Like their own hotel room. Cassidy smiled as one guy looked up at her. He gaped back at her and went back to work. Cassidy landed herself on the floor. Her heels clicked against the glass floor and her blouse ruffled itself in the draft coming through a small window. It was all so futuristic. Kevin stopped outside another set of large doors. He nudged Cassidy forward and he found herself standing in a large room. Chairs were set up all around her and the floor was wooden. A lecture sat at one end and a PowerPoint projector that looked like a hologram sat at the other. Cassidy shivered as the draft increased. The elders arrived. They flew in on a flying car. The draft was caused by the windpipes of the car. Its technology was like no other hat Cassidy had ever seen. There were three elders. A girl, a boy, and another person. Cassidy gulped as they sat down and waited for her to speak.

"I am Cassidy Demewler. I am half magnetcus and I have chosen this as my era to protect. I will never bring harm upon this time and I will ensure its people are happy," Cassidy finished by flourishing her wings. The elders glanced at each other.

"We are aware of your status Miss Demewler. Your parents were good friends of ours,"

"They were?" Her parents had died a couple years ago. Cassidy had hoped someone might have known which time period they had gotten lost in.

"Yes, we were fond of them, we have no doubt you will serve us well, please follow Kevin to your rooms," The woman said. She nodded and Cassidy flew out the doors. Kevin and her walked in silence to her rooms. The glass floor looked down on the officers and workers. Cassidy looked through them. They all looked happier now. Maybe word had gotten out that they had a protector. Cassidy smiled to herself and made sure she flew over the floor. Kevin stopped by a set of large opal coloured doors. Cassidy pushed them open and her breath caught in her throat. A bed lay in one corner, a bookcase in another. It looked so perfect. A delicate curtain hung over one end. They had even added in a burning station. Magnetcuses liked to burn out their fire after a long day. Fire streamed from Cassidy's mouth as she went in. She put it all in the burning station. She had been wanting to do that for a while. Kevin still stood in the doorway.

"Thank you for leading me here," Cassidy said after finishing her fire output. Kevin nodded and headed out, shutting the door behind him. Cassidy sat down on her bed and started to think about all that would happen to her. What wouldn't be like in this time period? She hoped it was good. Her time hadn't even started yet, but she already loved it. She smiled to herself and shut her eyes. Resting for the first time in a while.

May 22, 2021 03:11

You must sign up or log in to submit a comment.

8 comments

18:39 Jun 04, 2021

OMG I LOVE THE BUNNY NAMES!!!!!!!!!! SO CUTEEEE!!!!!!! 😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍😍

Reply

22:35 Jun 04, 2021

Thank you <33

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Monica June
13:15 Jun 03, 2021

I liked this story! Really great imagery, and I like the little flashback things in italics. I do think that the paragraphs could be broken up into smaller, more digestible sections. Other than that, though, great job!!

Reply

Monica June
13:16 Jun 03, 2021

oh- and also at the beginning Future is capitalized but past is not ;)

Reply

21:27 Jun 03, 2021

I’m so glad you liked my story and thanks for the feedback I’ll try and do that in my next story on here :)

Reply

Monica June
23:09 Jun 03, 2021

Of course! Glad I could help :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply
Show 1 reply

Hi Lily, This was an amazing story and I really loved it. I understand if you can't but I'd appreciate it if you gave me some feedback on this one of mine: https://blog.reedsy.com/creative-writing-prompts/contests/95/submissions/68977/#comments

Reply

21:59 May 27, 2021

Thank you! I’m so glad you liked my story and of course I’ll give you feedback on your story :)

Reply

Show 0 replies
Show 1 reply

Bring your short stories to life

Fuse character, story, and conflict with tools in the Reedsy Book Editor. 100% free.